Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

Seriously, where has this mentality that 26 is old cropped up from?

If memory serves me right, in Mike Ashleys infamous statement he said that we wouldn't spend big money on players over 26.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/match-centre/article870103.ece/ALTERNATES/gallery-large/Newcastle-Papiss-Cisse+cropped

That picture :lol:

How apt :lol:

If memory serves me right, in Mike Ashleys infamous statement he said that we wouldn't spend big money on players over 26.

Apart from the obvious Cisse example, i would'nt exactly call £6m  " big money" if i'm honest.

Apart from the obvious Cisse example, i would'nt exactly call £6m  " big money" if i'm honest.

Well, hark at you Mr Moneybags. :icon_king:

Well, hark at you Mr Moneybags. :icon_king:

I meant in footballing terms and even Ashley terms lol, 6k is big money for me lol.

If this deal is dead, I hope we go back to trying to sign a left back (move Santon on the right).  As I think a left footed fullback is still of desperate need.  We were all hoping to sign a left back when the season finished, then we were linked with Debuchy and we all seemed to forget about getting a leftback in.

So again, if this one is dead, lets get back to trying to sign a left back.

This is still possible. When Pardew moved Santon to RB in the second half against ADO I was thinking to myself that Debuchy is not as sure as I thought it was. This is close to being as sad as analyzing Jose's body language but still. :lol:

If this deal is dead, I hope we go back to trying to sign a left back (move Santon on the right).  As I think a left footed fullback is still of desperate need.  We were all hoping to sign a left back when the season finished, then we were linked with Debuchy and we all seemed to forget about getting a leftback in.

So again, if this one is dead, lets get back to trying to sign a left back.

Same here. While Debuchy would be a top class addition I always felt a left footed full back was a priority as Santon is a natural right back in any case. If we don't get Debuchy I still think we should push the boat out to get a genuine replacement for Enrique.

Guest reefatoon

I don't know how anybody can say with certainty that Santon is a natural RB. Nothing in his career, or his play for us, has demonstrated that. He's just right footed, that's it.

You would think a right footed fullback would be able to play right back though wouldn't you?? It must feel more natural than playing on the wrong foot.

I don't know how anybody can say with certainty that Santon is a natural RB. Nothing in his career, or his play for us, has demonstrated that. He's just right footed, that's it.

You would think a right footed fullback would be able to play right back though wouldn't you?? It must feel more natural than playing on the wrong foot.

I'm sure I read he used to be a forward at one point in his career, if so he probably likes to cut inside and shoot. Bit wreckless like, but I've done that before

“Davide Santon’s the left-back here – that’s his favourite position – but it might well be that Davide and Ryan Taylor start at right-back and left-back."

-AP

"At the end of last year Pardew had warned me that his intention was to make me play on the right, but that another would come in too."

-DS

I'm sure I read he used to be a forward at one point in his career, if so he probably likes to cut inside and shoot. Bit wreckless like, but I've done that before

I think he just meant he was an attacking player because he was a right wingerat youth level until Mourinho converted him (or so I read).  I actually think he is a left back and should play there but it's nice that there is some flexibility.

The only thing natural about it is you have the chance to cross with your best foot. From personal experience I have played more on the left than right, mostly because it feels easier all round from a right foot perspective.

The only thing natural about it is you have the chance to cross with your best foot. From personal experience I have played more on the left than right, mostly because it feels easier all round from a right foot perspective.

the only times i've found it makes much difference what foot you kick with and what side you play on is if you have the mindset of hitting the bye-line whenever you can. there are advantages and disadvantages to whichever side you play on.

the only times i've found it makes much difference what foot you kick with and what side you play on is if you have the mindset of hitting the bye-line whenever you can. there are advantages and disadvantages to whichever side you play on.

I like the full backs to be able to overlap, get past the last man and whip a cross in. That tends to be less effective if you are cutting back inside.

I like the full backs to be able to overlap, get past the last man and whip a cross in. That tends to be less effective if you are cutting back inside.

i like them to be able to cut in and get a shot in. with some bottle to shoot santon could've scored a few last season.

We've seen Santon do both to be fair though. He's good enough to play Left back long term. The cutting in from the left onto his right could be a good weapon for us.