Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

It's like the old cookery show where someone gives the chef a sausage, a tub of lard and some lettuce and goes "there you go, make a meal out of that!"

Debuchy remains keen on the switch and Newcastle know that his arrival would dramatically increase their chances of holding on to his best friend, Yohan Cabaye.

Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal both showed an interest in Cabaye in the summer and Newcastle do not want to lose their playmaking central midfielder.

Lille have proved to be difficult negotiators, twice increasing the asking price for the France international, prompting Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias to pull out of talks.

Newcastle were initially led to believe the full-back would be available for around £5 million, but Lille, with their coffers swelled by the sale of Eden Hazard to Chelsea for £32 million, raised that to £8 million.

Llambias is likely to return with a bid of around £7 million and the Newcastle hierarchy are confident the deal will happen as Debuchy continues to push for the move.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9673220/Newcastle-United-to-make-move-for-Lille-defender-Mathieu-Debuchy-in-effort-to-keep-Yohan-Cabaye.html

Probably as meaningless as the other link but what ever.

Nothing in that and even if it were we have much bigger problems than upgrading Simpson now unfortunately.

He's still the weakest player in our first choice XI.

True but even so with how we are playing at the moment i'm not sure we would get the best out of almost any signing we would make.

The way we are playing is more of a concern to me at the moment than any potential signings.

Whilst it by no means excuses the style of football we're currently producing, a proper RB would help us out. We're extremely unbalanced at the moment. Santon gets into good attacking positions and overlaps whoever is on the left but on the right we're pretty much solely relying on Ben Arfa to create everything. I struggle to think of Simpson getting into the box which doesn't help us out one bit. Signing a RB to replace Simpson would at least offer us another outlet down that side of the pitch.

Be nice if Santon actually crossed from his left once in a while. That stopping, turning around and giving it to someone else thing is starting to get on my nerves tbh.

That's what you get if you put a right footed player on the wrong side. In the European game where Cisse last scored a proper goal, all the goals came from players crossing from wide, rather than cutting into a crowded penalty area.

Being reported in France that Debuchy and Landreau no longer is a part of "the council of elders", consisting of experienced players like Mavuba, Balmont and Pedretti. Also that he will continue to push for a move. Hopefully we'll get him as early as January.

Think we must have already sent instructions to Debuchy. Watching a re-run of Lorient v Lille on ESPN. 30 seconds in, Debuchy gets the ball, punts it 50 yards in the direction of Roux...lose possession.

He'll fit in perfectly.

Although I do like the look of Debuchy, I do think that in general full backs and hard working wingers - especially flank running types have an earlier average age of peak and decline than most positions, and Debuchy is slap bang in the middle of this period.

We are seeing what is happening with Jonas, with him not looking as quick or sharp as before, and sruggling to adapt to a new role.

With the management structure we have, would we therefore get more benefits from uncovering another Santon rather than someone who maahy come off the boil quickly like what happened to Beye?