Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

More faith in him coming good for us than Santon, he is used to the league and seems to be making no progress at all.

Word fail me.

Did you send an error report?

Don't think that's too extreme an opinion by Skirge there, personally.

I will say, for all of his defensive problems - there are things he does, attacking wise that only a handful of players in the league can do. He's actually really good at sneaking up and beating an offside trap to get free to create a chance on goal for himself. When/IF our 2 CB's are playing better or we have a better more stable partnership, Debuchy will finally be able to show his true abilities.  I notice every time he puts in a good shift for France, the 2 CB's are in fine form and are sweeping up for Debuchy and Evra who are really high up the pitch.

That may NEVER work for us, but I just find it worth noting -- when France did lose the ball their CB's or CM's were marking very well and Debuchy would race back and get back into position.

Again, not sure he'll ever show his true worth for us when we have such an unstable CB partnership. I will counter that and say the manager should recognize how exposed we get with Debuchy acting like a RM sometimes and basically tell him he's only allowed to venture forward in certain circumstances and if Davide is pushed up on the other side, he'll have to hold his position and play defensively.

I will say, for all of his defensive problems - there are things he does, attacking wise that only a handful of players in the league can do. He's actually really good at sneaking up and beating an offside trap to get free to create a chance on goal for himself. When/IF our 2 CB's are playing better or we have a better more stable partnership, Debuchy will finally be able to show his true abilities.  I notice every time he puts in a good shift for France, the 2 CB's are in fine form and are sweeping up for Debuchy and Evra who are really high up the pitch.

That may NEVER work for us, but I just find it worth noting -- when France did lose the ball their CB's or CM's were marking very well and Debuchy would race back and get back into position.

Again, not sure he'll ever show his true worth for us when we have such an unstable CB partnership. I will counter that and say the manager should recognize how exposed we get with Debuchy acting like a RM sometimes and basically tell him he's only allowed to venture forward in certain circumstances and if Davide is pushed up on the other side, he'll have to hold his position and play defensively.

I think it's one of those things where you need good clear instructions from your manager exactly what your role is and how the back four are expected to perform in tandem. With France Debuchy is obviously a lot happier in how the team sets up and plays, with us everything is a lot more disjointed.

Guest bimpy474

Our massive problem with this is that we never have a proper holding player, one who drops in between the two CB's to make a three, allowing better cover if our attack breaks down. Our midfield just leave them to it. For me this is tactical thing that Pardew has failed to address for a long time.

If you want your FB's to push high up then you to have a holding player who stays there, we simply dont, and get caught over and over again because of it. As you say making Debuchy and Santon look worse. Mind you they have been guilty of very poor play too.

Too many times our "holding" player has 0 positional discipline to sit -- that's his role, to sit, but too busy roaming around are too far forward. Anita and Tiote, if played, need to be camped out on top of the middle circle, if we lose ball, try to close down, if not hold position and support the CBs...frustrating how poorly the defense is being instructed.

I think our backs look worse b/c of our inability to have a strong defensive spine, at the end of the day.