Bayern Munich 1-1 Chelsea - Chelsea win on pens - TRIFFIC

Mike

That was a brilliant game to watch. Bayern have really impressed me in this competition. Talent-wise, I think they are the third best team in Europe, and don't understand why they don't have the consistency to outdo Dortmund in their own league. Chelsea' counter-attacking strategy didn't work as well yesterday because Bayern don't flood players forward like Barca and Mata, Bertand, and Kalou were all very poor. Still, they showed the same incredible resiliency that has seen through every stage, the back seven and Drogba all stood up tall, and they were worthy winners.

Mikel was superb. Was a wall and used the ball well.

Despite his attraction to Tiote's head, I'm very happy for the guy. He takes so much criticism in his home country mostly because of the way his transfer/hype transpired and the fact that he was built up as the new Okocha. I think he has really turned himself into a very good player at the highest level, and this should be respected more by his people. Believe he's the first CL winner we've had since Kanu, as well.

Drogba is unbelievable, btw. In games like this he stands ten feet tall in a field of miniature men. For me, he is one of the most memorable players of this era. Love him or hate him (and I have done plenty of both during his time in France and England) but if you are a football supporter he has made an indelible mark on the sport. He, along with Lampard and Essien (who have been model citizens of the game, imo) deserve this.

Despite all I said above, Chelsea are still in a precarious position regarding the league, and need heavy investment/replacement. We can challenge them again next season, and hopefully finish above.

Bayern's weekness is a few players who are inconsistent and / or minded for personal glory not the team, and that their manager atm isn't concerned with tactics, by accounts he just lets all the players do their thing on the pitch, which is good enough to beat most teams, but isn't good enough to win the champions league (albeit come close, and really should have done, they'd be lucky to face a team giving them so many chances in the final again) and not good enough to beat Dortmund who have an excellent coach, and a team brimming with confidence.

Drogba is unbelievable, btw. In games like this he stands ten feet tall in a field of miniature men. For me, he is one of the most memorable players of this era. Love him or hate him (and I have done plenty of both during his time in France and England) but if you are a football supporter he has made an indelible mark on the sport.

Yep. When it matters he's the best striker I've ever seen play on these shores.

When you look at them both on and off the pitch, it would have been a real travesty if Drogba and Lampard had failed to win the Champions League.

Torres wants to leave Chelsea, if hes not guranteed first team football. Interesting! Can see him going to PSG or a Russian club.

Yea I could see PSG or back to Spain.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm happy for Lampard and althnough Drogba can be a detestable twat on the pitch at times, off it he's the biggest role model to Africans than anyone alive past or present and I include Nelson Mandela in that, and therefore I'm also happy for him too. Drogba is such a big game player and he along with Lampard must surely be their best players of all-time. This was an epic match in terms of drama and is good for our game in terms of promoting the Premier League as the best but once again, money buys success. Ironically though this success for Chelsea came on the back of what is arguably their worst team and spell since Abramovic bought the club which proves that team spirit counts for an awful lot. Like Gary Neville said mind, when its your turn or time, there is nowt stopping you.

Agree that the calibre of some of the players Chelsea have had during the Abramovic era and the service those players have given to the club makes them worthy of being European Cup winners. The likes of Drogba, Lampard, Cech, Cole and Terry, despite a few of their individual personal qualities, have served the club tremendously.

However I can't help but wish they'd have won it in 2004-06 or 2009/10 when they were more of an attacking set-up.

Guest Howaythetoon

he's the biggest role model to Africans than anyone alive past or present and I include Nelson Mandela in that

:lol: You really think so?

To a lot of younger African people aye. Of course historically Mandela will be held in higher esteem if one was to have a good old hard think about who the biggest African role models actually are, but when it comes to celebrity today, Drogab is up there with anyone including Mandela. Every African I know be they Nigerian or Kenyan, regard him as a role model and a massive inspiration. Ask an average African which fellow African they admire most and look up to most and I bet Drogba's name will rank high even more so than Mandela.

By the way I really should have said current....

he's the biggest role model to Africans than anyone alive past or present and I include Nelson Mandela in that

To a lot of younger African people aye. Of course historically Mandela will be held in higher esteem if one was to have a good old hard think about who the biggest African role models actually are, but when it comes to celebrity today, Drogab is up there with anyone including Mandela. Every African I know be they Nigerian or Kenyan, regard him as a role model and a massive inspiration. Ask an average African which fellow African they admire most and look up to most and I bet Drogba's name will rank high even more so than Mandela.

:thup: Fair enough. My laughter wasn't directed at you, btw. It was more at the audacity of the statement, it caught me out. There is undoubtedly justification for it, though. His work in Cote D'Ivoire is frankly amazing and it is a blessing that such a high profile figure has gone back home and contributed some much instead of abandoning his people for money, fame, and comfort like so many do. It should provide some respite for these people that are suffering.

Guest Howaythetoon

:thup: Fair enough. My laughter wasn't directed at you, btw. It was more at the audacity of the statement, it caught me out. There is undoubtedly justification for it, though. His work in Cote D'Ivoire is frankly amazing and it is a blessing that such a high profile figure has gone back home and contributed some much instead of abandoning his people for money, fame, and comfort like so many do. It should provide some respite for these people that are suffering.

Aye, I wasn't trying to belittle or disregard what Mandela means to people or anything, just trying to highlight what Drogba means to Africans in general, not just in a sporting sense. He transcends rivalry, tribalism, politics, the lot. Even to me, a western white man, Drogba is an inspiration. From a footballing sense he arrived late so to speak and even when he first joined Chelsea, despite an amazing time at Marseille, he didn't perform as a world-class player at first. He got there though and that should be an inspiration to anyone in football and indeed outside of the game in terms of what one can achieve. People talk about Weah and Etoo but for me Drogba's story is greater and he for me he is the most symbolic face of Africa if you like, certainly in terms of celebrity and sport, and importantly, a positive face.

To a lot of younger African people aye. Of course historically Mandela will be held in higher esteem if one was to have a good old hard think about who the biggest African role models actually are, but when it comes to celebrity today, Drogba is up there with anyone including Mandela. Every African I know be they Nigerian or Kenyan, regard him as a role model and a massive inspiration. Ask an average African which fellow African they admire most and look up to most and I bet Drogba's name will rank high even more so than Mandela.

Aye, I wasn't trying to belittle or disregard what Mandela means to people or anything, just trying to highlight what Drogba means to Africans in general, not just in a sporting sense. He transcends rivalry, tribalism, politics, the lot. Even to me, a western white man, Drogba is an inspiration. From a footballing sense he arrived late so to speak and even when he first joined Chelsea, despite an amazing time at Marseille, he didn't perform as a world-class player at first. He got there though and that should be an inspiration to anyone in football and indeed outside of the game in terms of what one can achieve. People talk about Weah and Eto'o but for me Drogba's story is greater and he for me he is the most symbolic face of Africa if you like, certainly in terms of celebrity and sport, and importantly, a positive face.

Catts for me like.  :ninja: