Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Guest Slippery Sam

He was the difference today, we move the ball far quicker and more positively when he's on the field.

The thing is the guy can quickly spot a pass and, just as importantly, make it. I haven't seen a huge amount of him, but he looks pretty good.

I actually think Tiote starting and Anita sub for 2nd half isnt a bad idea.

It is if we're against sides we need to beat. Tiote brings nothing in that respect.

Exactly, so in a match like today starting Tiote and bringing on Anita for him late on when Cheick has helped us stay in the match is, as Zero suggests, not a bad idea (I know Cheick got injured today, but that's not relevant to this argument).

P.S. I've heard people compare our approach to Benfica at home last season. Massive difference when you play a better team at home in the league (where a draw would be a good result), or a team in a two legged knock out competition and you know beforehand you need to beat them by at least two after having lost the first tie.

Obertan played his part on that btw.

Sorry Dave can't agree with that, he was meandering up and down the touch line without a clue, mostly away from goal. If Anita wasn't buzzing around like a wasp on steroids making space it'd have come to nothing. Anita crafted that and did all the work.

Anita is an invaluable member of the squad - it is becoming apparent why he was so highly rated by Ronald De Boer at Ajax because he is a player who, by all accounts, gives no problems to the club off the field and doesn't complain when he isn't selected every week. He has vision and his interceptions are often crucial. His skill on the ball and support of the attack was the main reason we got a second goal yesterday and under a better manager, he would be a mainstay of the side. This is only his second season in the PL and he is adapting really well. He doesn't dwell on the ball when a simple early pass will be better, unlike HBA for example.

A very good player and we got a bargain.

The build up to the second goal was like a moment in time where everything and everyone momentarily froze, and this little gem took it upon himself to carve out the second goal we badly needed to kill the game off. For about 9 seconds there was no match, no Chelsea, no teammates, no Pardew, no fans, no dodgy owner, no Wonga. Just a ball, a wall (Obertan) and a tiny dancer named Vurn.

That's how I saw it anyway  :love: