Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Don't forget Cisse himself. A player that contributes nothing.

Simply put: keeping on as many match winners as possible when chasing a game in the last 25 minutes is something 95% of managers do.  Especially when a team has so few. 

Pardew took off a more defensive player for a striker and kept on his AM. He would be criticised for being too defensive if he had taken off an attacker for an attacker.

It may not have been the correct substitution but it was logical and made sense.

Agreed, BUT, Anita was having a very good game as well, and was as likely to pop up with an assist, a goal, or even just create an opening as anyone else on the pitch. It isn't an argument about whether Anita or Cabaye should have been taken off. Both of them could have been kept on the pitch, and with a slight re-jig of the formation, we could have kept the pressure on. The point is rendered moot in this case because of the injury to Nasri IMO.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Cabaye for Marveux would have been my change, would have taken off Gouffran for Ben Arfa before that though.

Man City would have easily won the midfield battle and put 2-3 goals past us.

Guest bimpy474

Cabaye for Marveux would have been my change, would have taken off Gouffran for Ben Arfa before that though.

They did put 2 past us :)

Have to disagree. They struggled to cope with Ben Arfa for even 10 minutes. Anita/Tiote had the midfield battle in their pockets, wasn't until Anita came off we stopped picking up the second balls and lost control. Cabaye was the one who was looking ineffective behind Remy from an attacking point of view.

Have to disagree. They struggled to cope with Ben Arfa for even 10 minutes. Anita/Tiote had the midfield battle in their pockets, wasn't until Anita came off we stopped picking up the second balls and lost control. Cabaye was the one who was looking ineffective behind Remy from an attacking point of view.

I don't like Cabaye in that role at all.

Me either, don't think we really have one. Would have liked to seen Marv dropped in there for 15 minutes against City though.

Me either, don't think we really have one. Would have liked to seen Marv dropped in there for 15 minutes against City though.

Does anyone else than Pardew like Cabaye in that role?

:lol:

Well he's tried Cabaye/Ben Arfa/Sissoko in the role, he's kind of running out of options really. I don't particuarly like any of them in that position as they are better elsewhere. Would help if we just signed someone who is suitable for that role.

Cabaye isn't very good in the advanced role tbh, he doesn't have the agility or dynamism to escape his markers in tight spaces.

His best role is playing in between Tiote and an advanced midfielder, sadly though the only player we have that can fulfill that role Marveaux hasn't been seen in ages.

So we are forced to play Cabaye in a position where he struggles because we have no one else, he's no AM that's for sure.

Said this awhile ago when people were crying out for him to play further forward.

He's at his best with time and space to pick a pass.. preferrably long distance, he doesn't get that higher up. He's a good finisher when running onto the ball from deeper, whether in the box or outside. He's not like Nolan who could find space in the box if it was crowded...

And then there's the slow feet/no pace..

His position for France is just perfect. He's not the deepest nor the furthest forward whenever i've seen them.

Don't know why we can't play a real 4-3-3. Our wide players are so deep that we need a CM to always be pished up,

Said this awhile ago when people were crying out for him to play further forward.

He's at his best with time and space to pick a pass.. preferrably long distance, he doesn't get that higher up. He's a good finisher when running onto the ball from deeper, whether in the box or outside. He's not like Nolan who could find space in the box if it was crowded...

His position for France is just perfect. He's not the deepest nor the furthest forward whenever i've seen them.

Don't know why we can't play a real 4-3-3. Our wide players are so deep that we need a CM to always be pished up,

3 flat CMs behind the front 3 should be more than enough cover for Ben Arfa (on his respective side). If that means Anita b/c of his intelligence and discipline over Sissoko, so be it. Cabaye should always be the main-stay of the 3 with a combination of Tiote, Anita, Sissoko if we never use Marveaux in that #10 role

Don't forget Cisse himself. A player that contributes nothing.

Simply put: keeping on as many match winners as possible when chasing a game in the last 25 minutes is something 95% of managers do.  Especially when a team has so few. 

Pardew took off a more defensive player for a striker and kept on his AM. He would be criticised for being too defensive if he had taken off an attacker for an attacker.

It may not have been the correct substitution but it was logical and made sense.

Agreed, BUT, Anita was having a very good game as well, and was as likely to pop up with an assist, a goal, or even just create an opening as anyone else on the pitch. It isn't an argument about whether Anita or Cabaye should have been taken off. Both of them could have been kept on the pitch, and with a slight re-jig of the formation, we could have kept the pressure on. The point is rendered moot in this case because of the injury to Nasri IMO.

is the right answer i suppose, don't necessarily disagree with keeping "match-winners" on the pitch, who would (?), but in the context of that game i disagreed fundamentally with taking anita off and always will

Agree with this, it suits the personnel we've got. Gouffran on the left side of a front 3 would be really interesting, as would recalling Ben Arfa to the right side.

A midfield of any 3 from Cabaye, Anita, Tiote and Sissoko should work too.