Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

His long range passing isn't very good, but apart from that he's our best passer of a ball. Has good vision and awareness and this combined with his quick feet and mind makes us tick and play the ball a lot quicker. Our other players get more time and space on the ball because he's very good at doing the simple stuff really really well. Good movement and positioning as well.

His long range passing isn't very good, but apart from that he's our best passer of a ball. Has good vision and awareness and this combined with his quick feet and mind makes us tick and play the ball a lot quicker. Our other players get more time and space on the ball because he's very good at doing the simple stuff really really well. Good movement and positioning as well.

Yeah, you need the other players to something with the ball though. That's my issue!

Yeah, you need the other players to something with the ball though. That's my issue!

So your issue isn't with him?  ???

So your issue isn't with him?  ???

Probs need to read my longer post on the page before, soz.

I thought you were talking about Anita? :lol: His technical ability (first touch) combined with the rest of his skille is vital and makes us more fluid.

The other players play better with him in the side.

Something that affected Anitas game last night was that there wasn't any player between our midfield and attack (Remy) giving him the option of playing a quick pass forward through the center. He's very effective at this, receiving the ball and quickly play it forward if possible.

Wish i could be sold on this guy, but i'm not.... :(

What is it that has you unconvinced? He does what he does very well imo.

I feel like i must be missing something, i really do!

Is he a defensive hard nut, like Roy Keane? No.

Is he like Makalele then, clever postioning, always winning the ball back with great interceptions or brilliantly timed tackles, the sort of guy that you KNOW the oppostion won't get past? No.

Is he a deep lying playmaker then with a great range of passes, like, say...Carrick? No.

Is he like Dyer then, brings the ball out at speed, running it upfield? No.

Can you think of any other player you'd be confident playing him with in just a 2 man midfield?

That last question is the crux for me. Anita seems like a facilitator, someone with a good 1st touch which allows him to move the ball on quickly but without the range of passes to be effective as an attacking force, a good engine but without attributes to impose himself defensively.

I wanna be wrong like but i think, if we sign a midfielder then he will be the one dropped.

I think he's doing a lot better this season than last I think that's clear to see but I agree with all these points especially regarding a midfield 2... He's got to be utilised in a 3 hence why sometimes he's the fall guy... Willing him to well as he's definitely got something our other midfielders haven't...

The thing I like about this guy is that he doesn't try too many 'hollywood balls' (see Tiote, Cheik and Butt, Nicky) because he knows his long passing ain't too great. He keeps things nice and simple, on the deck, has a good eye for a through ball when he's far enough up the pitch, and his tenacity and harrying off the ball is so so valuable.

Great player who I think will continue to improve, as long as we don't play him in a midfield two.

He's not in the same bracket but neither Makelel nor Xavi is best suited to a flat midfield 2. Xavi doesn't fit into any of your holes either.

I don't think think you've seen much of Keane if you call hum

Best comparison I can think of is A more defensive Ramires. Maybe even Marchisio

As per normal, i'm no wiser for reading your posts. They don't contain much.

If you don't like Vurn your view on what makes a good footballer is weird IMO. Intelligent, nippy around the pitch, reads the game, keeps it simple, moves off the ball.  Stupid listing all the things he isn't, what he is is a class act.

Gosh, you're convincing :lol:

If you don't like Vurn your view on what makes a good footballer is weird IMO. Intelligent, nippy around the pitch, reads the game, keeps it simple, moves off the ball.  Stupid listing all the things he isn't, what he is is a class act.

Gosh, you're convincing :lol:

Not bothered about convincing you, just giving my opinion on the guy.

Lotus if you're comparing him to some of the best defensive midfielders of the last 10-20 years then you're always going to be disappointed.

He has a role to play in our team and atm is doing it well.

Lotus if you're comparing him to some of the best defensive midfielders of the last 10-20 years then you're always going to be disappointed.

He has a role to play in our team and atm is doing it well.

I wasn't.

Would like to see him and Ben Arfa in the same side every single time. Anita's qualities are tailor made for players like Ben Arfa giving him that extra bit of time and space on the ball. In a weird sense, they should form a "double act" around the pitch where they stay close to each other so that the dutchman can feed the frenchman, and allow the magic to happen.

In a rigid midfield system, a player like Ben Arfa has two options: run to the by-line and cross, or take on the entire team and try to score a wondergoal. Obviously that's counter productive most of the time. HBA is not JUST a luxury flair player. He's a damn fine footballer with great technique, quick feet and a burst of pace. If we can optimise the use of this skillset, we'd do a lot better in attack. A player like Anita greatly enhances the chances of that happening.

I imagine little Vurn following fatboy around giving him possession, and sticking close by for those quick little interchanges that can create an opening of sort. Not rocket science.

I like him, i just don't think he had one of his better games for us last night.

I like him, i just don't think he had one of his better games for us last night.

That's cool.

I thought the game passed him by last night.

Thought the same. Would love it if he was more active, you never see Tiote go missing for 15 minutes inside the match.

I honestly am amazed at some of the perspectives people have of the game, Anita was very impressive last night, I'd go as far to say that was his best game for us. He seemed not to misplace a pass, covered so much ground and kept the game ticking over for us.

I think people mistake him being very consistent at everything, but not great at something as a debilitating facet, I would argue the contrary he really does offer a lot when he plays like that. Also helps that Tiote has found some of his first season form again.

The system is good for both him an tiote, the 4231 really allows them to recover ball and quickly move it forward and back the forward guys without losing too much position.

Long may it continue!

P.S. People have mentioned and I agree, Marv would surely fit perfectly into this system? Grenier better?

He's not in the same bracket but neither Makelel nor Xavi is best suited to a flat midfield 2. Xavi doesn't fit into any of your holes either.

I don't think think you've seen much of Keane if you call hum

Best comparison I can think of is A more defensive Ramires. Maybe even Marchisio

Might have missed something hare but you think the best comparison for Anita is a more defensive Ramires? In what ways exactly? Ramires offers much more going forward and defensively. What Anita does best is dictate tempo, always offering a chance to his teammates to pass the ball. He makes us tick, but he doesn't make any runs or win tons of balls in midfield.

His runs are made to receive the ball and "help/facilittate" the pass from a teammate, I agree he doesn't get forward much but what he does do well is act like a pinball buffer thingymajig which pings the ball to others who have a more defined forward role... Headfunk!