Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

His runs are made to receive the ball and "help/facilittate" the pass from a teammate, I agree he doesn't get forward much but what he does do well is act like a pinball buffer thingymajig which pings the ball to others who have a more defined forward role... Headfunk!

:thup:

He's basically the heart of the team. We just lack a brain now that Cabaye is gone.

I thought the game passed him by last night.

Thought the same. Would love it if he was more active, you never see Tiote go missing for 15 minutes inside the match.

I honestly am amazed at some of the perspectives people have of the game, Anita was very impressive last night, I'd go as far to say that was his best game for us. He seemed not to misplace a pass, covered so much ground and kept the game ticking over for us.

I think people mistake him being very consistent at everything, but not great at something as a debilitating facet, I would argue the contrary he really does offer a lot when he plays like that. Also helps that Tiote has found some of his first season form again.

The system is good for both him an tiote, the 4231 really allows them to recover ball and quickly move it forward and back the forward guys without losing too much position.

Long may it continue!

P.S. People have mentioned and I agree, Marv would surely fit perfectly into this system? Grenier better?

That was nowhere near his best game for us. All his more ambitious passing was a waste and he was a passenger at times. Too many times he's just jogging behind the opposition's midfield when Tiote has the ball instead of making himself available. Tiote completed 38 of his 51 passes while Anita had 29 out of 37. Tiote completes more passes than him every game and I would like Anita to get closer to Tiote's numbers as he really is great in short passing. I really like him but he could be so much better if he was more active when we have possession and joins the attacks more frequently.

'Makes us tick' is also becoming a pet hate of mine, it's mentioned in 50% of the posts about him. :lol:

His runs are made to receive the ball and "help/facilittate" the pass from a teammate, I agree he doesn't get forward much but what he does do well is act like a pinball buffer thingymajig which pings the ball to others who have a more defined forward role... Headfunk!

He's basically the heart of the team. We just lack a brain now that Cabaye is gone.

That 'tackle' for the penalty was shocking, surprised he hasnt got more stick for it tbh.

was weird on the replay, the ball went through his legs strangely otherwise he'd have nailed the tackle

bit unfortunate in a way but should never have committed there tbh

Guest WashyGeordie

That 'tackle' for the penalty was shocking, surprised he hasnt got more stick for it tbh.

But then if Santon/Sammy didn't go for 1 player, and if 1 matched the run of Bardsley for the Pen incident there would of been no need for Anita to even make the tackle in the first place.

He's nothing like Cabaye yet I think he'll be expected to perform a similar role.

Yep, said it after the Norwich game that it looked like he'd been told to try a few more ambitious balls.

Don't think his tackle was too bad to be fair to him though.

Read an article on TheMag website in which the writer called him a Championship player. Dear me.

Get the ball on the deck, get the play going through him and Ben Arfa, and we'd probably get some decent results out of it. Anita is such a waste of a talent in a Pardew team.

It was a nice little system with the 3 in midfield of Cabaye, Tiote, Anita, they all had their own roles our passing game Tiote the interceptor Anita would then mop it up put the ball where it needs to be and Cabaye would round the move off.

If we are going to play both Tiote and Anita it has to be in a 3 man midfield, basically we need a Cabaye replacement, Ben Arfa shouldn't be anywhere expect the wing IMO, cant hack it anywhere else.