Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

If they intended to take the game into the air, why let them take the initiative and respond to how they wanted to play. Nullify it, keep the ball on the floor and don't let them do what suits them.

I'm not sure i understand that.....

You can keep the ball on the floor all you like when you have it.

If the other team want to lump every time you can't change that by simply keeping it pretty when you have it. You do have to be able to deal with the aerial ball.

If they intended to take the game into the air, why let them take the initiative and respond to how they wanted to play. Nullify it, keep the ball on the floor and don't let them do what suits them.

I'm not sure i understand that.....

You can keep the ball on the floor all you like when you have it.

If the other team want to lump every time you can't change that by simply keeping it pretty when you have it. You do have to be able to deal with the aerial ball.

i imagine the intent would be to deal with their high ball and counter it by keeping it yourself by winning the second ball*, and keeping it on the ground when you get it...can't see how the 2 things are mutually exclusive, plenty of clubs come under pressure from long ball football, they don't all answer that by camping on the edge of their own box and wheeling out a corpse to kick the ball 50 yards at

*arguably our best second ball winner just happens to be big vurn :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Agree but as much as I like him and what he brings he'll never be a Cabaye replacement in terms of what he offers in terms of goals, incisive passing and free kicks. We desparately need to sign somebody that can complement Anita and Tiote as the midfield. I'd be going for somebody with less defensive responsibility than Cabaye had but with better dribbling ability and control in tight spaces (the one area I think Cabaye lacked, he was more or less ace at everything else). Something closer to a proper #10.

Agree but as much as I like him and what he brings he'll never be a Cabaye replacement in terms of what he offers in terms of goals, incisive passing and free kicks. We desparately need to sign somebody that can complement Anita and Tiote as the midfield. I'd be going for somebody with less defensive responsibility than Cabaye had but with better dribbling ability and control in tight spaces (the one area I think Cabaye lacked, he was more or less ace at everything else). Something closer to a proper #10.

:thup:

I really hope Pardew sees what this man brings to our team. His energy and movement transforms us to some degree. We win time on the ball because of his technique, he imposes more pressure on the ball and is always finding space. I think he's "freeing" us up. We've collapsed, both on and off the ball, when he's been subbed lately.

Fair play to him for sticking through a difficult start as well, he's coming into his own now and getting much deserved praise.

I really hope Pardew sees what this man brings to our team. His energy and movement transforms us to some degree. We win time on the ball because of his technique, he imposes more pressure on the ball and is always finding space. I think he's "freeing" us up. We've collapsed, both on and off the ball, when he's been subbed lately.

Fair play to him for sticking through a difficult start as well, he's coming into his own now and getting much deserved praise.

We also win the ball much higher up the pitch with him in the team due to his excellent reading of the game and harrying in midfield. Cracking player, but like Sewelly said, he will never be a Cabaye replacement unfortunately.

Someone tell Vurnon he's allowed in their box from time to time :thup:

tbf - i noticed him 1-2 times in each of the last 2 matches where he took the late run into the box and had a free position - but the pass from either remy and sammy didn´t come.

Guest Roger Kint

Someone tell Vurnon he's allowed in their box from time to time :thup:

We will need him for front post flick on's if Santon continues to take corners......

Wish i could be sold on this guy, but i'm not.... :(

What is it that has you unconvinced? He does what he does very well imo.

I feel like i must be missing something, i really do!

Is he a defensive hard nut, like Roy Keane? No.

Is he like Makalele then, clever postioning, always winning the ball back with great interceptions or brilliantly timed tackles, the sort of guy that you KNOW the oppostion won't get past? No.

Is he a deep lying playmaker then with a great range of passes, like, say...Carrick? No.

Is he like Dyer then, brings the ball out at speed, running it upfield? No.

Can you think of any other player you'd be confident playing him with in just a 2 man midfield?

That last question is the crux for me. Anita seems like a facilitator, someone with a good 1st touch which allows him to move the ball on quickly but without the range of passes to be effective as an attacking force, a good engine but without attributes to impose himself defensively.

I wanna be wrong like but i think, if we sign a midfielder then he will be the one dropped.