Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

I don't think one's exclusive to the other tbh.

Surely it holds significance in terms of budget.

Do you think we have a set budget? I think we showed with Cisse if a relative bargain is to be had, he'll get it. Why risk waiting until the summer and paying £10-12m for someone when he could pay £8m now? Think we could see something similar here. We might have not planned to buy a midfielder until January or even next summer but if a bargain comes up, I think he'd go for it early.

So maybe this meeting did happen yesterday....

I'd put another midfielder 2nd in the priority list behind Debuchy - I can definitely see why we're in for him, I'm just shocked we're paying such a fee for 'competition' rather than a nailed on starter.

If we're talking squad cover, releasing Danny Guthrie - signed for £2.5m and apparently paid a pittance by Premier League players' standards - on a free and replacing him with a £7m Holland international from Ajax doesn't seem like a very 'Mike Ashley' thing to do.

Signing a Dutch international relatively cheap with the potential to sell for a lot more a few years down the line though, is very 'Mike Ashley'.

Hang on, everyone says we don't actually do this.

Do they? :lol:

If we're talking squad cover, releasing Danny Guthrie - signed for £2.5m and apparently paid a pittance by Premier League players' standards - on a free and replacing him with a £7m Holland international from Ajax doesn't seem like a very 'Mike Ashley' thing to do.

Signing a Dutch international relatively cheap with the potential to sell for a lot more a few years down the line though, is very 'Mike Ashley'.

Hang on, everyone says we don't actually do this.

he said "potential" to sell. most clubs do this. it's why talanetd 23 year olds tend to comand higher prices than  similarly talented 33yr olds

I've just watched three of four clips of this guy on Youtube, there's some good 5-10 min long videos of him if anyone hasn't seen him yet.

The player that immediately came to mind when watching it was Leon Britton. He plays deep and keeps the ball moving tidily, always offering an option for the defenders. I did notice a lack of pressing from the opposition in all the highlights though, so I guess anyone could look half decent in those circumstances.

Intriguing to see how we'd fit him in as people have already said.

That was pretty much the case when we played against swansea aswell, the lack of pressing on britton was there for everyone to watch. It's the style of play, and tbf, I don't like that style of play and glad Pardew opts for the more direct counter attacking style, hopefully on the ground.

Guest neesy111

Erm, Guthrie rejected a new contract so we didn't release him.

I don't think one's exclusive to the other tbh.

Surely it holds significance in terms of budget.

Do you think we have a set budget? I think we showed with Cisse if a relative bargain is to be had, he'll get it. Why risk waiting until the summer and paying £10-12m for someone when he could pay £8m now? Think we could see something similar here. We might have not planned to buy a midfielder until January or even next summer but if a bargain comes up, I think he'd go for it early.

I wouldn't say £7m was 'a bargain' really. That's very good money for a player you expect to start every week barring injuries or suspensions, and he'd have to do really well to command 'a lot more' as you suggest. The fees Liverpool and City/Chelsea are paying are ridiculous, they're not the norm IMO.

I'm just shocked we're paying such a fee for 'competition' rather than a nailed on starter.

Who says he wont start?

I am not sure he won't be a starter it may be in a 2 man CM alongside Tiote or at fullback.

Erm, Guthrie rejected a new contract so we didn't release him.

Impossible to prove but I bet he'd have stayed had we offered him the money we're proposing to pay Anita. Anyway my point wasn't to compare the two players in terms of ability, more in terms of squad cover.

I'm just shocked we're paying such a fee for 'competition' rather than a nailed on starter.

Who says he wont start?

Anita, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas. Bar an injury crisis, one of those will be rested every match. I understand spending such a fee on Debuchy or another quality RB but, for a club that prides itself on being prudent, I'm surprised at this one. I do think he'll offer us new tactical options though, which is a good thing.

Who says he wont start?

Anita, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas. Bar an injury crisis, one of those will be rested every match. I understand spending such a fee on Debuchy or another quality RB but, for a club that prides itself on being prudent, I'm surprised at this one. I do think he'll offer us new tactical options though, which is a good thing.

:thup:

But also add Marveaux and a plethora of youngsters.

At the end of the day no-one knows what the budget is so it's pointless speculating about how much this transfer is eating into it. We're already at a net profit of about £5m from sales plus you would guess Simpson will be binned if we get Debuchy in.

Think Marveaux's going to be very important to us this season. If he can stay fit, he's essentially one of three major creative players along with Cabaye and Ben Arfa. Teams may set up more defensively against us this season and it'll be up to those three to break them down

At the end of the day no-one knows what the budget is so it's pointless speculating about how much this transfer is eating into it. We're already at a net profit of about £5m from sales plus you would guess Simpson will be binned if we get Debuchy in.

Not a bad point actually regarding the profit. Plus, while everyone's talking about Anita being Guthrie's replacement, I guess in terms of salary, Bigirimana is Guthrie's and Anita is Smith's.

Given the fact I believe we operate on a 'if he's worth it sign him basis' as opposed to a 'this is our budget we can only spend this much money' basis I'm quite happy to add another player of quality to the squad.

While central midfield isn't a priority we're still well short in that position. Tiote travels to the ACON in January and the back up is comprised of Gosling and several untested youngsters. From what I've seen of the lad (and admittedly it isn't a huge amount) he's a cracking footballer who posses a lot of ability on the ball. Against the less dangerous sides we could probably drop Tiote to the bench.

As for those worrying about upsetting squad memebers, who cares? Competition is the sign of a healthy squad, you can never ever have too many quality players. Do you think Chelsea worried about unsettling Lampard, Essien or Ramires wen they signed Oscar? It stops players from becoming complacent and even more so allows us to compete on more than one front which is surely the aim this season?

Given the fact I believe we operate on a 'if he's worth it sign him basis' as opposed to a 'this is our budget we can only spend this much money' basis I'm quite happy to add another player of quality to the squad.

While central midfield isn't a priority we're still well short in that position. Tiote travels to the ACON in January and the back up is comprised of Gosling and several untested youngsters. From what I've seen of the lad (and admittedly it isn't a huge amount) he's a cracking footballer who posses a lot of ability on the ball. Against the less dangerous sides we could probably drop Tiote to the bench.

As for those worrying about upsetting squad memebers, who cares? Competition is the sign of a healthy squad, you can never ever have too many quality players. Do you think Chelsea worried about unsettling Lampard, Essien or Ramires wen they signed Oscar? It stops players from becoming complacent and even more so allows us to compete on more than one front which is surely the aim this season?

:thup:

Signing Anita at the minute doesn't make any sense at all and the position he plays would be 4th on my list of positions to strengthen, at best.

How is it any different from signing a striker or a CB then?

A fullback is the most pressing need, most people would agree on that.

You could make a case that Williamson is a more competent backup at CB than any of our squad CM's would be if Tiote or Cabaye went down. You might make the same case for Shola at CF.

Not a bad point actually regarding the profit. Plus, while everyone's talking about Anita being Guthrie's replacement, I guess in terms of salary, Bigirimana is Guthrie's and Anita is Smith's.

Smith made 2 sub's appearances so replacing him shouldn't be a priority, upgrading players who played games should be.

If we get an upgrade on Simpson, bring in a forward to replace Best and Lovenkrands as well as strengthening the centre of our defence then Anita will be a good signing.  If we fail to do any of those then we’ve got our priorities wrong.

Smith made 2 sub's appearances so replacing him shouldn't be a priority, upgrading players who played games should be.

If we get an upgrade on Simpson, bring in a forward to replace Best and Lovenkrands as well as strengthening the centre of our defence then Anita will be a good signing.  If we fail to do any of those then we’ve got our priorities wrong.

I'm talking budget rather than like-for-like.