Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Signing Anita at the minute doesn't make any sense at all and the position he plays would be 4th on my list of positions to strengthen, at best.

How is it any different from signing a striker or a CB then?

A fullback is the most pressing need, most people would agree on that.

You could make a case that Williamson is a more competent backup at CB than any of our squad CM's would be if Tiote or Cabaye went down. You might make the same case for Shola at CF.

I would make that exact case tbh, getting a quality RB is the most important transfer of anything but after that CB, CM and CF are equal in need of strengthening IMO.

All 3 need to be strengthened, the only difference is that at CB or CF we at least have some senior back up at CM we have none.

Not to say i don't believe in the kids i do but if something happened to one of our CM's like a long term injury then we would be in trouble.

That doesn't mean we are signing Anita as a back up, i don't think we are but one of Tiote or Cabaye were to get injured then we wouldn't be affected a great deal.

You could make a case that Williamson is a more competent backup at CB than any of our squad CM's would be if Tiote or Cabaye went down. You might make the same case for Shola at CF.

Our only backup to our two main forwards is an injury-prone 1 goal in every 5 games player.  I'd prefer to use any of Abeid, Marveaux, Bigirimana or Amalfitano in midfield for a few games than have to rely on Williamson again at the centre of defence.

Happy with the signing, if it comes to fruition, although I do worry it's going to leave us with Simpson as 1st choice right back and/or Shola as third choice striker.

I really don't think this had anything to do with our pursuit of a right back or a forward.

Given the fact I believe we operate on a 'if he's worth it sign him basis' as opposed to a 'this is our budget we can only spend this much money' basis I'm quite happy to add another player of quality to the squad.

While central midfield isn't a priority we're still well short in that position. Tiote travels to the ACON in January and the back up is comprised of Gosling and several untested youngsters. From what I've seen of the lad (and admittedly it isn't a huge amount) he's a cracking footballer who posses a lot of ability on the ball. Against the less dangerous sides we could probably drop Tiote to the bench.

As for those worrying about upsetting squad memebers, who cares? Competition is the sign of a healthy squad, you can never ever have too many quality players. Do you think Chelsea worried about unsettling Lampard, Essien or Ramires wen they signed Oscar? It stops players from becoming complacent and even more so allows us to compete on more than one front which is surely the aim this season?

Not necessarily. Who plays up front if Ba and Cisse go instead?

Happy with the signing, if it comes to fruition, although I do worry it's going to leave us with Simpson as 1st choice right back and/or Shola as third choice striker.

Yes that would be a concern if come the end of the window those 2 positions have not been addressed but i'm pretty confident they will be.

Given the fact I believe we operate on a 'if he's worth it sign him basis' as opposed to a 'this is our budget we can only spend this much money' basis I'm quite happy to add another player of quality to the squad.

While central midfield isn't a priority we're still well short in that position. Tiote travels to the ACON in January and the back up is comprised of Gosling and several untested youngsters. From what I've seen of the lad (and admittedly it isn't a huge amount) he's a cracking footballer who posses a lot of ability on the ball. Against the less dangerous sides we could probably drop Tiote to the bench.

As for those worrying about upsetting squad memebers, who cares? Competition is the sign of a healthy squad, you can never ever have too many quality players. Do you think Chelsea worried about unsettling Lampard, Essien or Ramires wen they signed Oscar? It stops players from becoming complacent and even more so allows us to compete on more than one front which is surely the aim this season?

Not necessarily. Who plays up front if Ba and Cisse go instead?

I honestly can't see Senegal progressing at the expense of Ivory Coast over two legs. Even if the very unlikely happens the point still stands, we need more depth in the middle of the park.

I think we'll sign another forward even if this deal goes through.

Our only backup to our two main forwards is an injury-prone 1 goal in every 5 games player.  I'd prefer to use any of Abeid, Marveaux, Bigirimana or Amalfitano in midfield for a few games than have to rely on Williamson again at the centre of defence.

Marveaux isn't a CM IMO, at least not in a two man central midfield. Amalfitano we don't know much about, so perhaps you can make a case for him.

As for chucking in one of the kids, I think some people are getting carried away with us actually having some promising youth prospects for the first time in forever. I like having them in the squad, but chucking them in before they're ready isn't the way to go.

Marveaux isn't a CM IMO, at least not in a two man central midfield. Amalfitano we don't know much about, so perhaps you can make a case for him.

As for chucking in one of the kids, I think some people are getting carried away with us actually having some promising youth prospects for the first time in forever. I like having them in the squad, but chucking them in before they're ready isn't the way to go.

I don't see why Marveaux can't play in the centre of midfield for a few games, even though I think he'd be far more suited to playing wide. 

The kids may not be up to playing too many games but they are going to have to play sometime or they'll never progress and I'd rather take a risk in midfield than in defence or up front.  The only time we'll know if the kids are good enough is by playing them, we don't need to play the kids for a full season as we have Tiote and Cabaye.

Like I've said, if we bring in the other players that we need then this is a good signing.

I don't see why Marveaux can't play in the centre of midfield for a few games, even though I think he'd be far more suited to playing wide. 

The kids may not be up to playing too many games but they are going to have to play sometime or they'll never progress and I'd rather take a risk in midfield than in defence or up front.  The only time we'll know if the kids are good enough is by playing them, we don't need to play the kids for a full season as we have Tiote and Cabaye.

Like I've said, if we bring in the other players that we need then this is a good signing.

And what if Cabaye or Tiote gets a serious injury and are out for months on end? We need another CM, and signing one who can also play LB has to be a good thing as even if we sign Debuchy and sell Simpson we have no depth at fullback.

As for the kids needing a chance, how is that any different for the likes of Tavernier and Good in defence?

Personally I'd far rather we were looking to sign quality players like Anita and Debuchy than buy players for other positions regardless of the positions we need to strengthen. It shows a certain amount of ambition to be spending big money on these types of players. I don't think we'd be in for them if we were going to leave ourselves weak in other areas.

Guest nufc_89

Think Marveaux would be great in CM, especially with a very physical player next to him (tiote). Marveaux has the attributes required to succeed. He is extremley calm on the ball, his passing accuracy and vision are great, during pre season he has worked really hard in defense etc.

As for those worrying about upsetting squad memebers, who cares? Competition is the sign of a healthy squad, you can never ever have too many quality players.

This can't be overstated, if a player can't bear competition then they can get bent and move to a club  somewhere with a shitter squad imo. You don't win anything with a guaranteed first 11 and if players put being the hero above winning competitions I don't want then here.

As for those worrying about upsetting squad memebers, who cares? Competition is the sign of a healthy squad, you can never ever have too many quality players.

This can't be overstated, if a player can't bear competition then they can get bent and move to a club  somewhere with a shitter squad imo. You don't win anything with a guaranteed first 11 and if players put being the hero above winning competitions I don't want then here.

:thup:

And what if Cabaye or Tiote gets a serious injury and are out for months on end? We need another CM, and signing one who can also play LB has to be a good thing as even if we sign Debuchy and sell Simpson we have no depth at fullback.

As for the kids needing a chance, how is that any different for the likes of Tavernier and Good in defence?

If we're going to play what if's then a backup keeper is needed because I wouldn't fancy having to play too many games with Harper or Elliot. 

As it is, our main weakness if we play our strongest 11 is at right back.  If Senegal qualifies for the Africa Cup of Nations we'll be relying on Shola for up to 6 weeks of the season as our first choice goal scorer and the thought of that leaves me with shivers.

Currently our strongest area of the pitch is midfield and while strengthening that area is good, it's the last area of the pitch which needs it in my view. 

I would be much happier relying on fringe players in that area of the pitch than any other.