Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Would be a real blow if he misses out. His reading of the game is underrated and he makes good decisions. I don't mind Janmaat but he doesn't strike me as the type to be able to stick to a game plan. Anita knows when to make the forward run and when to hang back, when to go and try to nick the ball and when to stand off etc. Janmaat on the other hand only knows how to play the one way and he rash decisions have left us exposed on numerous occasions.

Hope he's not too injured. Though Janmaat is back anyway I think.

Rather Vurn played.

If Anita's not fit we should go with Mbabu. I wouldn't trust Janmaat for even 5 mins. Vurn's been brilliant at RB btw, a big part of our defensive improvement, not to mention he's been pinging in some decent crosses.

Hope he's not too injured. Though Janmaat is back anyway I think.

Rather Vurn played.

If Anita's not fit we should go with Mbabu. I wouldn't trust Janmaat for even 5 mins. Vurn's been brilliant at RB btw, a big part of our defensive improvement, not to mention he's been pinging in some decent crosses.

Think you're right, i don't feel Janmaat even deserves to reclaim his place when fit. He simply wasn't good enough prior to his injury.

He's way better and faster than Janmaat chasing players back and hardly gives them time on the ball. Offensively, he can cross a ball in better than Janmaat. Really hope he's not injured. I've been less worried since he played RB.

Who'd be comfortable going into next season with him starting at RB?

Not me. He is doing a great job, and is great as a backup, but will be exposed over a season...........and way too small. Bottom half hoofball teams target him - ala Pardew

Not me. He is doing a great job, and is great as a backup, but will be exposed over a season...........and way too small. Bottom half hoofball teams target him - ala Pardew

I thought that, but is he not a similar size/stature to Danny Rose?

I thought that, but is he not a similar size/stature to Danny Rose?

Think Vurn's a shade shorter, but yeah more or less.

There's ways of hiding him in terms of his inability in the air, especially with a master tactician like Benitez who will always do his utmost to hide a players weakness and amplify his strengths.

I do agree that it's different to doing it over a long season than just a few games but we'll see how it goes, from a personal point of view i'm good enough with him to the point where i'm confident if he has to come in and do a job for half a dozen games then i don't think he'll let you down too often. But i would probably like to see a new RB with Anita as backup.

There's ways of hiding him in terms of his inability in the air, especially with a master tactician like Benitez who will always do his utmost to hide a players weakness and amplify his strengths.

I do agree that it's different to doing it over a long season than just a few games but we'll see how it goes, from a personal point of view i'm good enough with him to the point where i'm confident if he has to come in and do a job for half a dozen games then i don't think he'll let you down too often. But i would probably like to see a new RB with Anita as backup.

Agreed, ideally a new first choice RB and LB...move Janmaat on.

Ultimately the most impressive thing about Anita for me is that he's been totally up for this fight whereas Janmaat, even with all his theatrics and chest beating, has bottled it. Anita had his best game for us against WH last year when also playing at RB IIRC and he epitomised the bravery and determination we needed to win that game and stay up.

Never been his biggest fan but he's really impressed me at right back. He's a pretty intelligent player but was never physical enough to play in the middle in this league. However full back is one of those positions where you can get away with being 5'6" and 9 stone wet through and I think he's clever enough to retrain in that position.