Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Remember getting some shit for this at the time, but that's exactly what happened.

I know it's seriously early days, but De Jong looks like a bit of a dud, that first big chance he had where he was clean through and inexplicably turned and ran straight into a load of their players was seriously depressing. I guess he's low on confidence given what's happened following his last move, but it doesn't look like coming to us has snapped him out of it like often happens, reckon he'll have a disappointing time for us and we'll end up not signing him in the summer. That's just a gut feeling, hope it's wrong.

It's really depressing when you get a feeling like that and you just know that things are going to turn out badly, guess we've all had too many of them for far too long really. :(

Never going to look at his best in a Pardew team with no confidence, discipline or attacking intent, however you would at least expect to see some flashes of a good player if he indeed was one, and barring a 10 minute spell on his debut he showed absolutely nothing.

Sometimes the loan system is a handy tool, imagine if we had shelled out 8 million for him?

Not saying he's an ace striker but totally losing his confidence must be a big factor like. Especially when he has to play a different role in a team in freefall.

I'd still take him on a season long loan if it didn't stop us signing someone better. We aren't going to sign all the strikers we need and I really do think there is some quality in there. We were pretty much safe when he signed, if we wanted a proper look at the lad he should have started every game he was fit for rather than playing Cisse or Shola.

I'd still take him on a season long loan if it didn't stop us signing someone better. We aren't going to sign all the strikers we need and I really do think there is some quality in there. We were pretty much safe when he signed, if we wanted a proper look at the lad he should have started every game he was fit for rather than playing Cisse or Shola.

But it was clear he was rubbish from early on. I'd have preferred to have played Papiss more because if we're going to persevere with an out of form player to try and get his confidence back, then I'd prefer it's one we own and not one that could have rediscovered his form and promptly fucked off somewhere else.

Never going to look at his best in a Pardew team with no confidence, discipline or attacking intent, however you would at least expect to see some flashes of a good player if he indeed was one, and barring a 10 minute spell on his debut he showed absolutely nothing.

But for Dummet....... we should wait until he plays under a different manager before writing him off.

But it was clear he was rubbish from early on. I'd have preferred to have played Papiss more because if we're going to persevere with an out of form player to try and get his confidence back, then I'd prefer it's one we own and not one that could have rediscovered his form and promptly fucked off somewhere else.

We've had this numerous times with players who have turned out to actually be quite decent/good.

He came at the worst time really.

We were safe and the manager had already given up.

We weren't creating much at all.

The lad was already low on confidence.

He was basically asked to play as an attacking midfielder.

We had just sold our only central midfielder with any sort of creativity about him.

I know he already has the famous N-O cliché applied to him, this time being his shooting was as weak as piss but he hit some absolute belters in Holland and I don't believe at 23 years old you lose this. He was just a low on confidence player coming into a team that due to their hierarchy didn't care or had given up.

I definitely wouldn't want us to spend any significant amount of money on the lad but I would like to see him given a proper chance, especially as the one player we are willing to play up front has been out of form for so long and isn't even fit. We won't go on some massive spending spree to recruit players either so will be short for strikers and the likes are Armstrong aren't going to get a sniff. That being said Pardew is still here so there is probably no point.

Guest bimpy474

Personally i think he's better than he showed, for some of the reasons Caj has stated, but he certainly didn't do himself any favours either with a serious lack of quality in his play.

I'm not saying we should throw the transfer budget the at the lad but we clearly aren't going to fork out on a load of strikers and the lad hasn't exactly done enough demand a significant loan fee. If we can get him for a season at little to no cost we may as well as he was once very highly rated, is still young and isn't going to stop us getting better players in.

Guest bimpy474

I'm not saying we should throw the transfer budget the at the lad but we clearly aren't going to fork out on a load of strikers and the lad hasn't exactly done enough demand a significant loan fee. If we can get him for a season at little to no cost we may as well as he was once very highly rated, is still young and isn't going to stop us getting better players in.

I agree to an extent, if he was available for a very small fee i would take him but there's a very big but..... He was good in a very creative team which unfortunately he'll never get here under Pardew. From the word go under Pardew whoever was/is/will be upfront, they'll need to be able to create goals from fuck all, well scraps. Luuk doesn't look the type to do that.

Guest bimpy474

Think we can do a lot better personally. Looks too weak and slow for the Premiership.

That the overriding opinion from what i've seen, he looked pretty good against Hull but that really was it. He looks completely unsuited to Pardew's tactics of chasing around like a headless chicken, mind you, so do most of our players :lol: