Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Striker in not scoring when receiving f*** all service shocker.

He had chances to shoot but kept trying to pass to others. Strikers are selfish and like to score themselves. Strikers with no confidence pass to other players. He's had a couple of shots during his loan so far and they've both been piss weak daisy cutters.

Everything went through Bellamy when he was here. I hate that you've brought him into this.

What i meant was that his general play allowed Shearer to score at a higher rate than he was able to do before we signed Bellamy ( well except under Keegan of course but that's a different team entirely)

Didn't mean to say De Jong would have anywhere near the same impact only that a forward who contributes to overall play even if he doesn't score 20 a season can have a big impact as long as he's paired with a 20 goal a season striker.

Was just the best example i could think of to prove that there's nothing wrong in buying a striker who is not going to be your main source of goals if he provides enough in general play.

He's not been shit but he's certainly not shown anything that says we should pay the money for him. Not sure where this idea of him being a great complement to another striker has come from either.

He's not been s*** but he's certainly not shown anything that says we should pay the money for him. Not sure where this idea of him being a great complement to another striker has come from either.

Against Hull he linked up better with Remy than any other strike partnership has done for us in absolutely years.

He's not been s*** but he's certainly not shown anything that says we should pay the money for him. Not sure where this idea of him being a great complement to another striker has come from either.

Against Hull he linked up better with Remy than any other strike partnership has done for us in absolutely years.

Give over man. :lol:

Give over man. :lol:

I know, man, what utter shite.

I thinks he's looked good so far, he plays the ball well and is good at holding it up, he just can't shoot for s***.

Good? A striker who can't shoot for s***? We can't afford to spend £8m of our very limited transfer budget on a striker who can't shoot.

You can't buy a goal scorer for £8m. Well Arsenal can, but there's only so many Remy's knocking about.

I'm not talking about a 20 goals a season striker.

Having said that, I've just looked at this and it's amazing how few goals are scored by strikers outside the top 6: -

Premier League Top Scorers

Rank Player Name Team Goals

1 Luis Suarez Liverpool 24

2 Daniel Sturridge Liverpool 18

3 Sergio Agüero Manchester City 15

4 Eden Hazard Chelsea 13

4 Loïc Remy Newcastle United 13

4 Yaya Touré Manchester City 13

5 Olivier Giroud Arsenal 12

5 Jay Rodriguez Southampton 12

6 Wayne Rooney Manchester United 11

6 Robin van Persie Manchester United 11

7 Romelu Lukaku Everton 10

8 Christian Benteke Aston Villa 9

8 Wilfried Bony Swansea City 9

8 Rickie Lambert Southampton 9

8 Álvaro Negredo Manchester City 9

8 Danny Welbeck Manchester United 9

9 Emmanuel Adebayor Tottenham Hotspur 8

9 Edin Dzeko Manchester City 8

9 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 8

9 Aaron Ramsey Arsenal 8

10 Samuel Eto'o Chelsea 7

10 Adam Johnson Sunderland 7

10 Adam Lallana Southampton 7

10 Kevin Nolan West Ham United 7

11 Roberto Soldado Tottenham Hotspur 6

Think how much those players cost n all, frightening with our self imposed transfer embargo.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's a decent footballer, but doesn't look like a decent goalscorer and we will need a decent goalscorer. Can we afford to have a decent enough footballer who won't get among the goals? I'm not so sure we can. He is obviously short of confidence in the striking/scoring department, though and that isn't helping him nor our cause RE goals. He linked up well with Remy against Hull and I like how he can drop deep and play that kind of role, but he will probably still cost a fair few quid and I'd rather that kind of money being used to try and retain Remy along with whatever else it would take to keep the Frenchman.

I've been reading a lot of praise for him in this thread but I have to be honest I'm just not seeing it - seems to lack pace and power and doesn't even look close to actually scoring a goal.

If we have a budget to spend reasonably big on a striker this summer, I don't think he should be it.

Let's not forget that Demba looked poor in his first few games for us. He's a young lad that's adapting to the league and building confidence, I'm convinced he'll come good and will be a worthy squad player.

A worthy squad player for ~£8m?

Not sure on De Jong yet but another striker that can't score is the last thing we need. As pointed out, we're fucking allergic to spending money on strikers* for some stupid reason so we need to be dead sure.

*Strikers signed for more than £1.5m in the entire Ashley tenure: Xisco, Cisse.

Thing is, as much as I like him, we can't afford to compound our crap midfield with a striker who doesn't score.

We can though, if we actually add another striker who does score to go alongside him.

But its already been established how much of a makeover the team needs in the summer and none of the things we all know we need at a bare f*cking minimum will probably happen.