Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Mind you it seems our 4 main targets would cost close to £30m combined. I really can't see a £30m net spend by Ashley.

Possible 500k in for Ranger, 3m in for Best, 2m in for Forster. Wages also saves on Lovenkrands, Smith, Guthrie and possibly Xisco. Still a big net layout but we are recouping a bit by moving on a fair few decent earners.

Mind you it seems our 4 main targets would cost close to £30m combined. I really can't see a £30m net spend by Ashley.

Who is the 4th? Anita? I reckon there's probably nowt in that one now.

We could get a squad midfielder cheaper surely? Although I guess his proven ability to cover fullback was what made him attractive.

Twente wants £16m for Douglas and de Jong according to The Mirror.

Seems reasonable enough but can't see how we would finance such a deal - don't want to to say it but the only way I can see this properly happen is if we cash in on one of our first teamers...(I sincerely hope this won't be the case).

In:

De Jong £10m

Dougles £6m

Debuchy £6m

Anita £6m

Gives an outlay of £28m

Out

Simpson £2.5m

Best £3m

Forster £2m

Ranger £0.5m

Leaves us with a net spend of £20m.

What did Ashley say he was prepared to put into the club every year? £20m.

Still expecting one high value, unpopular sale this summer like.

Yup, me too.

To be honest though, I've been conditioned to understand that we can't get too attached to the players at NUFC any more.

If they go, they go. We've just got to hope the old conveyor belt is in full swing and effective.

If we sold Tiote to fund purchases of Debuchy, De Jong, Douglas and a good DM, I have to say i'd be more than content.

I've sort of got this dream bubble that i'm in that we'd sign all four and not sell a top asset.

Same here. Although, if we get decent fees for Simpson, Best and Ranger (relative to their values), get in two of Douglas, Debuchy and De Jong, we might then seek the lower priced end of the market to fill our remaining squad gaps. Bringing in a few extra players of the ilk of Abeid, Good, Bigirigama (sp) and so on might be our idea should there not be a sufficient bid for one of our players.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Anita would push Jonas into a super-sub type role which I think just given how old he is now would save him for our biggest games where we need someone to shut out or help out with a tricky winger or if we need a lot of work rate within the midfield would suit him lovely. He'd be like Ji Sung Park imo, a hard worker who is brought out in the big games that need someone who is willing to shut down opposition danger men or just in general harass people running down the flank or midfield.

Who is the 4th? Anita? I reckon there's probably nowt in that one now.

We could get a squad midfielder cheaper surely? Although I guess his proven ability to cover fullback was what made him attractive.

I think the idea is to get a starter so that they can free Cabaye in to a more attacking position and have stronger defensive cover in the midfield whilst having more attacking fullbacks.

If Ashley is splashing the cash, I suspect it's because we know we have a hell of a lot of profitable value in the team even if he doesn't sell anyone on this window. Spending £20m (tbh doubt this) is less risky since if we sold on all our 'stars' today we'd easily more than double that, so arguably there's little danger in the extra money in. However aware it's not some sugardaddy position like Abromovich, so think somewhat this will be with an eye to players leaving, even if it's next season.

Still suspicious if we're really after another CB, not sure we'll get the others either, hope we have backups.

Not really sure what I'm saying really, think £20m is more than I expected, and worried someones going to be sold essentially, but not financially dangerous for the club I expect.

There's also the point of all the extra TV money from next season.  It's not just that we'll have more money but every prem club will.  I can see this driving prices up and a lot more teams being active in the market next summer.  Perhaps we're hitting our targets now in case there's extra competition for them next year.

There's also the point of all the extra TV money from next season.  It's not just that we'll have more money but every prem club will.  I can see this driving prices up and a lot more teams being active in the market next summer.  Perhaps we're hitting our targets now in case there's extra competition for them next year.

Good point. Maybe the new TV money had changed our transfer plans for this summer, and we are aiming to get in before the competition comes along or selling clubs ask for even more knowing the improved TV deal after next season.

Guest Roger Kint

A good Europa Cup run would enable Ashley to stick his little Sports Direct flags down in a load of new countries too like in France and Slovenia previously, maybe he feels the extra TV income over the next few years on top of that is worth spending this summer. Cue big money sale today  :lol:

BORUSSIA Monchengladbach were last night claiming victory in the race for Dutch striker Luuk de Jong.

But Newcastle United have not given up hope of landing the FC Twente star and more talks are set to take place between the Dutch club and Derek Llambias, who is in Holland, over the next 24 hours.

The Newcastle managing director is still hoping to return to Tyneside over the next few days with 21-year-old De Jong’s signature, but he now faces a straight fight with his German counterparts.

Monechengladbach yesterday briefed the German media that they believed a bid of £9million, plus some add-ons depending on appearances, had been accepted by FC Twente and the player would agree a four-year deal with the Bundesliga side pending a medical.

Kicker magazine in Germany, the country’s most popular and respected sports publication, yesterday claimed that the deal was done between De Jong and the Germans, who are in the Champions League playoffs after finishing fourth last season.

Steve McClaren, the FC Twente manager, does not want to sell his best player unless any club came in with what he called stupid money.

And yesterday the Englishman said: “We have complete control. Nobody has to leave. Only an absurd bid could take Luuk away.

“We needed to sell a player to balance the books. The transfer of Ola John to Benfica means we break even, so the pressure is off.”

McClaren was also adamant that Douglas, his Brazilian defender and long-time Newcastle signing target, was going nowhere.

He said: “If Douglas is fit, he is the best defender in Holland. I don’t want to lose him and neither do the team.”

But the reality of football in Holland right now is that no club can realistically turn down any big offer for their players.

Meanwhile, Newcastle have at long last sold reserve team goalkeeper Fraser Forster to Celtic for a fee of £2million.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/07/01/79310-31295895/