Douglas

BONTEMPI

James Perchs performance v Spurs saved us €5.5m

I wonder if this is the way it's being viewed.

Colo, Taylor, Williamson, Perch, Good as our CB options, perhaps we think we can get by.

Personally feel fullback and another attacker are more pressing needs, especially fullback. A CB would have been nice though.

Maybe Good is impressing and settling quicker than we thought. No CBs linked at all since his arrival.

Strange though, we've been linked with him for ages haven't we? After all that, and Pardew virtually confirming that he's a player we'd like, you'd think we'd already know about his character etc. They always say it's a big part of their assessment.

£4.6m is a big fee for a player in his last year. I can see why we won't pay it, especially since we've had doubts about his character. This lot are a good bunch of lads, all likeable, we need to make sure we keep brining in players like that.

Question: what if a player is quality but is a total arsehole and could disrupt the harmony of the squad, do we go for him? I'm not saying Douglas is, I really don't know, but sure someone was saying something about him not so long ago (Dutch source)

Didn't realise he only had a year left. :thup:

Still not a massive fee though IMO. Apart from him showing up to training late and overweight - surely not too uncommon - I don't know where it's come from that we're having doubts about his character.

If we don't match the offer then hopefully it's a case of us deciding we're not interested in the player anymore as opposed to us "missing out".

If he goes there we're missing out, it's as simple as that..

Not really.

Yes really

So we should buy EVERY player who we have shown an interest in as soon as another club has a decent price accepted?

I know Pardew has mentioned Douglas but that doesn't exactly mean that he's the only centre back that we're interested in, there may be another completely off the radar, or we may be thinking about assessing what we have until January. We have no idea what the reasoning will be, but it's not always us just "missing out" because Mike is too cheap, or we are too slow.

Colo, Taylor, Williamson, Perch, Good as our CB options, perhaps we think we can get by.

Personally feel fullback and another attacker are more pressing needs, especially fullback. A CB would have been nice though.

Williamson isn't good enough , Taylor is injury prone, Good is a kid, ok on Perch but if we are looking to qualify on CL football he should'nt be so high in the pecking order.

CB should be very high on our list of priority's, it's an extremely weak position.

If we miss out due to the sum of 500k it is f*cking stupid, same with if miss out on Debuchy due to the sum of 1m.

Two obvious signings which would obviously improve us and two players we have tracked for a very long time and we miss out due to we don't want to pay an extra 1.5m for the both of them.

It's f*cking retarded, i'm for getting deals but when the difference is so small especially when we already have had 5 million come into the club this summer we should just pay it.

Especially when a club has agreed a fee for a player.

Williamson isn't good enough , Taylor is injury prone, Good is a kid, ok on Perch but if we are looking to qualify on CL football he should'nt be so high in the pecking order.

CB should be very high on our list of priority's, it's an extremely weak position.

If we miss out due to the sum of 500k it is f*cking stupid, same with if miss out on Debuchy due to the sum of 1m.

Two obvious signings which would obviously improve us and two players we have tracked for a very long time and we miss out due to we don't want to pay an extra 1.5m for the both of them.

It's f*cking retarded, i'm for getting deals but when the difference is so small especially when we already have had 5 million come into the club this summer we should just pay it.

Williamson was good enough to help us reach 5th?

Also, you dont know what money has been allocated for each position we want to upgrade/improve.  Paying that extra 1.5 mill or whatever might mean reducing what we have to spend on a full back or forward.

Seems to me that some folk just want to sign players regardless of strategy and planning.  Since we have been promoted Ashey, Decker, Pardew and Graham have made some great signings and have proven themselves great negotiators.

If we don't match the offer then hopefully it's a case of us deciding we're not interested in the player anymore as opposed to us "missing out".

Not really.

Yes really

Nah.

I see a real battle of wits shaping up, here...

Not really.

Yes really

Nah.

I see a real battle of wits shaping up, here...

Nah.

Williamson was good enough to help us reach 5th?

Also, you dont know what money has been allocated for each position we want to upgrade/improve.  Paying that extra 1.5 mill or whatever might mean reducing what we have to spend on a full back or forward.

Seems to me that some folk just want to sign players regardless of strategy and planning.  Since we have been promoted Ashey, Decker, Pardew and Graham have made some great signings and have proven themselves great negotiators.

You know full well that if we are to be a CL contender than Williamson should be nowhere near their team long-term......

Also regardless of strategy and planning? Pardew has admitted he's a target, we have put a bid in.... we clearly want him it's just obvious Mike has a set amount he will go to and he will go no further no matter if it's a penny more.

Ofcourse they are great negotiators but you can't win everytime, sometimes you have to pay what the club wants.

Missing out on Debuchy and Douglas for the combined amount of 1.5m would leave a horrible taste in my mouth.

This is just an example of Mike always wanting to get a bargain and if he doesn't get it then he won't pay it, there's a balance to be had here.

Douglas would either have to sit second fiddle to Taylor or vice-versa though, meaning we may not be able guarantee him an automatic start meaning he won't want to come here? He was fucking excellent alongside Colo last year until his injury and it isn't set in stone that Douglas will perform any better.

Also Williamson is good enough back-up, I don't want him starting too many games like he did last season but he's certainly good enough to slot into our defence ffs.

Guest firetotheworks

Honestly not bothered, again. I'll be disappointed if we don't bother getting Debuchy though. It would be a real opportunity lost to almost definitely improve our starting XI.