The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

The bandwagoners are the only reason I wish they lost. Celtic fans get a lot of praise for their support, mainly due to the atmosphere they create at Parkhead, which is electric to be fair. My God though, they are insufferable at times like this.

It's the group stages ffs. They'll probably get mauled by Benfica and lose to Spartak. I do want them through though at the end of the day, it's a chance for an easier route to the quarters

Like V.I. said, Barca needed to stretch Celtic wide to make spaces to pass through for runners in, but Celtic were happy to give Barca the space out wide and pack the middle, knowing that Barca weren't going to cross from wide where Celtic would've been able to deal with it. Celtic held tight when Barca had the ball in front of them on the edge of their box, the one time Barca were able to get through was the late pressure at the end when Celtic were tiring which resulted in the goal.

Also how many fucking 20-year-olds are called Roy. :lol:

Yeah, good analysis. They also paid the price for playing midfielders at centre back, with goals coming from a free header at a set piece, and a long ball through the middle.

Bits of luck here and there came in handy too, of course.

If Barca had bought Drogba in the summer they would have won yesterday.

It's a bit puzzling that they don't even have that kind of option to bring on from the bench. For all the skill they showed, you felt that trying something different at the end might have worked.

It's a bit puzzling that they don't even have that kind of option to bring on from the bench. For all the skill they showed, you felt that trying something different at the end might have worked.

I can kind of see the reason they don't though.  That kind of option would be antithetical to their Plan A, which is already extremely effective.  It's not really too often they run into this kind of situation. 

"Something different" for them is just going to be a slight variation on the personnel out there.  Placing a drogba type for villa would need much more work, and carrying a player who doesn't fit in 90% of the time, for what amounts to a very rare circumstance. 

I can kind of see the reason they don't though.  That kind of option would be antithetical to their Plan A, which is already extremely effective.  It's not really too often they run into this kind of situation. 

"Something different" for them is just going to be a slight variation on the personnel out there.  Placing a drogba type for villa would need much more work, and carrying a player who doesn't fit in 90% of the time, for what amounts to a very rare circumstance. 

That has always been my take on it. It's counter-productive to keep a player around for just 10% of the time, with a style that doesn't fit the rest of our personnel and thus most of the time we'd less efficient with it. We need alternatives, but those have to be variations of our current model. We can be more direct without pumping balls into the box.

It was exactly the same against Chelsea last season, if they had that kind of option from the bench I'm pretty certain they would have won. Not even talking about a massive striker like Drogba, even a Larsson type like they had before would be enough.