Alan Pardew

Dave

As the weeks go by, the more Pardew is seemingly out of touch with reality. Definitely still trust him to turn it around mind but it's so fucking frustrating how things are going at the moment. Pressure's almost certainly got to him - he really needs to stay calm and needs to show the players and the fans that he's got a hold of the situation. His previously quoted meticulous preparation for games is definitely not so evident this season.

Said this last week, this is now the biggest test of his managerial career and one which I sincerely hope he succeeds in, for his sake and the club's.

You could buy players who'd suit a direct style if that's how we're going to proceed for starters as around half our team are completely wasted at the moment.

If that's the decision you have to make - stick with the manager and change the players, or stick with the players and change the manager - i know which i'd prefer.

I'm not advocating it btw but nothing is matching up at the moment, IMO that's the manager's fault, he found a winning formula last season that has been binned off for whatever reason and the players he is using to play how we did at the beginning of last season aren't firing, Ba aside. Given the way we have been playing it's no wonder we went after Carroll and De Jong given their height and stature but why we signed a multitude of ball playing midfielders is beyond me at the moment if we're not looking to play passing football. I'm of the Pardew has little say in transfers camp though.

What evidence do people have for believing Pardew will turn it around?

I'm basing it on last season's performance. Sure there were ups and downs and a few worrying signs but by the end of the season, we resembled what looked like a good footballing team. Definitely giving him time.

What evidence do people have for believing Pardew will turn it around?

We did switch to 4-3-3 after a slump of form in January.

Although iirc that was mainly due to missing Tiote and Pardew wanting to have an extra body in the middle, so maybe that wasn't quite a forward-thinking change.

I feel sorry for the silver fox, I really do. He looks and sounds like a broken man in the interviews. He was an integral reason why we had such a fine season last year, and has earned the chance to turn this into something good. Granted, he's been let down by those above. But right now he's got every right to feel let down by his players as well. We simply aren't turning up for the battle, and haven't the whole season, aside from when we went to Sunderland.

Something is very wrong in the dressing room, and try as we like no one of us can fathom what. I can't for the life of me believe that this is how Pardew wants us to play. We're stuck in a bad rut at the moment, and we need something, anything to get us out of it. Be it a flukey win at Stoke on wednesday or a managerial casualty.

However, the players are IMO as much to blame for this situation as Pardew. For the sake of stability let's hope he can get us out of this mess. I'm having trouble trusting the man to turn this around right now, but at the same time I'd like to think that he's got that special something to get us out of this mess that he, the players and the men above have got us in to. As for tactics, I couldn't give a flying fuck what formation he'll use on wednesday, I couldn't give a flying fuck how we play. We badly need a win, not to kick start the season, but perhaps saving it from being a total disaster. Hopefully most of us can get behind Pardew and the team and rise once again.

If the bad results and our bad play continues a couple of more weeks however, I'm all for a change. Even when calmed down.

Looks like he hasn't got a clue how to change things. Just keep doing what worked last year and wait for things to magically fix themselves.

I think he may have lost the dressing room personally, the players haven't looked motivated or happy out there for a while. I reckon a few of them have realised that there's no intention to every try and play good football and have stopped buying into what he's telling them. Honestly, I find it hard to blame them.

Looks like he hasn't got a clue how to change things. Just keep doing what worked last year and wait for things to magically fix themselves.

I think he may have lost the dressing room personally, the players haven't looked motivated or happy out there for a while. I reckon a few of them have realised that there's no intention to every try and play good football and have stopped buying into what he's telling them. Honestly, I find it hard to blame them.

Looked at his post match a few times. He's asking for his 7 or 8 main players to step up now. I don't think under the format we're playing it will make much difference even if they do. Like the first 20min today we looked quite bright, but the whole system and method of the side is wrong. S'ton more often than not played through the midfield we did the reverse. Our good players must be hating playing that way.

Mixture of both for me. I do think Pardew can be tactically naive but sometimes players need to step up on the field.

Mixture of both for me. I do think Pardew can be tactically naive but sometimes players need to step up on the field.

They don't believe it it any more. Remember when we scored a goal last year? The whole team came together and it was a proper 'team' celebration. We played for each other and chased, supported and encouraged each other for 90 mins a game. It was fantastic to see how close the players were and how united the whole team was on the park.

I've seen none of that this season. The players have seen through him and they know he's a bullshitter. He's lost them. 

I've seen none of that this season. The players have seen through him and they know he's a bullshitter. He's lost them. 

If that's the case, I wonder when it happened.

How early was it that he came out with the comment about one or two having their heads turned during the summer ? Was it pre-season ?

They don't believe it it any more. Remember when we scored a goal last year? The whole team came together and it was a proper 'team' celebration. We played for each other and chased, supported and encouraged each other for 90 mins a game. It was fantastic to see how close the players were and how united the whole team was on the park.

If thats the case, then it wouldn't hurt for them to try something different on the field. They are grown ups, not kids playing 5-a-side.

If that's the case, I wonder when it happened.

How early was it that he came out with the comment about one or two having their heads turned during the summer ? Was it pre-season ?

Think these days players have to believe in the 'whole project', especially good players who can easily move to other clubs. The window was a very negative signal to the players imo as well as them probably beginning to see through what Pards has been selling them to this point. No doubt in my mind one or two were dissapointed they didn't get a move in the summer.

They looked the worst I've ever seen them in that spell between the 2nd goal and FT like.

Couldn't string a pass, every player had his head down. They looked dejected, a far cry from that united side that we saw last season. If he hasn't lost them, it's very very close.