Alan Pardew

Dave

I really hope the board aren't just believing Pardew's nonsense about injuries and a small squad. That's only a small part of the problem.

A small squad is a major part of the problem.

Other managers are doing better with less. And we've used about 30 players so far.

There's no competition for places what so ever and of course the injuries have not helped...

Tactics and the rest of it are just a big problem but the size of the squad, extra games and injuries are all key factors which have lead to where we are.

It's really a mixture of so many different things going wrong which have led to this.

I really hope the board aren't just believing Pardew's nonsense about injuries and a small squad. That's only a small part of the problem.

Other managers are doing better with less. And we've used about 30 players so far.

30 players that include so much dross.

Only goes so far that excuse when teams like Villa and Southampton are almost entirely dross including the first team and yet they're right on our tails/giving us a right kicking.

The main reason for us being where we are in the league has nothing to do with our squad size as far as I'm concerned.  We've tried to play a style of football which has us where we are.

The main reason for us being where we are in the league has nothing to do with our squad size as far as I'm concerned.  We've tried to play a style of football which has us where we are.

Cleverly worded. You're admitting that it's a factor, anyway.

The dross are doing fine in Europe. That also doesn't explain why the better players have been under performing all season.

The dross are doing fine in Europe.

We've defended well for the most part, mostly due to having senior players back there and Bigirimana doing well.

7 goals in 6 games against those teams is poor, whichever way you look at it. I do admit the games have been pretty fun to watch because of the unpredictability.

The dross are doing fine in Europe.

We've defended well for the most part, mostly due to having senior players back there and Bigirimana doing well.

7 goals in 6 games against those teams is poor, whichever way you look at it. I do admit the games have been pretty fun to watch because of the unpredictability.

We qualified from the group so I'm satisfied. Cisse starting half the games should have meant a bigger goal tally but he's rather unreliable this season. A bit of confidence from him and we'd have had more.

I'm content too, but I don't think you can use pedestrian-paced Europa games against pretty poor teams to suggest the squad players are good enough to fill the gaps in the league. I've been pretty disappointed with some of them, actually.

In terms of Europe they did their job. Getting through the group was the aim and we're through. As for the league, it's not just the young players who are struggling which, to me, suggests it's not only their fault. Pardew is right when he says it's hard for a young player to come into a struggling team but he needs to ask himself why the first team is struggling, and has been all season.

After Krul, Colo, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Santon, Tiote, our squad is average as they come in the Premier League and is full of young players who may not make the grade.

Yet several teams who are either ahead of us or have already rolled us over don't have a single player as good as any of them and despite what the club like to peddle, most of them have played in the majority of games.

In terms of Europe they did their job. Getting through the group was the aim and we're through. As for the league, it's not just the young players who are struggling which, to me, suggests it's not only their fault. Pardew is right when he says it's hard for a young player to come into a struggling team but he needs to ask himself why the first team is struggling, and has been all season.

:thup:

I'm content too, but I don't think you can use pedestrian-paced Europa games against pretty poor teams to suggest the squad players are good enough to fill the gaps in the league. I've been pretty disappointed with some of them, actually.

I think when they have come in, in the league, they'd have done much better had they come into a team that plays decent football. Very tall order to look good coming into our first team. Made them look much worse than they are.

Some exceptionally extreme opinions about our lesser players tbh. I worry that people genuinely believe our "dross" is significantly worse than the dross of Swansea or Norwich. It's like a state of denial quite frankly. Everton function fine with Kevin fucking Naismith from time to time for crying out loud.

Our squad needs strengthening no doubt, a fourth centre-back would be mint for example :lol:, but we have far bigger problems.

We don't seem to have a vision of how the team is aiming to play. Teams like Wigan, Swansea, Southampton and Fulham have been built to play in a certain way. Their players as individuals don't generally match ours, but they function well as teams.

Our strategy seems confused and we keep chopping and changing. And a major source of that muddle lies with the strikers, and our obsession with somehow trying to find a formation that suits both Ba and Cisse.

After Krul, Colo, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Santon, Tiote, our squad is average as they come in the Premier League and is full of young players who may not make the grade.

I'd argue Anita and Steven Taylor are above average in terms of ability. We've got Clint Hill and Dean Whitehead starting at other clubs.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has admitted that the club failed to bring in the required reinforcements in the summer and is planning to play an active role in the January transfer window.

Full story: the Times (subscription required)

How often we have said that our play is more aimed towards individual brilliance than actual team play? Therefore it would make total sense that the squad players who aren't brilliant will struggle in an environment like that. I don't believe for one second that our squad is any worse off than the majority of teams outside the top 5/6 teams.

Did many managers do better with less last season?

Didn't think so.

I think that's a good point from colinmk. Teams like Norwich and Swansea have shown that even players who have never in their career been thought of as Premier League capable can cope perfectly well as long as the passing is good enough and simple enough.

To say that someone like Anita is amongst the "dross" compared to other teams in the league is beyond laughable.