Alan Pardew

Dave

It wasn't luck. It was individual brilliance for the most part IMO.

First third of the season wasn't that. It was based on a good ethic, we had the likes of R.Taylor, Simpson, Obertan & Best starting (no disrepect to any of those) but there was no "individual brilliance" about that. Ba was scoring goals because we were supplying chances. Middle third of the season we stuttered a bit but got enough points to stay in touch with the top 5-6, HBA was being integrated into the team, then the last third I sort of agree, but there was also a period of 4-3-3 where we were brilliant.

Sammy Ameobi and Abeid to League 1 for starters would be good.

I don't think we can afford to let Sammy go. We don't have much creativity in midfield and he's one of the few that, for all his inexperience, can make things happen, if only from the bench.

It bothers me that on Thursday we played the second half with Abeid, Anita and Bigi in midfield. At Stoke we had Tiote, Anita, Jonas and Perch. Pardew himself was that type of player, and I wonder whether he tends to over-rate the sort of contribution that they're likely to make. The balance doesn't look right.

I disagree that either it was all down to luck or just individual brilliance, everything did click, which may have been in part down to luck, but credit does have to go to Pardew for motivating the team, cultivating the obvious team spirit, drilling the defence well, and adapting the tactics through the season to better football. We had significant dips when we worried the season would slip away from us. It seems very unfair to brand it all luck, luck maybe got us to 5th as much as luck always plays a major part in league positioning, but we were very good last season. Luck doesn't mean only Man City did the double over us last season.

What's the problem now are huge injurie list compounded by failure over the summer to bolster the squad, and Pardew being a deeply conservative tactical manager, who I think seeks to motivate a squad and get them playing together before he even thinks about adjusting from the 'safe' 4-3-3 (unless he is absolutely forced). Last season the quality of the team did carry us through but it seems way too harsh to take all credit from him for that.

He was the right man for us last season, but in a different situation this season he's shown a lack of flexibility.

That article doesn't really say much at all tbh

Guest neesy111

I don't think we can afford to let Sammy go. We don't have much creativity in midfield and he's one of the few that, for all his inexperience, can make things happen, if only from the bench.

It bothers me that on Thursday we played the second half with Abeid, Anita and Bigi in midfield. At Stoke we had Tiote, Anita, Jonas and Perch. Pardew himself was that type of player, and I wonder whether he tends to over-rate the sort of contribution that they're likely to make. The balance doesn't look right.

This creativity from Sammy, I've personally seen nothing of it at all in the league.

Sammy hasnt the head for being a creative player, I think he may come good but he should be using his speed to take on a fullback and getting crosses in or cutting in and shooting, and not thinking much beyond that, I can't see him having much more to his game than that tbh, not that that can't be good. He can trick his way past players but he desperately needs to learn when to release the ball.

Agree. There's also no balance in terms of width, attacking and defending, nothing really.

been trawling through a west ham forum found a thread called

Allaydyce vs Pardew

found some interesting and disturbing posts.

"Well North Bank I genuinely believe he is very overated. My personal opinion of Pardew the man..and this is having had dealings with him whilst manager at West Ham....has no bearings on what I think of his managerial ability.

He is good at going into clubs and getting some kind of reaction from the players,so he obviously has something that people see in him when it comes to employing him. However people go on about him on here like we were playing this wonderful free flowing entertaining footabll during his tenure. He got lucky getting us in to the premiership, noone can deny that as we sneaked into the play off finals beacuse Reading screwed up at home to Wolves.

We had a good season that first year back in the premiership, granted but beyond that look at the dross we played next year. He wouldn't play Tevez or his mate and chose Hayden Mullins every week!

I genuinely believe his bubble will burst again at Newcastle and before loong the Geordies will be on his back. Ver y few people you speak to in football, particularly from his Palace days likie the guy and this is not heresay this is fact from players I know who played with him. This has been carried over into his management days and whilst you can argue you don't have to be liked by everyone it says a lot when his peers profess their dislike for him, which in itslef is surprising how he got those managers awards lkast season!

I appreciate it all about opinions but I find the man the sort of individual who you wouldn't trust and is liable to dissapoint and let you down in the moment of a crisis. I also find it very hard to stomach him passing judgment on the moral issues of his his palyers behaviour when we all no what a sleaze ball of a man he is when it comes to family affairs don't we?

But hey,all about opinions, maybe i'm in the majority."

"But my over riding memory of him was that he was one arrogant c*** of a man who's ego got the better of him and completely lost the dressing room which so nearly cost us premiership football. He might think and say he loves West Ham but it's another Pardew soundbite which cuts little or no ice with me. I'm glad I don't have to listen to the mans babble every week and he is no longer manager of this club. It won't be long before Pardew hits the buffers at Newcastle as well and will be shown up for what he really is....a total c*** of a man."

Fess up, you wrote this yourself didn't you?

That's spot on basically reagarding his persona. But I do see that he is a better manager now than he was at West Ham. His core ideas haven't changed much but he can get a lot out of some players most of the time. Ultimately as in the past his ego will probably be his downfall, but it might be that Mashley is so scary and whimsical it might keep Pards in check. Time will tell.

I'm more concerned with his coaching ability than whether people like him or not. I actually like him as a person a lot more than I did when he took the job and I think the players generally like him too.

I just don't think he's anywhere near up to it.

Plenty of other current players (e.g. Bigi) have come out and said they like Pardew. People are just looking for another reason to dislike Pardew to go along with our poor form this season. If we were flying high nobody would care how well liked Pardew was. Alex Ferguson comes across as a real miserable git to me. His success means a lot of people overlook his personality failings.