Alan Pardew

Dave

Has this bit of the story got enough talk here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9571358/Newcastle-manager-Alan-Pardew-handed-eight-year-contract-by-owner-Mike-Ashley.html

“The club’s target is to finish eighth, but Alan’s target is to match last season and, if possible, better it.”

That's a lower target than I expected, I was expecting tougher season and with all the games I wouldn't be that surprised if a little disappointed.

I'm a bit uneasy about 8 year contracts for all the backroom staff. There's often a case for bringing in someone with new ideas and fresh energy.

But in general, I applaud the boldness of the management's approach. It's a big vote of confidence in Pardew, and that will help him to be bold in his decision making in turn.

By way of contrast, Liverpool make noises about finally getting the right man, but they only offer him a 3 year deal. He's on shaky ground to start with.

Even if we bought those players I don't think we could EXPECT to finish above Chelsea or Everton. Targets need to be realistic imo.

What are you on about man? :lol: Who cares about those clubs?  We should look to continuously improve ourselves.  That's it.  Nothing else to it.

Your assessment of how desperately we should add numbers to improve is obviously up for debate.

We had the 3rd best form in the country from January onwards last season. Our current squad achieved that. As i mentioned before our best results this season have been without both Colo, Simpson & Tiote in part.

What is your basis that suggests we should be going out of our way to match other clubs fee's to maintain or improve? Whats the basis for it beyond insecurity? Because the results dont back it up.

:lol: What?  We have been so fortunate with injuries in the last few years it's unreal.

I see where you're coming from but I think as a cub we've turned a corner on this now. The training facilities have been upgraded and we're not seeing as many training ground injuries as before. Add to that the fact that our best player was out for a year with a broken leg and Saylor's half a season out last year and I don't think you can say we've been insanely lucky. Also I think we do our homework a bit better now in terms of injury record IF we're paying a transfer fee.

p.s. there's also Tiote's regular month out at a time

One good thing is the impression of stability it gives to the players. That impression could probably help players staying and signing for us in due course. A club that alledgedly puts this much faith in the managerial set up communicates a clear vision and the sort of stability that I really think speaks volumes in terms of selling the club to players.

The backside is that we'll be hopeless if Pardew's fortunes turn sour. Imagine if we sit in the bottom half and are out of all cups come April next year. He is under some pressure to perform in order for his situation here to not turn ugly. Llambias specifically says a bad run of results won't change Pardew's position, which is worrying. Results are what matters in the end. We don't want to become Liverpool and count success in off-field progress and the passing percentage of one player (Perch instead of Allen).

Also, some of our best signings ever were "over-priced" - Shearer was probably over-priced at £15m, same goes for Ferdinand at £6m given his age and the transfer market at that time (we'd only gotten about this amount for a far younger striker Cole from the top club in the country a few months previous), Robert at £10m is another one, even Bellamy was a risk at £6m.  They all proved their value.  I know we're talking about different regimes here but sometimes you just have to get the deal done.  Otherwise we're stuck forever waiting around for contract loopholes while the squad is left woefully short of numbers and quality. 

The situation up front is a disgrace, we've let Best and Lovenkrands go and there is nobody new there.  I hope to God we sort that out in January.

Add into that Keegan for 100k.

Basically the best signing we ever made whichever way you look at it

Has this bit of the story got enough talk here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9571358/Newcastle-manager-Alan-Pardew-handed-eight-year-contract-by-owner-Mike-Ashley.html

“The club’s target is to finish eighth, but Alan’s target is to match last season and, if possible, better it.”

That's a lower target than I expected, I was expecting tougher season and with all the games I wouldn't be that surprised if a little disappointed.

The finish 8th thing has been peddled a few times hasn't it. It was 10th last season, 8th this and then Europe next season? Certainly makes a case for why funds were not spent if you look at it in this way as regardless of the squad deficiencies we're still in top 8 (on paper) in terms of players.

Not bothered about the 8 year deal because there will be enough clauses in there to protect the club. 

Haven't fully bought into Pardew either - kind of neutral on him really.  I still think he has a lot to prove.  He says a lot but it often doesn't translate to what we see on the pitch.  I think we have some exceptional players but we are still not getting the best out of them as a team - it always seems to be a case of just doing enough.  I think we have the potential to play loads better than we do (barring the occasional game) and I find it frustrating that the team has not really evolved in its style of play. 

It also seems to me as if he is also trying to "manage" the fans - telling us what we should think and do - I find him quite patronising at times.  And he should stop telling everyone he was manager of the year.  That's been and gone.

As for Llambias, I think he is a repulsive man and I don't believe a word he says and the story changes depending on what propaganda they are trying to promote at any given time.  They have been at the club for 5 years now and they made a fair contribution themselves to the financial mess of the club due to their own incompetence.  It's about time, he stopped looking backwards to blame what went on before them.  I don't have a problem with the financial policy although when other clubs refuse to adopt a similar model and Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea are raking in fortunes, I don't really see how we can regularly compete for a Champions League place - the best we can hope for is trying to hang in there in the hope that one of the top 4 messes up like Chelsea last season.

Sorry but I cannot help but remain hugely suspicious of anything Llambias says and the motives for saying them.  I still see a mean-spirited and spiteful board that would prefer to keep the supporters at a distance rather than embrace them.  However, I truly hope to be proved wrong and that they do genuinely have the best intentions for the football club itself and all its employees (whether players, coaches or admin staff) rather than using it as a vehicle primarily to promote Sports Direct.

Pretty much what I think too.

Not bothered about the 8 year deal because there will be enough clauses in there to protect the club. 

Haven't fully bought into Pardew either - kind of neutral on him really.  I still think he has a lot to prove.  He says a lot but it often doesn't translate to what we see on the pitch.  I think we have some exceptional players but we are still not getting the best out of them as a team - it always seems to be a case of just doing enough.  I think we have the potential to play loads better than we do (barring the occasional game) and I find it frustrating that the team has not really evolved in its style of play. 

It also seems to me as if he is also trying to "manage" the fans - telling us what we should think and do - I find him quite patronising at times.  And he should stop telling everyone he was manager of the year.  That's been and gone.

As for Llambias, I think he is a repulsive man and I don't believe a word he says and the story changes depending on what propaganda they are trying to promote at any given time.  They have been at the club for 5 years now and they made a fair contribution themselves to the financial mess of the club due to their own incompetence.  It's about time, he stopped looking backwards to blame what went on before them.  I don't have a problem with the financial policy although when other clubs refuse to adopt a similar model and Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea are raking in fortunes, I don't really see how we can regularly compete for a Champions League place - the best we can hope for is trying to hang in there in the hope that one of the top 4 messes up like Chelsea last season.

Sorry but I cannot help but remain hugely suspicious of anything Llambias says and the motives for saying them.  I still see a mean-spirited and spiteful board that would prefer to keep the supporters at a distance rather than embrace them.  However, I truly hope to be proved wrong and that they do genuinely have the best intentions for the football club itself and all its employees (whether players, coaches or admin staff) rather than using it as a vehicle primarily to promote Sports Direct.

Ace.

Even if we bought those players I don't think we could EXPECT to finish above Chelsea or Everton. Targets need to be realistic imo.

What are you on about man? :lol: Who cares about those clubs?  We should look to continuously improve ourselves.  That's it.  Nothing else to it.

Your assessment of how desperately we should add numbers to improve is obviously up for debate.

We had the 3rd best form in the country from January onwards last season. Our current squad achieved that. As i mentioned before our best results this season have been without both Colo, Simpson & Tiote in part.

What is your basis that suggests we should be going out of our way to match other clubs fee's to maintain or improve? Whats the basis for it beyond insecurity? Because the results dont back it up.

:lol: What?  We have been so fortunate with injuries in the last few years it's unreal.  Surely you can't be happy with us chancing our luck like this time and time again.  If we had bought a couple more players in the summer then we might be able to play a team in Europe that is better than a reserve team for a start.

Really? I think there's a fair argument that had we not lost HBA for a year and then needed a few months to get him up to speed we'd have finished top 8 first season back up and possibly top 4 last year, even moreso when you think we've also lost Taylor for over a year in that time as well as Marveaux's adaption to English football being hindered.

Wallace sums up my feelings perfectly.

Hughesy I don't think anyone would argue that Pardew has done a great job but also I think it's difficult to argue that he gets the best out of the players. We have a remarkable set of players IMO and should control far more games than we actually do instead of every three points being ground out and hanging on.

Their ideaology behind improving the footballing side has left me a little puzzled. Just because i don't get it it doesn't mean it's wrong but a couple of things have left me feeling that the words haven't been matched by the actions.

We all know Pards likes a 4-4-2 and under that system (with Simmo back when fit, as he will be) the starting 11 will be no different to last years. So, we haven't bought a single 1st team player. We bought a back-up who can play in a couple of different positions for when we're short in midfield or fullback but the 1st 11 is exactly what it should have been last year (Saylor's injury curtailed it). Now, the rhetoric coming out of the club regarding trhe development of the 1st team has not been played out in reality. No imrovement in 1st team, no improvement in final league position/points total. If we could see an evolution in the playing style then that might lead to the team actually putting more points on the board, then maybe,  but that's not happening either. Bit of a stagnation there if everyone's honest.

Then there's the thinking that we will bring through players from the Youth/Reserve to fill some of the spaces or push us on. I can't name a single one who i can comfortably say will be displacing or seriously challenging a 1st team player by the end of season.

Will Streete start to push Colo or Saylor out of the team? No

Ferguson/Tavernier ahead of Santon/Simpson? No (don't for a second believe Pards would drop Simpson for Tav)

Will Bigi look like getting starts ahead of Tiote/Cabaye when those 2 a fit and able? No

Vuckci/Sammy ahead of HBA/Jonas? No

Campbell ahead of Ba/Cisse? No

There's no one behind the 1st 11 threatening to take their place and there appears to be little fear that players will be brought in either.

If you do very well one season you don't rest on your laurels or sit back and consolidate. You use it to push on and an outlay of £3m with holes all over the squad is not indicative of a club with progress in mind.

I do completely agree with Derek about one point though, 8th is realistic.

Hughesy I don't think anyone would argue that Pardew has done a great job but also I think it's difficult to argue that he gets the best out of the players. We have a remarkable set of players IMO and should control far more games than we actually do instead of every three points being ground out and hanging on.

Hopefully in time this ability to control matches will develop.  I am certainly prepared to give Pardew a fair amount of leeway on this given what he has achieved since he has been here. 

And to be honest, if he carries on delivering top 6 places each season (especially given the resources of the teams in the top 4), I am not sure I am really that bothered about whether or not we control matches sufficiently.  Whether we can do that without controlling matches as you say is up for debate.

Hopefully in time this ability to control matches will develop.  I am certainly prepared to give Pardew a fair amount of leeway on this given what he has achieved since he has been here. 

And to be honest, if he carries on delivering top 6 places each season (especially given the resources of the teams in the top 4), I am not sure I am really that bothered about whether or not we control matches sufficiently.  Whether we can do that without controlling matches as you say is up for debate.

I think it's been difficult for him to install the passing game we all crave. Sure, the ingredients are all there, but fringe players and backup are not that gifted. The distance in quality between some of our first team players and those replacing them is huge in my opinion.

Putting in the likes of Ryan Taylor, Gosling, Williamson and Shola when Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cissé and Coloccini are out - any team would struggle to keep to their ideological approach.

However, I do share concerns about Pardew's ability to get the best out of our current squad. He's really struggling to optimize a couple of our players and he's very persistent in some tactical aspects that clearly aren't working for us. I just wish he would look back at some of the games from the end of last season and try to see what worked well in those games. For me, Stoke (h) in April is the best football we've played for fucking ages.

I think people are somewhat over-estimating our squad.  Yes, we have a good starting XI and a decent enough bench, but I am not convinced that we should be doing any better than we currently are (by currently I mean last season and the start of this season).  I think most people would admit that Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd definitely have better starting XIs and squads than us and, if we are being completely objective about it, so do Spurs.  Any place higher than 6th and I think we are punching about our weight for the quality of squad we have.

I think people are somewhat over-estimating our squad.  Yes, we have a good starting XI and a decent enough bench, but I am not convinced that we should be doing any better than we currently are (by currently I mean last season and the start of this season).  I think most people would admit that Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd definitely have better starting XIs and squads than us and, if we are being completely objective about it, so do Spurs.  Any place higher than 6th and I think we are punching about our weight for the quality of squad we have.

Do Norwich and Villa have better starting XIs though? ;)