Alan Pardew

Dave

When we lose it is because of Pardew and when we win it is despite him. For some people at least, and those people who still have time for Pardew are wasting their time explaining why. I know this feeling well from explaining why I still had some support for Mike Ashley.

Fully agree with this. This is so deep-rooted i'm probably going to leave this thread alone.

Me too.

You won't miss much. Come back for a quick look in a month or so, or if you prefer take a look at about a month ago, it'll be no different.

You could also set up a "change of ownership" alert, if that goes off then his situation may change.

i'm looking now at pardew having his  version of moyes's near relegation season (and i remember many a phone in with scousers wanting him "sackhhhhed"). next season there are few excuses given the squad we now have (and hopefully have come september).

With our present squad and a couple of sensible additions we should have a very good next season.

So credit to Pardew & Co. They've built the squad and have great belief in it, which seems to be reciprocated.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Which managers out there (and would want to manage Newcastle) are you suggesting could do more with this team?

I have no idea which managers would want to manage Newcastle or not so anyone I suggest would be pointless :lol:

I think most managers with a track record of playing expressive attacking football would be a better choice though, preferably from the continent.

Pardew simply isn't amongst the top bracket of managers imo.

Really I only put that down to try and stop people being lazy and just naming the best managers currently in the game, who I can't imagine would jump at the chance to manage us.

Are people wanting someone like Sousa or Martinez?

I probably wouldn't want either. I don't think Martinez would be a bad choice tbh, although it really wouldn't be worth the gamble :lol:

It just seems the arguments for keeping Pardew seem to be "because he doesn't deserve to be fired" (he fucking did about 6 weeks ago) and "who else will come here?"

I sort of agree with the first bit now, he's starting to drag himself out of a massive fucking hole so it would be harsh to sack him, I do think that if Mike was a bit more adventurous we could find a better manager from abroad though. I'm not going to suggest who that manager would be as I honestly haven't got a fucking clue :lol:

Personally, I'm unsure either way. Happy to 'stick with him' so to speak, as I'm not sure who there actually is to come in and replace him. Granted there are things that need to be improved, and hopefully he's aware of that (Corners...). Also, given Ashley's track record of appointments, I'd expect it to be some 'no name' from the Championship, Eddie Howe or someone.

Which managers out there (and would want to manage Newcastle) are you suggesting could do more with this team?

I have no idea which managers would want to manage Newcastle or not so anyone I suggest would be pointless :lol:

I think most managers with a track record of playing expressive attacking football would be a better choice though, preferably from the continent.

Really I only put that down to try and stop people being lazy and just naming the best managers currently in the game, who I can't imagine would jump at the chance to manage us.

Relegation survival expert, Roberto Martinez? Of course, of course.

Look at the calibre of player Wigan have had during his tenure as manager. The fact they have retained Premier League status for the 3 seasons he has been manager is borderline miraculous. That's before you factor in a lack of any decent investment or decent home support. His Swansea League One side were one of the best teams I can remember seeing (aesthetically).

I'm not saying I want him here, but the idea that some people do isn't at all ridiculous.

Guest icemanblue

Relegation survival expert, Roberto Martinez? Of course, of course.

Look at the calibre of player Wigan have had during his tenure as manager. The fact they have retained Premier League status for the 3 seasons he has been manager is borderline miraculous. That's before you factor in a lack of any decent investment or decent home support. His Swansea League One side were one of the best teams I can remember seeing (aesthetically).

I'm not saying I want him here, but the idea that some people do isn't at all ridiculous.

A GOOD manager would have those same players in Europe IMHO. (That's how this works, isn't it?)

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying exactly. I just think that it's not so open and closed as that. There are skills that a manager can use to help prepare a substitute to go on and do the 'right' job. Part of that is known the strengths and weaknesses of who you're bringing on. Knowing how THAT game is being played. Where the key points are, where the weak points are of the opposition. Knowing WHY you want to make a sub (rather then just rolling the dice and hoping).

The way you've suggested it works sounds like no manager ever would have any influence over how a substitute would perform.

Agree a manager has influence, but the way some go on, on this forum, is that he should be consistently waving his magic wand and making things happen.

We should have beaten Swansea. Gouf and others could/should have scored (individual errors). The goal we conceded was a shambles (individual errors).

What I would be interested in is us as a community scoring the various aspects of being a manager, eg:

Relationship with Media

Relationship with Fans

Relationship with Chairman/Owner

Relationship with Board

Relationship with Scout

Man Management

Ability to execute within a strict framework/budget

Pre-Game Strategy etc

Training/Coaching

etc

Not an exhaustive list, but you get the point. I think he scores very VERY well in some areas, and probably not so well in others.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You've lost me?

Inochi Banter is Best Banter. You'll learn to admire it's subtle punch.

I'm not sure I buy the fact that Wigan staying up is such an amazing achievement. Not to mention the fact that they often only just survive on the last day. Do they really have players that are so much worse than the rest of the bottom half teams?

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying exactly. I just think that it's not so open and closed as that. There are skills that a manager can use to help prepare a substitute to go on and do the 'right' job. Part of that is known the strengths and weaknesses of who you're bringing on. Knowing how THAT game is being played. Where the key points are, where the weak points are of the opposition. Knowing WHY you want to make a sub (rather then just rolling the dice and hoping).

The way you've suggested it works sounds like no manager ever would have any influence over how a substitute would perform.

Agree a manager has influence, but the way some go on, on this forum, is that he should be consistently waving his magic wand and making things happen.

We should have beaten Swansea. Gouf and others could/should have scored (individual errors). The goal we conceded was a shambles (individual errors).

What I would be interested in is us as a community scoring the various aspects of being a manager, eg:

Relationship with Media

Relationship with Fans

Relationship with Chairman/Owner

Relationship with Board

Relationship with Scout

Man Management

Ability to execute within a strict framework/budget

Pre-Game Strategy etc

Training/Coaching

etc

Not an exhaustive list, but you get the point. I think he scores very VERY well in some areas, and probably not so well in others.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj594/stuartwcullington/AlanPardewOverview_Profile.png

Guest icemanblue

You've lost me?

:lol: Not really directed at you, mate. More of a comment on those stating what we SHOULD be capable of with this squad. It's all opinions anyway.

Guest icemanblue

I'm not sure I buy the fact that Wigan staying up is such an amazing achievement. Not to mention the fact that they often only just survive on the last day. Do they really have players that are so much worse than the rest of the bottom half teams?

It's not and they don't. They're often up against the worst of the promoted fodder as well. Lovely football, though.

You've lost me?

:lol: Not really directed at you, mate. More of a comment on those stating what we SHOULD be capable of with this squad. It's all opinions anyway.

Didn't think it was  :lol: I get what you're saying too. Re: Martinez, I think it is a big achievement to keep them up and I really don't think many managers could. That being said its all conjecture and its all if's and maybes. . I have asked the question in this thread whether people think Management is a Science or an Art. I certainly think there is a lot of luck involved at times. Its also very difficult to compare like for like.

Probably the only real yardstick is consistency. Whilst you can perhaps infer things from Pardew's past managerial experience he hasn't really been here long enough to say whether or not he is consistently good or consistently bad. It gets difficult to assess him objectively anyway as there will always be a combination of bias, the irrationality of emotion and forum rhetoric.

Guest icemanblue

You've lost me?

Didn't think it was  :lol: I get what you're saying too. Re: Martinez, I think it is a big achievement to keep them up and I really don't think many managers could. That being said its all conjecture and its all if's and maybes. . I have asked the question in this thread whether people think Management is a Science or an Art. I certainly think there is a lot of luck involved at times. Its also very difficult to compare like for like.

Probably the only real yardstick is consistency. Whilst you can perhaps infer things from Pardew's past managerial experience he hasn't really been here long enough to say whether or not he is consistently good or consistently bad. It gets difficult to assess him objectively anyway as there will always be a combination of bias, the irrationality of emotion and forum rhetoric.

:thup:

They do have rather quality players, in spite of the lack of investment. I think that's testament to Martinez's scouting. Gomez, Kone, Di Santo, Espinoza, Ramis are all pretty shrewd acquisitions, players that could cut-it at other PL teams.

Holding everything else constant though, I think Wigan immediately drops after Martinez leaves.

Guest Dontooner

Does anyone think Pardew would keep Wigan up like?

HahaHa wonder why i burst out laughing after i read your question.

Seriously "No"