Alan Pardew

Dave

We were s**** today like. Can't understand how anybody could think otherwise.

I know I'm one to talk, but agenda is surely the only reason to say we played well today. Blindingly obvious who'd be making the "Leave him alone!" posts before you even log on.

Guest icemanblue

We were s**** today like. Can't understand how anybody could think otherwise.

I know I'm one to talk, but agenda is surely the only reason to say we played well today. Blindingly obvious who'd be making the "Leave him alone!" posts before you even log on.

:lol: Ditto.

it was a horrid game to watch cos we couldn't get it in the f***ing net, and because watching any game with stoke is a chore to watch, but we still passed it around pretty well. It wasn't a display of great flair attacking movement no, a game to be forgotten sure. But turgid? It just seemed a bit of an off day against some really boring well organised opposition in which we just did enough in the end.

I wonder if it's a linguistic problem, we aren't brilliant right now but we're improving. Do I think Pardew can get us playing like genuine champions league contenders? No, even though I do think we have a fair few players of that ilk in our team cos he's a pretty poor tactician, but do I think we can play under Pardew some pleasant to watch footy? Yes, cos saw it last season. We can play better than we did today, we've changed for the better since season start and playing much better footy than we used to, which was 'turgid'

Chelsea was an entertaining game and Southampton wasn't bad but I've still no faith we'll cut open the opposition with clever passing and movement, it's just generally getting the ball to the forwards quickly and hoping something comes off.  I say it's a chore to watch because it generally is, it struck me today that I forget about it in between the games but generally during the actual game I'm bored out of my mind and can't wait for it to finish.  It's massively uninspiring stuff on the whole.

We look clueless in the final third. It's uninspiring to say the least. I think the team on paper should be performing at a much higher level. Hopefully cohesiveness of team performances will continue to improve, and our chance creation may improve along with it, because right now it feels like we get to the final third and have no idea what to do. Other than hump it into the box and watch Papiss battle against four 6ft10 ogres.

We look clueless in the final third. It's uninspiring to say the least. I think the team on paper should be performing at a much higher level. Hopefully cohesiveness of team performances will continue to improve, and our chance creation may improve along with it, because right now it feels like we get to the final third and have no idea what to do. Other than hump it into the box and watch Papiss battle against four 6ft10 ogres.

Today you're right, but Stoke have a part to play in that too.

We were poor today but no way you can call the football against Spurs, Swansea, Chelsea, Southampton etc etc turgid or a chore.

They weren't the football feasts that people are carrying on like either.  Chelsea was the first time I've been excited about an NUFC performance for a long while, I'll give you that.

Today you're right, but Stoke have a part to play in that too.

:snod:

We're much better prepared to deal with a team playing a high line right now, see Southampton. We've got pace and directness, given space in behind, which we never got today, Cabaye or Sissoko can make the ball in behind and Gouffran and Cisse will get plenty of chances.

Can defenitely see some improvements regarding our attacking play, and the newcommers has a great effect in this. Debuchy actually gets his crosses to the box, albeit, can't really remember last we scored from a cross tbf. but we have that presence there at last. With Cisse, more often then not Sissoko and gouffran/jonas. Thats more then we used to have. In rebound areas we have also become better with Cabaye and Tiote ready to pick up any balls scruffed out of the oppositions area.

Also now both fullbacks often attack, wich means more width aswell. Both gouffran and Sissoko are excellent at working the channels aswell. It's just that one thing, we ain't got any especially good headers of the bunch. And often I saw good options of passes to the penalty area from the byline today wich was ignored. We often got good finishers in theese positions and Cabaye especially likes to arrive late into the box.

Guest antz1uk

The man hasn't got a clue, negative kick and rush shit booting it up top on the hope that our technical footballers have the 'quality' to make something happen. The players must be pulling their hair out

We weren't fucking playing kick and rush football ffs we had 58% possession, we passed it fine, we had freedom of the pitch for fair parts of the game ffs. Sometimes wonder what game people are watching...

We were poorly set up to deal with Stoke, we couldn't get a ball into the box against a team perfectly set up to deal with balls into the box, and our pace counted for zilch against a team basically defending in the box. It wasn't good I agree but it wasn't 'kick and fucking rush'

It worries me that we simply dont create enough inside the box, and no, swinging aimless crosses over and over dont count.

People even talk about how poor our set pieces are which baffles me.  Yes we are poor at it but we should not be relying on set plays to get results .

What about getting the basics right first, like creating chances from open play.  remember when we were little kids on the school pitch imagine if a teacher told you, "listen boy our biggest chance of scoring is from corners and freekicks".  We would had told him to f*** right off.

If anything it was too easy for us to control possession. It seemed like we almost didn't understand what we had to do to make something happen.

We lacked a bit of intelligence and/or instruction on which attacking approaches would work against them. Also the starting lineup maybe contributed to that, a bit of Pardew's natural conservativeness there. But credit to him for changing it around in time to get a winner.

Wish we ran down the line and kicked in an low ball hard into the box horizontally much much more, at least get some ping pong going in the box, we seemed to want to cut back and hit an overhead inswinging thing instead and every time Begovic was there. Baffling, and poor.

It worries me that we simply dont create enough inside the box, and no, swinging aimless crosses over and over dont count.

People even talk about how poor our set pieces are which baffles me.  Yes we are poor at it but we should not be relying on set plays to get results .

What about getting the basics right first, like creating chances from open play.  remember when we were little kids on the school pitch imagine if a teacher told you, "listen boy our biggest chance of scoring is from corners and freekicks".  We would had told him to f*** right off.

:lol: What a ridiculous thing to say.

I remember the Keegan years, the set piece taker would just smash the ball straight out of play because scoring a goal that wasn't the result of 40 or 50 passes was beneath us.  Those were the days.

Having a good ol' chuckle at the posts made around 4.27, like. :lol: So delightfully smug.

In my opinion, we haven't had a 'bad' performance since we won away at Villa. We look a team again and we're winning games. That's us now nine points clear of 18th, and looking up.

That team today was missing our captain, Krul and Ben Arfa. We dominated the game, but struggled to break down a woeful but well organised Stoke team. Surprisingly enough, without our most creative player and chief attacking threat. We went behind to a pen from an idiotic tackle, not anything from open play. I don't remember Elliot being particularly busy in regards to shot stopping. We turned the game around by introducing a more creative player, and a left back with an instruction to attack. We were able to do this by leaving on a player happy to sit and cover in Jonas.

He's doing alright, for me, like.

If we were in the bottom 3 I have no doubt you would still take a positive from it, that just seems to be the way you are and that's not a fault but it doesn't mean anybody who has a different opinion is wrong.

We were as frustrating as hell today and we tried the same thing which failed time after time, we scored a really well taken freekick but it wasn't until Cisse scored in the 92nd minute that we realised that hitting high balls into the box wasn't working and that had little to do with how well Stoke were organised.  It was because they had a keeper who was taking everything that came his way and that was abvious from early in the 1st half.  Stoke held a good line and we played a game that suited them for far too long.

You name 3 missing players, I doubt 2 of them would have made the slightest difference to our game or the result. 

Guest icemanblue

Having a good ol' chuckle at the posts made around 4.27, like. :lol: So delightfully smug.

In my opinion, we haven't had a 'bad' performance since we won away at Villa. We look a team again and we're winning games. That's us now nine points clear of 18th, and looking up.

That team today was missing our captain, Krul and Ben Arfa. We dominated the game, but struggled to break down a woeful but well organised Stoke team. Surprisingly enough, without our most creative player and chief attacking threat. We went behind to a pen from an idiotic tackle, not anything from open play. I don't remember Elliot being particularly busy in regards to shot stopping. We turned the game around by introducing a more creative player, and a left back with an instruction to attack. We were able to do this by leaving on a player happy to sit and cover in Jonas.

He's doing alright, for me, like.

If we were in the bottom 3 I have no doubt you would still take a positive from it, that just seems to be the way you are and that's not a fault but it doesn't mean anybody who has a different opinion is wrong.

We were as frustrating as hell today and we tried the same thing which failed time after time, we scored a really well taken freekick but it wasn't until Cisse scored in the 92nd minute that we realised that hitting high balls into the box wasn't working and that had little to do with how well Stoke were organised.  It was because they had a keeper who was taking everything that came his way and that was abvious from early in the 1st half.  Stoke held a good line and we played a game that suited them for far too long.

You name 3 missing players, I doubt 2 of them would have made the slightest difference to our game or the result. 

Honestly, whatever, mate. :lol:

I had a class day today. I'm enjoying going to matches again. Hope you can enjoy one at some point.

This thread is like banging your head against a brick wall. The anti-Pardew lot won't concede that he made good subs or did basically anything at all right and the pro-Pardew lot won't admit that the fact we were poor for most of the game is kind of unacceptable against a shit team like Stoke.

It's the over hit balls in behind, passes that go out for a throw in, over running a dribble and bad first touches that cause so much frustration and disrupt the flow of our play so much. We do a better job of breaking up our play than the opposition do.

Utterly ludicrous post given that Man Utd have scored 19 goals from set pieces.