Alan Pardew

Dave

If I was being picky I would say we shouldn't have settled for 3-1 (which we clearly did), but generally his approach to the game was more-or-less spot-on and he's been undone by two ridiculous errors from two of his cast-iron starters.

Benfica seem to be the exact opposite of our team in their approach and formation. They pile their players into the opposition half then look to play quick short passes with plenty of players attacking the box. We pile our players into our own half and look to hit the ball long towards the isolated centre forward. They look vulnerable at the back but we never really tested that high defensive line enough.

Manager still ain't at fault. :lol:

This is the only thing going for him as NUFC manager this season and he's still not at fault for turning a lead into a big deficit in the quarter finals. :lol:

And people who want shot of him have the agenda. Fucking hell.

Benfica seem to be the exact opposite of our team in their approach and formation. They pile their players into the opposition half then look to play quick short passes with plenty of players attacking the box. We pile our players into our own half and look to hit the ball long towards the isolated centre forward. They look vulnerable at the back but we never really tested that high defensive line enough.

That sums it up pretty well. Chalk and cheese in terms of approach.

This is the only thing going for him as NUFC manager this season and he's still not at fault for turning a lead into a big deficit in the quarter finals. :lol:

And people who want shot of him have the agenda. Fucking hell.

:clap:

He's got to be gutted tonight, undone by Santon and Taylor.

The approach was absolutely spot on, couldn't really argue with the lineup either.

I thought bringing on Shola was an OK idea when we needed the ball to stick up front, you could argue about who should have gone off though.

Odd thing to say, he didn't hold it up once!

I'm very anti-Pardew but there's not much he could have done differently tonight. We started really well, got the lead and just about hung on. Those 2 Cisse efforts that bounced back off the post have changed the entire complexion of the tie. Crucial moments that went against us can't be blamed on Pardew.

We've been undone by two daft individual mistakes. Unfortunately both mistakes were punished fully against a very good team. 3-1 leaves a hell of an effort needed but the tie's not dead yet. We've been unfortunate tonight and Benfica are a hell of a team. Pissed off but at the way the breaks have fallen rather than at Pardew.

:thup: nailed, I can't blame him for tonight. Two individual errors and two that hit the post, we're 0-4 on those crucial moments going against us.

He's got to be gutted tonight, undone by Santon and Taylor.

The approach was absolutely spot on, couldn't really argue with the lineup either.

I thought bringing on Shola was an OK idea when we needed the ball to stick up front, you could argue about who should have gone off though.

Odd thing to say, he didn't hold it up once!

I know how it panned out, I mean the theory of why he should come on.

Thought that too. Counted 7+ players in and around the final third during one of their attacks, which stood out compared to our attacking gameplan, even at the beginning of the game.

I'm very anti-Pardew but there's not much he could have done differently tonight. We started really well, got the lead and just about hung on. Those 2 Cisse efforts that bounced back off the post have changed the entire complexion of the tie. Crucial moments that went against us can't be blamed on Pardew.

We've been undone by two daft individual mistakes. Unfortunately both mistakes were punished fully against a very good team. 3-1 leaves a hell of an effort needed but the tie's not dead yet. We've been unfortunate tonight and Benfica are a hell of a team. p*ssed off but at the way the breaks have fallen rather than at Pardew.

:thup: nailed, I can't blame him for tonight. Two individual errors and two that hit the post, we're 0-4 on those crucial moments going against us.

:thup:

I'm not sure they'll win over two legs against Chelsea or Spurs with that approach, because those teams will hit back far harder than us. There are those who will say we were unlucky, but I thought they gave us a right pounding over 90 mins.

And people who want shot of him have the agenda. f***ing hell.

Just to be clear - I do not ask for his head based solely on this game. We are pretty much out of the Europa League now, and we are well on our way out of the EPL with this clown in charge. Over the course of this entire season I've wanted him replaced with someone else.

Guest Dontooner

I do agree its one of Pardew's better games where we had counter attacks that actually lead to real chances. Starting Marvx was a key member to this happening also the open defense Benfica had.

This approach works well in some games like Man u last year but come on we invited pressure all day long. Teams are bound to try to make a come back. story of the season over and over again

I'm not sure they'll win over two legs against Chelsea or Spurs with that approach, because those teams will hit back far harder than us. There are those who will say we were unlucky, but I thought they gave us a right pounding over 90 mins.

Very, very harsh conclusion that. I'm not arguing we're as stylish as Benfica but our approach tonight wasn't that bad at all.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Like I said earlier in the thread does the manager have to shoulder all the blame or should some of the players acknowledge their part? 

We've been undone by two daft individual mistakes. Unfortunately both mistakes were punished fully against a very good team. 3-1 leaves a hell of an effort needed but the tie's not dead yet. We've been unfortunate tonight and Benfica are a hell of a team. Pissed off but at the way the breaks have fallen rather than at Pardew.

aye, but some of the Haters in here think he decided those things, when he wasnt offering security advice to North Korea.

We were not unlucky ,  mistakes are not called being unlucky, they are f*** ups that are avoidable.

And agree they gave us a pounding,  20-7 shots,  12-0 corners.  Maybe the stats are wrong ,  I'm sure we had one corner.