Alan Pardew

Dave

We were playing it short all pre-season as well. So it is definitely something Pardew is working on, good on him.

Probably why we signed Anita, someone who will sit on the defence and always give them a passing option.

after we signed Anita i had a quick look on youtube for any clips and there is one video of Ajax v PSV and it has every Anita touch,  first thing that struck me watching was how many times he picked the ball up off the keeper and started Ajax's attacks from there D.  Centre halfs would split and he would come deep to collect and away they would go.

Tiote did it in one of the pre season games, can't remember which one, think it was one of the games in Portugal so think it could be something we will be doing this season,  think its a better tactic playing 433 rather than 442 mind.

Our movement needs to improve a lot if we're going to make this passing game work, nice to see a commitment to it yesterday but it ended up going long in the end a lot anyway.

The 4-4-2 is a big cause, neither of the strikers are much use in terms of dropping off and linking midfield and attack, and both CM's play quite deep when we go with just the two in the middle.

Guest BooBoo

It seems clear to me that 433 is a good option, but that Ba is not at all keen being shoved out there. The 442 keeps everyone sweet but Pards needs to make a call on whether he favours Ba or the more expansive formation. Keeping Ba in a wide role is seemingly just going to alienate him. Despite his great goal, I thought he looked like he was sulking in the second half.

It seems clear to me that 433 is a good option, but that Ba is not at all keen being shoved out there. The 442 keeps everyone sweet but Pards needs to make a call on whether he favours Ba or the more expansive formation. Keeping Ba in a wide role is seemingly just going to alienate him. Despite his great goal, I thought he looked like he was sulking in the second half.

the good thing is we have players who fit perfectly into either formation so even changing it during the game doesn't disrupt us.  You have to give Spurs alot of credit yesterday though, the pressed us high up the pitch and made it difficult to get our passing game going.  It showed it well on mOTD last night, we were struggling against them then all of a sudden we clicked for the goal,  twice in the move we took 3 Spurs players out the game.

the good thing is we have players who fit perfectly into either formation so even changing it during the game doesn't disrupt us.  You have to give Spurs alot of credit yesterday though, the pressed us high up the pitch and made it difficult to get our passing game going.  It showed it well on mOTD last night, we were struggling against them then all of a sudden we clicked for the goal,  twice in the move we took 3 Spurs players out the game.

We find it difficult to get a passing game going when ever we use 4-4-2 though it's just not a system designed for a passing game....

We still get results in it because we have so many players that can make a difference but it's not really suitable for that type of football.

Also another thing if we are going to stick with 4-4-2 then Anita signing seems a bit pointless.

He's going to get a 1 game ban. It was barely anything but he shouldn't have done it, it's a poor example to the players and I think while a games ban is harsh for so minor a thing I'm not sure I can complain either.

Meh, not bothered with a one game ban. It is just about merited, it was heat of the moment, I think he basically wanted to tap the guy on the shoulder to get him to turn around so he could give him a piece of his mind, just got caught in the heat of the moment.

Don't think Carver will have any problems filling in barking at players, and tactics should be passed down easily enough, all that'll consist of will be

Pards: 4-4-2 as normal

Carver: Right and when that doesn't work go to 4-3-3?

Pards: Yea...NO, when the TIME IS RIGHT go to 4-3-3.

Carver: suuuuuuure

Guest Realist

Don't think Carver will have any problems filling in barking at players, and tactics should be passed down easily enough, all that'll consist of will be

It's a Drago v Creed mentality.  Lull them into a false sense of security then tear them apart.

Guest hydeous

It's a Drago v Creed mentality.  Lull them into a false sense of security then tear them apart.

:D

Two great posts!

It was a stupid thing to do and it annoyed me, but only really for the morality of it. The push itself was kids stuff - absolutely bugger all - but with this 'respect the refs' campaign, you'd expect a lot better from one of the country's model managers.

One game ban and a fine sounds about right. Three would be over-the-top.