Alan Pardew

Dave

Was the ball actually out? Looked miles over the line at the time.

Looked out but it was close. The problem was AVB out of his area, on the touchline so he was in the way as the lino tried to make the call.

That's what it looked like any way. :lol:

He was constantly out of the 'technical area' throughout the match and did appear to impede the linesman's view from the sideline replay.  Can't remember him being approached by the 4th official for infringing this very basic rule of the game.

From the MOTD replay that push was absolutely nothing. I thought he'd gone toe to toe with the linesman the way people were talking.

It was nothing at all, if you can't do something like that in a game then I am not sure what the point of it all is any more and I do mean life. All joking aside when did we all become such vaginas that stuff like that is deemed ban worthy?

Not saying it was the end of the world or that he should be banned for life for it but managers shouldn't be touching officials like that, sets a bad example. He'll get a touchline ban fo a handful of games and that seems fair enough IMO.

Guest bimpy474

From the MOTD replay that push was absolutely nothing. I thought he'd gone toe to toe with the linesman the way people were talking.

It was nothing at all, if you can't do something like that in a game then I am not sure what the point of it all is any more and I do mean life. All joking aside when did we all become such vaginas that stuff like that is deemed ban worthy?

Not saying it was the end of the world or that he should be banned for life for it but managers shouldn't be touching officials like that, sets a bad example. He'll get a touchline ban fo a handful of games and that seems fair enough IMO.

Aye, when is a push too hard etc, its a bit like driving after one drink. Just make it zero drinks then we all know where we stand.

Do not touch the officials, simple and easy to understand. Then there can be no debate about what is a bit too far or not.

Aye, when is a push too hard etc, its a bit like driving after one drink. Just make it zero drinks then we all know where we stand.

Do not touch the officials, simple and easy to understand. Then there can be no debate about what is a bit too far or not.

it's fuck all like driving after one drink. you just can't push an official where as you can get away with having a pint and driving.

I understand that nobody should be pushing officials and all that, but to be so simplistic about it is a bit silly IMO. Everyone who saw today's incident will know it's just a minor overreaction and to punish him as if it was serious just makes the system look stupid.

Guest bimpy474

it's fuck all like driving after one drink. you just can't push an official where as you can get away with having a pint and driving.

Well thank you for understanding my point. Just read it more slowly or would you like me to make you a pop up book so you can spend time alone trying ?

I understand that nobody should be pushing officials and all that, but to be so simplistic about it is a bit silly IMO. Everyone who saw today's incident will know it's just a minor overreaction and to punish him as if it was serious just makes the system look stupid.

If it was serious he'd probably be banned for life! Seemed very uncharacteristic of Pardew, can't remember the last time I saw a manager shove an official though, it didn't look great. 

Guest bimpy474

It didn't look great, but it didn't look very much to worry about either.

But there has to be a line not to cross doesn't there ?

A small shove or slightly harder one, none at all means clarity does it not ?.

Now I think about it, laying your hands on an official - even in the heat of the moment - is pretty bad form. Especially by a manager.

Media seemed to have giggled it off, and he's been contrite (albeit in a very jovial way) from the off, so hopefully that will mitigate the impending fine/ban.

Guest bimpy474

He was very contrite, also he didn't use the fact the ball had crossed the line to justify his actions. Which was nice.

None at all means clarity, but why is clarity better than intelligent consideration of the situation?

I expect he will get banned, and maybe football has to operate under such simple regulations, I don't know. But I think it's a shame if a minor incident settled with an apology between adults can't just be left at that.

I don't think it would open the floodgates to wholesale ref pushing.

Guest bimpy474

None at all means clarity, but why is clarity better than intelligent consideration of the situation?

I expect he will get banned, and maybe football has to operate under such simple regulations, I don't know. But I think it's a shame if a minor incident settled with an apology between adults can't just be left at that.

Well because you know where you stand rather than the authorities trying to judge your intent or use of force.

Not arguing its only a minor thing, just take the debate out of it and make it clear cut, no touching at all.

Well because you know where you stand rather than the authorities trying to judge your intent or use of force.

Not arguing its only a minor thing, just take the debate out of it and make it clear cut, no touching at all.

I think you're half right. You're right that he should be fined/banned coz he crossed the line by touching an official. But just like red card ofences, the gravity of the action should be taken into account when deciding the length of the ban. In this case it was clearly an instant, almost automatic reaction in the heat of the moment (he would have pushed anyone in front of him, the linesman just happened to be that person) and which was quickly followed by an apology a few seconds later as opposed to a manager aggressively seeking out an official to push him because he wasn't happy with a decision.

Love ya Ian (you're the poster who's opinions I agree with most on this forum) but you simply can't defend what he did in any sort of sense.  You shove a linesman (manager, player, or otherwise) you get banned - simple as.  There is absolutely no room in the game for it.  They are meant to be disciplinarians (righlyt or wrongly) and if you usurp their authority and get away with what is essentially bullying them, then the whole game is screwed.

He should be happy if it's under three matches and a fine, you simply cannot do that man, it's bang out of order.

Wasn't that bad, and I agree that the linesman should also be held responsible for what was a shit decision that nearly cost us a goal, but he definitely deserves maybe a 1 match touchline ban or a fine.

the ball wasn't out, as shown on the many replays...