Alan Pardew

Dave

Not sure why we bought him tbh.

Apart from the smelt a future bargain / sell-on fee it must have been because he covers about 4 positions?

I agree btw especially if playing 4-4-2 was always the plan.

Guest icemanblue

I still don't see what he's good enough at to start in a midfield 3. Marveaux's a far better footballer and Tiote's better at protecting the back 4, as rubbish as he's been recently.

Precisely. People are saying they'd play him ahead of Tiote, but I've seen very little to suggest he'd be capable of that. He's a tidy, quick passer, but he'd simply be invisible as a defensive force against 90% of Premier League midfields.

I still don't see what he's good enough at to start in a midfield 3. Marveaux's a far better footballer and Tiote's better at protecting the back 4, as rubbish as he's been recently.

Precisely. People are saying they'd play him ahead of Tiote, but I've seen very little to suggest he'd be capable of that. He's a tidy, quick passer, but he'd simply be invisible as a defensive force against 90% of Premier League midfields.

he'd take his place in the XI for me, not positionally.

Guest icemanblue

What three are you thinking?

anita, cabaye, sissoko at present, at the start of the season i was thinking anita, tiote, cabaye.

Guest icemanblue

anita, cabaye, sissoko at present, at the start of the season i was thinking anita, tiote, cabaye.

From what I've seen so far, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in a three minus Tiote. Unfortunately for him, buying Sissoko, and using him as we do, has made his inclusion even less likely. Our best three, for me, is Sissoko, Cabaye and Marveaux.

The midfield I really want to see is Marveaux - Cabaye - Sissoko. I think they'd tear strips off lesser teams.

whereas I think marveaux would give even less defensivly. push him forward to drift and exploit space with ben arfa off cisse imo.

From what I've seen so far, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in a three minus Tiote. Unfortunately for him, buying Sissoko, and using him as we do, has made his inclusion even less likely. Our best three, for me, is Sissoko, Cabaye and Marveaux.

best three technically aye, most effective ? I'm not so sure.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

Bigi simply isn't cut out for this level just yet and as said, if we are playing a DM, Tiote is the only man for the job.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

Bigi simply isn't cut out for this level just yet and as said, if we are playing a DM, Tiote is the only man for the job.

would that not possibly mean tiote getting far too  much possession ?

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

He needs to win it and then give it; look what's in-front of him!

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

i was more thinking of when we play the ball out from the back 4. that central pivot gets more of the ball and that would be tiote, if not it drags cabaye basically back into the position he has been the last few weeks.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

i was more thinking of when we play the ball out from the back 4. that central pivot gets more of the ball and that would be tiote, if not it drags cabaye basically back into the position he has been the last few weeks.

Well, considering that we've got 2 good footballing CBs at the club (or at least one from next season), you should expect them to be able to carry the ball and look for options ahead of them. Tiote covering.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

That's where the manager should come in.  He should be lambasting Tiote and telling him to keep it simple, win the ball and make a pass.  If he stuck to this like he did in his first season he can be a fucking brilliant DM.  But Pardew's clearly doing fuck all to address this, otherwise Tiote wouldn't keep trying to play the ball out from the back as if he's Beckenbauer.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

Well, considering that we've got 2 good footballing CBs at the club (or at least one from next season), you should expect them to be able to carry the ball and look for options ahead of them. Tiote covering.

easy said but look at most teams, they play it to that central pivot in the hope it drags a player in and creates space in behind. also it means we have tiote in there purely to win it and give it, nothing else ? but of a waste of a space on the team sheet imo.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

The reason i felt Anita was bought as he had proven he could do this to a very good standard at Ajax with Vertonghen, now i'm just confused at the whole recruitment of him.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

easy said but look at most teams, they play it to that central pivot in the hope it drags a player in and creates space in behind. also it means we have tiote in there purely to win it and give it, nothing else ? but of a waste of a space on the team sheet imo.

how is that a waste of space, that is basically what makelele did for jose mourinho at chelsea.  Did the same thing at madrid before he went to chelsea.  Won almost everything.

I'd still rather see

Cisse

Marv              Hatem

Cabs Sissoko

Tiote

Rubbish, there are plenty of CBs that come-out with the ball. Having the CBs coming-up with the ball is probably a more effective way to create space in the middle of the park as it takes longer for the pressing player to chase the CB and closing him down. (Unless you've got a Kevin Davies like striker in your side. :memelol: )

It's not a waste of space having a player there purely to win it and release it to the more creative players. The more we push-up, the further up the park Tiote would win it; thus helping us keep the ball in the opposition's half a bit more.

and makalele done a lot more thasn that, he was much more of a link man, controlling possession than tiote , he was also very good at bringing the ball of the back four which I don't think tiote can do well enough.