Chelsea vs Newcastle United - 25/08/12 @ 5:30 (Live on ESPN)

Beren

Wonder if Pards will go with 4231 to try & combat Mata & Hazard playing behind Torres.

given everyone fit i think he'd go somethiung like that, infact more of a 4-5-1 when they have possession but i think the line up wil be determined by who's fit.

Wonder if Pards will go with 4231 to try & combat Mata & Hazard playing behind Torres.

given everyone fit i think he'd go somethiung like that, infact more of a 4-5-1 when they have possession but i think the line up wil be determined by who's fit.

If we go 433 we could get taken to the cleaners.

Why? it's no more open than any other system..... Wigan game aside how many goals have we conceded using 4-3-3?

Like 1? and that was Williamson and Krul having miscommunication and not a system fault.

Don't understand this 4-3-3 is good for attack but defensively vulnerable, we look better defensively in 4-3-3 too for me as we control the game better.

Why? it's no more open than any other system..... Wigan game aside how many goals have we conceded using 4-3-3?

Like 1? and that was Williamson and Krul having miscommunication and not a system fault.

Don't understand this 4-3-3 is good for attack but defensively vulnerable, we look better defensively in 4-3-3 too for me as we control the game better.

Wigan, my friend.

can;t remember us defending with 3 up front at any time when we were supposed to be playing 4-3-3.

Wigan, my friend.

I did say Wigan aside tbf, who till this day i consider a fluke.

Wigan, my friend.

I did say Wigan aside tbf, who till this day i consider a fluke.

So you did. I hope we go 4-3-3 tomorrow.

Wasn't Fulham away last season the first time we experimented with the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 system? Looked brilliant in the first half but got torn to shreds in the second.

Hardly the same as we had Guthrie in midfield and Best on the left and Shola upfront but yeah it was.

I just think we don't just look a lot more fluid going forward but seem more comfortable defensively when we use that system more often than not.

4-4-2 is too flat and open so teams can get in behind our midfield and run at our defense a lot easier.

The difference in defensive solidity between the two systems was there for show last week IMO we didn't just keep the ball better and create more in the 2nd half but we looked more comfortable at the back than we did in the first half were Spurs seem to be able to get at us a lot easier.

Didn't we play with some strange 3 at the back formation for large parts of that Wigan game?

We did yes, it was just a bad day all round lol.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We tried to copy Wigan's system like for like but that was just to try and stop the flow of their attacks. Think we were 3-0 down by the time we changed to 3-5-2 at Wigan.

Imo the best way to deal with Wigan's formation is for Tiote to drop deep for extra numbers at back and then have ben arfa and jonas play very wide behind their wingers and hit them on the break in the space behind them, think we got torn apart by losing the battle for midfield completely and we didn't defend well at all

Imo the best way to deal with Wigan's formation is for Tiote to drop deep for extra numbers at back and then have ben arfa and jonas play very wide behind their wingers and hit them on the break in the space behind them, think we got torn apart by losing the battle for midfield completely and we didn't defend well at all

Personally thought they stretched us by playing very wide, leaving loads of space in the middle for their central players to profit.

Krul

Simpson  Saylor  Colo  Santon

Tiote      Jonas

Cabaye

HBA                          Ba

Cisse

Guest SweMatt

Krul

Simpson  Saylor  Colo  Santon

Tiote      Jonas

Cabaye

HBA                          Ba

Cisse

This looks good, but I would have swapped Jonas with Anita for this game.

Personally thought they stretched us by playing very wide, leaving loads of space in the middle for their central players to profit.

:thup: Their full-backs were absolutely immense that day.

This could be a long evening for us. Chelsea are on a bit of a role, they do look vulnerable defensively but the two wins so far would have given them a lot of confidence. They'll be looking to avenge last seasons defeat and the fact that we finished above them. Would take a draw in a heartbeat from this.