Newcastle vs Aston Villa - 02/09/12 @ 4pm NOT ON TELEVISION

Beren

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2196953/Alan-Pardew-hopes-Demba-Ba-Papiss-Cisse-international-flops.html

Pardew hoping Ba and Cisse fail at international level to save burn out

By Bob Cass

PUBLISHED: 22:42, 1 September 2012 | UPDATED: 22:42, 1 September 2012

Alan Pardew is hoping that his twin strikers from Senegal become international flops, otherwise the Newcastle manager admits he could have a major problem up front.

His first priority will be a vital form resurgence from Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse in this afternoon’s visit of Aston Villa.

‘I think both Cisse and Ba have been under par,’ Pardew said. ‘Senegal v Ivory Coast is a massive game for this football club.

‘If Senegal win that game [and qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations] we are going to lose those two strikers. Then in the next window we are going to have to do something about it.

‘But in the short term, their form has not been good.

‘I think I’ve got enough tactical options to make them worry. It is not often that Cisse and Ba score in the same game so maybe lightning will strike twice.’

Pardew is wary of the threat from Villa in spite of their indifferent start. ‘I think the manager has been really unlucky because they have had so many injuries to senior players. But Paul Lambert can not be judged, or made accountable for those first two results in the Premier League,’ he said.

‘They will have one or two senior players back. The manager is a great manager. He has proven that by taking a club through two divisions and into the Premier League.

‘I know he is going to make Villa great again. He just needs his senior players back and he needs a bit more time.’

Bit harsh on Ba IMO, been okay so far. Certainly better than this time last year.

I can see the argument for the europa league being a poor drag, but tbh if seeing your club play football is a drag something has gone wrong. I want us to play as often as possible in as many countries as possible.

even moaning about the performances is secretly part of the fun  :undecided:

I can see the argument for the europa league being a poor drag, but tbh if seeing your club play football is a drag something has gone wrong. I want us to play as often as possible in as many countries as possible.

I know what you mean, but really, the UEFA Cup was a cracking competition. Why did they have to fuck with that? (Well, money, obv).

I'm a traditionalist, mind. I'd bring back the CWC too.

I know what you mean, but really, the UEFA Cup was a cracking competition. Why did they have to f*** with that? (Well, money, obv).

The CWC was a cracking competition, great memories from it for Barça fans...  It also made winning the Cup a bit more special since it was the only entry point, as winning the league was also the only entry point into the EC. But when they created the CL with the top 4 clubs getting in... it gave UEFA their cash cow but it cheapened everything else.

KO all the way through would be better, I hope they see sense one day and do it again. No CL drop outs as well.

The CL drop outs thing is the most cynical of the lot.

I felt sorry for Fulham the other year, having started in the EL in July, to play what seemed like hundreds of games, only to then have the likes of Man City dropping into it.

It's just wrong.

Television screws up everything in football. It fucked up the format of the EL (and, ironically, doesn't even work, as the competition attracts sod all TV money anyway), and fucked it again with the CL drop outs.

It's all so cynical. I honestly think I preferred football in the late 80s, when people thought you were nuts to go to matches, the government hated us, and it was never on the telly.

I know what you mean, but really, the UEFA Cup was a cracking competition. Why did they have to f*** with that? (Well, money, obv).

The CWC was a cracking competition, great memories from it for Barça fans...  It also made winning the Cup a bit more special since it was the only entry point, as winning the league was also the only entry point into the EC. But when they created the CL with the top 4 clubs getting in... it gave UEFA their cash cow but it cheapened everything else.

The biggest chunk of hypocrisy in football is a "Champions" League where you can finish well off the top of your league and get to enter. It is utter bollocks.

It produces a mad situation (see above) where finishing fourth is seen as more of an achievement than actually winning silverware.

KO all the way through would be better, I hope they see sense one day and do it again. No CL drop outs as well.

The CL drop outs thing is the most cynical of the lot.

I felt sorry for Fulham the other year, having started in the EL in July, to play what seemed like hundreds of games, only to then have the likes of Man City dropping into it.

It's just wrong.

Television screws up everything in football. It fucked up the format of the EL (and, ironically, doesn't even work, as the competition attracts sod all TV money anyway), and fucked it again with the CL drop outs.

It's all so cynical. I honestly think I preferred football in the late 80s, when people thought you were nuts to go to matches, the government hated us, and it was never on the telly.

Ah the good old working class sport, full of men and vulgarity. Far cry from the modern game.  :lol:

Shame the downside of it all still remains down the road.

Unless you win it, the Europa League is just utter s***. The burden of so many games for so little money, and the absurdly offensive system of Champs League drop outs. What I'd give for the old UEFA Cup :(

this on tv at all?

AD Sports HD6

C+ Aitio (fin)

C+ Liga Campeones / HD

Digi Sport 2 (hun)

LIG TV2 / HD

Nova Sport (bulgaria)

Nova Sports 4 (hellas)

Setanta Sports Euro Asia

Sport 1 (russia) / HD

Sport 2 (israel)

SportKlub+ (se europe) / HD