Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

The 4-3-3 argument has been done to death but I'm really not sure how anyone can dispute its necessity. It's easy saying "it's not that simple blah blah blah" but once again we looked a lot better once we made the switch. 

We're setting up to not lose games then switching to 4-3-3 as a response if and when it goes tits up. That mentality's not acceptable to me with the players we have, especially at home.

:thup:

We play good football the odd game in seven. Our results otherwise are/were achieved by improbable individual skill from Ba, then Cisse.

Our defensive discipline is generally good, though we are prone to implode on occasion. Our set pieces are horrific, and I genuinely get worried when we win one because I'm more concerned we'll concede on the break from one of OUR attacking set pieces than in open play.

Ridiculous that we didn't create more chances in the 2nd half. We had about 70% of the ball and had no clue what to do with it. Cabaye was dreadful today. I'm a massive fan of his, but he really needs to step up and be counted.

Bigi, Anita, Ben Arfa, Santon and Coloccini all had good games. The less said about the front two the better. They are not playing for the team, but for themselves. Pardew needs to sort this out ASAP. He also needs to have some fucking words with Krul about his woeful distribution. and while he's at it, how about we practice set-piece delivery ffs? You'd think a premier league outfit would be better prepared, but I have seen nothing to show any coherence or "nous" in our play so far. And this coming from a largely unchanged line up.

Pardew and his coaching staff have a LOT of work to do before Everton.

Krul - 6. Not much to do but decent handling of crosses.

Simpson - 6. Solid, injured early.

Taylor - 6. Not bad, not good either.

Coloccini - 7. The only CB who can get some credit.

Santon - 5. Good attacking but was the weak link in the defense imo.

Ben Arfa - 8. MotM. What a player. What a thunderbastard. Dragged us.

Cabaye - 5. Unfit, poor deliveries. Only thing of note was the decent free kick.

Anita - 7. Great at both CM at RB. Still early days but think he's our best right back.

Jonas - 6. Worked hard but poor deliveries.

Ba - 6. Had that good set-up for the Cisse chance in the first half but was pretty anonymous.

Cisse - 5. Invisible. Where is the real Cisse?

Bigirimana - 7. Confident for such a young lad. Still raw, but the endeavor was there. Had those excellent blocks too.

Obertan - 6. Decent impact, but why not earlier?

Marv - 6. Anonymous. Mainly because he's the type of guy who needs to come earlier to settle the game before he can dictate it.

Pards - 5. Subs were too late, defense wasn't as organized as what we're used to, 4-4-2 still.

Awful result which I will take because we were terrible on the day. Feel for Hatem, the only one on some sort of form in the club at the moment.

Hopefully international break does us good. We need to click, Anyway here are my scores

Krul  6

Santon 7

Colo 7

Saylor 7

Simspon n/a

Anita - 7

Cabaye - 4

Bigi - 7

Ben Arfa - 8

Jonas - 5

Ba - 4

Cisse -5

Honestly next game if certain players haven't improved

Krul

Anita      Saylor    Colo    Santon

Bigi        Perch

HBA    Marv  Jonas

Cisse

Considered Amalfitano rather than Jonas but hasn't been blooded properly. Ba and Cabaye need a kick up the backside to get into gear.

Pardew will get his wish of Ba and Cisse playing poorly for Senegal... they are playing fucking turd for us so it won't be a surprise! - They will come good but it's so strange to see them both playing like they have never met. Both going for same balls and both fairly poor when on the ball.

Our lack of ability from full back and winger to stick a decent cross in is killing us as well, regardless of how hard they work or what space they create.

Pretty turd game to watch, glad a moment of Ben Arfa magic saved us from a defeat. Always got to pick up points at home but against a Villa side, you'd hope to get see your team get all three. Just feel with the players we have that we should have done better today.

They hardly ever played together for Senegal before joining us tbh

I don't think the mentality of the players is anything close to right at the moment. We've look half-arsed and downright arrogant on occasions so far this season. You only have to compare the new lads to the likes of Cabaye, Ba and Cisse to notice how much more up for it certain players are. Those three need a fucking kick up the arse tbh, cos they're not pulling their weight at the moment.

I can sympathise with them if they're deflated by the lack of signings - everybody is - but they're the ones who are getting paid to play. They don't have a right to let board's mishaps effect their performance on the pitch. That's what happened when we went down (obviously to a much more extreme level), so Pardew needs to be wary of that, or we'll see more performances like today.

Mentality of certain players is wrong. Fitness of certain players isn't up to scratch. Pardew set us up in the wrong formation. Played shit, got a shit result. Simple as that.

Hopefully international break does us good. We need to click, Anyway here are my scores

Krul  6

Santon 7

Colo 7

Saylor 7

Simspon n/a

Anita - 7

Cabaye - 4

Bigi - 7

Ben Arfa - 8

Jonas - 5

Ba - 4

Cisse -5

Honestly next game if certain players haven't improved

Krul

Anita      Saylor    Colo    Santon

Bigi        Perch

HBA    Marv  Jonas

Cisse

Considered Amalfitano rather than Jonas but hasn't been blooded properly. Ba and Cabaye need a kick up the backside to get into gear.

Bigi and Perch in the middle for Everton away!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your off your bloody rocker.

Whilst he's a good striker, Demba Ba represents a problem.

I think the 433 might have got an airing if Ba had been prepared to play wide instead of sulking. As soon as he started making noises about it not being his favourite position, we should have perhaps looked at a more flexible attacker to compliment Cisse because whilst they are great induviduals, the two Dembas are a bloody awful partnership. You would never guess they played for the same national team.

I said 2 months ago that letting Ba go with a fine replacement would make us a better team and I got slated to death.

I like Pardew and I think he has done tremendously with the team for nearly 2 years. Hes a great man manager and brilliant with the media. But i just feel he lacks tactically. The quality of players we have in our squad, we should be dictating games alot more than we currently do. Maybe we need a tactical coach to work under him, someone from the continent, to take us to the next level.

Gotta say I can't comprehend all the long balls when your strikers - bar Ameobi - have proven to not be good at all in dealing with them.

Stuff like Krul always punting it up - even when your defenders aren't under pressure - is puzzling. Just lay it to one of the centrebacks. Heck, Coloccini is a great passer of the ball and he can get something started.

Oh, and with all the fullback options injured the vast majority of the players out there today have no competition for places. They know they're in the side next match no matter what.

Goalkeeper? Nope.

Fullbacks? Don't make me laugh.

Central defence? Not unless someone gets injured.

Midfield? Cabaye is guaranteed to start and Tiote's competition is now an 18 year old.

Wingers? Depends on the formation. Not much, really.

Strikers? Literally none.

The failure to bring in the players we needed has knock-on effects that have already come into play, days later.

I don't think the mentality of the players is anything close to right at the moment. We've look half-arsed and downright arrogant on occasions so far this season. You only have to compare the new lads to the likes of Cabaye, Ba and Cisse to notice how much more up for it certain players are. Those three need a fucking kick up the arse tbh, cos they're not pulling their weight at the moment.

I can sympathise with them if they're deflated by the lack of signings - everybody is - but they're the ones who are getting paid to play. They don't have a right to let board's mishaps effect their performance on the pitch. That's what happened when we went down (obviously to a much more extreme level), so Pardew needs to be wary of that, or we'll see more performances like today.

Mentality of certain players is wrong. Fitness of certain players isn't up to scratch. Pardew set us up in the wrong formation. Played shit, got a shit result. Simple as that.

pretty much agree to all that but he wont drop ba/cisse to change our predictable style

I like Pardew and I think he has done tremendously with the team for nearly 2 years. Hes a great man manager and brilliant with the media. But i just feel he lacks tactically. The quality of players we have in our squad, we should be dictating games alot more than we currently do. Maybe we need a tactical coach to work under him, someone from the continent, to take us to the next level.

He doesn't lack tactically at all, or last season wouldn't have happened. What's going on at the moment is pure cowardliness imo, he does have the brains to make a great team out of us - he's already shown that.

Fair play to Villa btw. Few big names but they embarrassed us in terms of workrate and organisation today. Most of our lot seemed to think they could just stroll to victory.

They are worth a mention. They really chased us down and closed off the space. Good in the air too up front and back. Dangerous on the counter and playing off the shoulder. Regardless of the turd performance we served up on a whole, Villa gave us a tough performance.

Appreciate you sugarcoating and caveating your criticism for the forum, but there's no need to: Pardew is a dreadful tactician. One of the most talented squads playing football which wouldn't look out of place at the Brittania.

Fair play to Villa btw. Few big names but they embarrassed us in terms of workrate and organisation today. Most of our lot seemed to think they could just stroll to victory.

They are worth a mention. They really chased us down and closed off the space. Good in the air too up front and back. Dangerous on the counter and playing off the shoulder. Regardless of the turd performance we served up on a whole, Villa gave us a tough performance.

:thup: Agree with this.