Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

If we do go in for another striker in January, then it has to be a quick, busy type with a good engine who can run the channels. Ba and Cisse are just too similar and too static in their movement to keep defenders on their toes in this current system.

Poor performance and Villa deserved at least a point - by far the more fluid and cohesive of the two sides. Anita and Bigirimana were both excellent though. Marveaux and Obertan had a positive impact when they came on and I'd genuinely consider bringing one of them in for either Ba or Cisse for the Everton game; Marveaux in particular distributes the ball well which can only help from an attacking perspective.

Oh, and with all the fullback options injured the vast majority of the players out there today have no competition for places. They know they're in the side next match no matter what.

Goalkeeper? Nope.

Fullbacks? Don't make me laugh.

Central defence? Not unless someone gets injured.

Midfield? Cabaye is guaranteed to start and Tiote's competition is now an 18 year old.

Wingers? Depends on the formation. Not much, really.

Strikers? Literally none.

The failure to bring in the players we needed has knock-on effects that have already come into play, days later.

These are fully grown men we're talking about, if they can't motivate themselves to do better than that simply because there's no-one to replace them then that's a shocking state of affairs. This lot finished 5th last season and played some great football along the way, we know that they can play well, if they want to. I have no competition for my place at work either, but I don't fuck off down the pub and get wasted every day instead of working, they should have more professional pride than that, ffs. I know everyone wants to believe that our transfer dealings - or lack of them - and the evil men responsible are to blame for everything that is wrong in the world, but that should have had nothing whatsoever to do with how poorly we've started the season and if they have then our players have reached a new low for humanity in how pathetic they are being. As I said before, this team - with the exception of Bigi and Anita, who were the best players on the park today anyway - would have given that Villa side a total kicking last season and there's no excuse for them not doing so today.

"I can't say that we deserved to win and you could argue that Villa did," Pardew explained. "We were a bit funny today, we lacked discipline and our set-plays were awful.

"It was a nightmare from a coaching point of view. We were better in the second half but they still had chances. Both managers probably walk away and think a point is fair but we won't come across many teams that will work as hard as Villa did."

Don't think we were too funny, Alan. :lol:

Oh, and with all the fullback options injured the vast majority of the players out there today have no competition for places. They know they're in the side next match no matter what.

Goalkeeper? Nope.

Fullbacks? Don't make me laugh.

Central defence? Not unless someone gets injured.

Midfield? Cabaye is guaranteed to start and Tiote's competion is now an 18 year old.

Wingers? Depends on the formation. Not much, really.

Strikers? Literally none.

The failure to bring in the players we needed has knock-on effects that have already come into play, days later.

we got plenty of option at fullback,  raylor, perch, simpson, fergie, santon, tavernier, anita, even saylor and jonas can play there.  yeh i know not many of them are world class, but we are nowhere near the finance of a top4 side yet.

our midfield is decent enough, with bigi, anita, abeid, marveax, tiote, cabaye , amalfitano, vuckic, hba, jonas, oberdong as a midfield of 5 or 3 combination, these players are decent.

upfront is where we lack strength for a 2 man strike force,  because ba and cisse are too similar.  we just need to utilize the players properly.  with the strikers we got it should be one man up top supported by two wide men either side of him.  why pardew does not like this idea i will never know.

Highlighted the players unavailable for one reason or another (injury or required elsewhere). I'm talking about right now, with only three games played. God knows what it could be like later in the season.

The 4-3-3 argument has been done to death but I'm really not sure how anyone can dispute its necessity. It's easy saying "it's not that simple blah blah blah" but once again we looked a lot better once we made the switch. 

We're setting up to not lose games then switching to 4-3-3 as a response if and when it goes tits up. That mentality's not acceptable to me with the players we have, especially at home.

:thup:

We play good football the odd game in seven. Our results otherwise are/were achieved by improbable individual skill from Ba, then Cisse.

Our defensive discipline is generally good, though we are prone to implode on occasion. Our set pieces are horrific, and I genuinely get worried when we win one because I'm more concerned we'll concede on the break from one of OUR attacking set pieces than in open play.

It's Pardew's philosophy to keep things secure at the back, work hard and prepare meticulously for games. Do that and just hope that the stars up front can produce end product. No real work seems to be spent on our fluidity as a team, at least by Pardew - from what was said last season, that's in Carver's remit.

Unfortunately with a minimum of 10 extra games this season we don't have enough depth any more to out-work teams. What's more, with the European matches and overseas travel we're basically losing out on a whole week of preparation for plenty of games as well - so that's out the window too. And with extra games comes extra injuries and niggles, as we've already seen, so the chances of having a settled side also get reduced.

Having not bolstered ourselves in the window with exciting additions the momentum seems to have been lost and the likes of Cabaye, Jonas, Ba and Cisse need not worry about competition for their places. Never mind full-back or central defence we should've been looking for a couple of strikers, wide forwards, wingers or attacking midfielders to keep pressure on what we already have.

As for the formation - is there anyone out there who thinks persisting with 4-4-2 is a good idea when our two strikers can't play together, it restricts our best player (HBA) and our two in midfield get over-ran?

:thup:

Ba, Cisse and Cabaye were exactly the same last season at home against Norwich, mackems, Wolves and Villa when we played 4-4-2 and just whacked high balls at them. Fuck all to do with effort or fitness.

Agree. People burying their heads in the sand over a worrying lack of evolution. I don't mind losing (like we did to Wigan at the back end of last season , playing 4-3-3 against them) as long as we're evolving and moving forward. Performances and attitudes towards game like today royally piss me off though.

Guest firetotheworks

Just got back. Villa are shit and yet our tactics seemed to be aimed towards helping them. I love the bloke, but Pardew got it all wrong and didn't change it. Customary mention of 442 being a waste of everything.

Slow start to the season, not a good performance at all today. Our players are still class though, it will click eventually.

Confusing to see us play the ball long from Krul so often, when we've actively been trying to avoid that so far this season. Worrying that we didn't create many chances, but hoping that the sharpness and energy will come soon with competitive matches.

I didn't see much to give Villa a lot of credit for, I think other teams get far too much credit on here. They were just about OK, but not a good performance by any means.

I would love to see us go back to proper 4-3-3, but it seems Pards is set against it for some reason.

Ba, Cisse and Cabaye were exactly the same last season at home against Norwich, mackems, Wolves and Villa when we played 4-4-2 and just whacked high balls at them. Fuck all to do with effort or fitness.

The formation is definitely the main problem - i absolutely hate the 4-4-2 - but those three don't look particularly motivated either. Cabaye just wasn't picking his arse up; he's petulant at the best of times but today he just looked disinterested. Was infuriating to watch. They can be pissed off, but they're not allowed to let boardroom failures effect their performance. Not one bit.

I think if we're going to play Ba and Cisse up front then we should play HBA in the hole behind them and try to feed them that way. If Anita continues at right-back both him and Santon can get forward to provide some width whilst the other three in midfield can cover the middle of the pitch. Reckon that's the only way it's ever going to work.

I think if we're going to play Ba and Cisse up front then we should play HBA in the hole behind them and try to feed them that way. If Anita continues at right-back both him and Santon can get forward to provide some width whilst the other three in midfield can cover the middle of the pitch. Reckon that's the only way it's ever going to work.

Anita is never a fullback man.

one of Ba or Cisse should be benched till they can do anything related to football again. Rather Play Marveaux/Amalfitano/Bigirimana/(obertan)  till they get it sorted out.

Completely agree. I'd drop one of them for Everton, probably Cisse. Note 'drop', not 'rest'.

Thought Villa were quite cynical as well.

They missed quite decent chances through Wienmann and Ireland. (Although, admittedly, I only watched it through a crap steam.)

Eh? :lol: I said cynical not clinical.

Saw Pards on thursday afternoon shopping and I had a quick word.

'Sorry, you must get sick of people coming up to you all the time.' (me smiling apologetically.)

'No, I'm fine with it.' (manages to smile back)

'4-3-3' I blurt out and see the smile drop from his face but am already mid-sentence, 'Ba and Cisse aren't working together.'

Nods his head with what is approaching a grimace on his face. 'I'll keep it in mind,' as he turns back to his shopping.

'Ok, bye.'

'See you'.

(That went well, I thought to myself. Stupid tit, what did you say that for?)