How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

He was superb.  Reminded me very much of Solano in his playing style in that he didn't have much pace or trickery but had a great brain and the vision and passing ability that more than made up for it.  Those two could both strike a ball so sweetly and with such curl that the opposition had no chance whether it was a keeper defending a free kick or a full back trying to stop a cross.

Brand Beckham got to the point where it actually felt really weird to see him on the pitch, playing our sport. I got freaked out watching PSG vs Barcelona - "Holy crap I forgot he was a footballer". He was world class and an incredible crosser/set piece taker. He's not at the immortal level of Messi and Ronaldo though, which was confirmed when he ran off to America.

As a person though, he's absolutely mint. He's a stylish motherfucker and a nice guy! He'll get his knighthood soon.

I'm a Beckham fan boy. Always have been.

He has all the attributes I rate in a footballer. I'm not one for crazy dribbling and 75 goals a season. That stuff is great, Messi is obviously brilliant, but Beckham was just such a top quality pro. Stamina, Workrate, Passing, Ball Retention, Delivery, Finishing. Outstanding at all. Yeah so he didn't have blistering pace or a trick, as Waddle picked out. But he didn't need them. All he needed was a matter of inches. Just a half step around the defender and he would drop the ball exactly where it needed to be. That sort of thing is priceless. It's the sort of thing we laud Cabaye for. The guy was class and that is all that matters to me. Sadly, his fame, fortune and ridiculous good looks have made it easy to hate David Beckham and detract from the fact he was one of the best players of the last two decades.

And as for George Best's opinion. I couldn't give a fuck. He was a world class player but a first class wanker. If he had more about him as a man he could have had everything Beckham had rather than drinking himself into an early grave with only the people who wanted another drink anywhere near him.

I know which one I would want my kids to grow up wanting to emulate.

We are talking about footballing talent here not personality, Beckham seriously is League 2 compared to George Best.

Quite sad to see such a legend labelled a "wanker" just because he was an alcoholic.

You could substitute Best's name for Gascoigne and the point would be identical.

He has all the attributes I rate in a footballer. I'm not one for crazy dribbling and 75 goals a season. That stuff is great, Messi is obviously brilliant, but Beckham was just such a top quality pro. Stamina, Workrate, Passing, Ball Retention, Delivery, Finishing. Outstanding at all. Yeah so he didn't have blistering pace or a trick, as Waddle picked out. But he didn't need them. All he needed was a matter of inches. Just a half step around the defender and he would drop the ball exactly where it needed to be. That sort of thing is priceless. It's the sort of thing we laud Cabaye for. The guy was class and that is all that matters to me. Sadly, his fame, fortune and ridiculous good looks have made it easy to hate David Beckham and detract from the fact he was one of the best players of the last two decades.

And as for George Best's opinion. I couldn't give a fuck. He was a world class player but a first class wanker. If he had more about him as a man he could have had everything Beckham had rather than drinking himself into an early grave with only the people who wanted another drink anywhere near him.

We are talking about footballing talent here not personality, Beckham seriously is League 2 compared to George Best.

Quite sad to see such a legend labelled a "wanker" just because he was an alcoholic.

You could substitute Best's name for Gascoigne and the point would be identical.

If Best really did say what he was reported to have said when Andy Cole joined Man Utd then I think it's safe to call him a wanker.

If Best really did say what he was reported to have said when Andy Cole joined Man Utd then I think it's safe to call him a wanker.

I don't know what he was supposed to have said mate. Or if he was in drink when he said whatever he said.

I don't know what he was supposed to have said mate. Or if he was in drink when he said whatever he said.

"A lot of money to pay for a n*****" is what's been said. Wouldn't shock me.

Different generations big man. You remember Best the player first and foremost. Of course I've seen the clips of him playing, and he was undeniably a world class player. In the top 5 ever without doubt. But I remember the guy who used to sit on the tv, looking like a tramp and blatantly steaming. To me he always came across as someone who was his own biggest fan and looked down on players and people who he deemed beneath him, a deeply selfish man. The same couldn't be said of Gazza who despite his problems has always played down his ability and been pleasant to anyone he came in to contact with, with the possible exception of his wife.

Either way I have no time for people who squander their natural talent so stupidly, when millions around the world would give their left bollock to have an ounce of the ability of a Gascoigne or Best. For me, that is why Beckham is superior to them in every way. He didn't have the talent they had, he worked hard for everything he has got and deserves every penny and all the accolades he rightly receives.

Guest Howaythetoon

The greatest non great player ever. Such a handsome bastard too and a really nice guy as well. I'm straighter than a line but I'd bang the arse off him to be honest. I always thought he would wear our colors one day for some mad bastard reason. Ah well...

The greatest non great player ever. Such a handsome bastard too and a really nice guy as well. I'm straighter than a line but I'd bang the arse off him to be honest. I always thought he would wear our colors one day for some mad bastard reason. Ah well...

:lol: Fucking blokes is quite gay you know. In fact it's about as gay as it gets.

:lol: Fucking blokes is quite gay you know. In fact it's about as gay as it gets.

Only if you enjoy it.

Guest Howaythetoon

He is arguably the greatest crosser and passer of a ball the game has seen. He also had a decent left peg too. Nah fuck it, he was a world-class player. Not of the Zidane, Ronaldos, Messi, Ronaldinho category but up there with your Henrys, Bergkamps etc.

Different generations big man. You remember Best the player first and foremost. Of course I've seen the clips of him playing, and he was undeniably a world class player. In the top 5 ever without doubt. But I remember the guy who used to sit on the tv, looking like a tramp and blatantly steaming. To me he always came across as someone who was his own biggest fan and looked down on players and people who he deemed beneath him, a deeply selfish man. The same couldn't be said of Gazza who despite his problems has always played down his ability and been pleasant to anyone he came in to contact with, with the possible exception of his wife.

Either way I have no time for people who squander their natural talent so stupidly, when millions around the world would give their left bollock to have an ounce of the ability of a Gascoigne or Best. For me, that is why Beckham is superior to them in every way. He didn't have the talent they had, he worked hard for everything he has got and deserves every penny and all the accolades he rightly receives.

I remember being shocked and a little upset when Best appeared on that infamous Wogan interview, nobody had really seen an alcoholic that mortal on TV before. It was such a sad spectacle.

But you can't compare Beckham  as a footballer to him or Gascoigne. It is like comparing Mike Williamson to Franco Baresi. Such a gulf in quality.

"A lot of money to pay for a n*****" is what's been said. Wouldn't shock me.

Wow. Never heard that. Not good obviously if he did say it.

He is arguably the greatest crosser and passer of a ball the game has seen. He also had a decent left peg too. Nah fuck it, he was a world-class player. Not of the Zidane, Ronaldos, Messi, Ronaldinho category but up there with your Henrys, Bergkamps etc.

Nah. To be fair to Becks, you can't compare him to any of them. All far superior. But most are different types of player.

And to say he is one of the best passers ever is laughable to he honest. As is he had a good left foot.

Beckham is so hard to judge because he has been manufactured into this marketing behemoth that doesn't equate with his ability. That's not to deride his ability; Leo Armando Pele wouldn't be as good as the British media have made Beckham out to be at times.

Early on, I felt that Beckham had built a whole career out of one goal (the 60-yarder v Wimbledon) and hooking one of the biggest pop stars of the day. Even after the free kicks started flowing, I thought that yeah, it's a neat trick but Zola does it better.

It wasn't until much later that things like determination, dedication and especially work ethic really impressed me, the way he took what talents he had and constructed something wonderful. He might well have been the slowest winger to ever play the game, but damned if he didn't create a bazillion goals over many years. And it's all very well to say that Real and Milan and Paris signed him to sell shirts, but good teams don't give serious game time to players in order to sell shirts. As dcmk says, Real were starting him ahead of Figo who was one of the best right wingers of the last twenty years.

I think going to LA was a poor sporting decision, but what are you going to do when a dump truck full of cash is unloaded at your house and you've got a horrible woman who wants to live somewhere trendy?

Just no.

and to be fair to the bloke he didn't just go off to America to put his feet up and take it easy, he came back to Europe to show he can still do it.

I'm sure the fountain of youth must be in Carrington.