C.S Marítimo 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 20/09/12 - post-match reaction from pg 31

Disco

That's not a bad result but it all seems a bit pointless because we'll do nothing in the competition playing with the reserves. That's entirely down to the s**** transfer window.

How's that? People wanted a back up striker and Shola was our best player tonight along with Bigi signed this transfer window. We kept a clean sheet with a backup defence pretty much.

Ameobi simply can't score. We knew that years ago. He's not good enough to start games in any competition we play in.

He was unlucky tonight, and he had no service at all.

That's not a bad result but it all seems a bit pointless because we'll do nothing in the competition playing with the reserves. That's entirely down to the s**** transfer window.

How's that? People wanted a back up striker and Shola was our best player tonight along with Bigi signed this transfer window. We kept a clean sheet with a backup defence pretty much.

Eh? If we'd strengthened the squad in the window we wouldn't have to be playing teams comprised of utility players, youngsters and reserves. I absolutely love Shola but he shouldn't be the next best option after Ba and Cisse. It's been that way for years.

I'm not criticising the performance at all. In reality we should have won but the weakness of the players on the pitch prevented us from doing so against an inferior side.

Ameobi simply can't score. We knew that years ago. He's not good enough to start games in any competition we play in.

His positioning on crosses is rubbish (apart from coming in from the back post)

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought we played well enough and gave a good account of ourselves. In games like these it is all about not losing, not losing anyone to injury and giving players a chance and I think a few today did very well, the 'keeper, Shola, Bigi, Obertan even and the French lad too.

\\

His positioning on crosses is rubbish (apart from coming in from the back post)

Aye, the service wasn't good by any means but had our strikers/att-mids attacked the near post at least once - we'd have scored tonight. Positionally we were totally flat in the final third.

Eh? If we'd strengthened the squad in the window we wouldn't have to be playing teams comprised of utility players, youngsters and reserves. I absolutely love Shola but he shouldn't be the next best option after Ba and Cisse. It's been that way for years.

I'm not criticising the performance at all. In reality we should have won but the weakness of the players on the pitch prevented us from doing so against an inferior side.

I think Shola is a decent option for a 3rd choice striker, It's all well and good wanting someone better, but realistically who is going to want to come here to sit on the bench and be behind Cisse and Ba. Especially when both strikers aren't guarenteed a start at the moment.

I think Shola is a decent option for a 3rd choice striker, It's all well and good wanting someone better, but realistically who is going to want to come here to sit on the bench and be behind Cisse and Ba. Especially when both strikers aren't guarenteed a start at the moment.

I just think, in general, we don't have a squad capable of properly challenging in four competitions. Tonight was a prime example of that because we were playing a poor side who had nothing to trouble us with. The players there gave a good account of themselves, but personally i think a better team would have beaten us tonight. You say Shola's a decent option for 3rd choice, but i count four good chances squandered tonight. As for an option for 4th choice; well there isn't one. Campbell is a child.

I just think it's a shame because it's a winnable competition. Certainly more winnable than the FA Cup, or more achievable than finishing 4th.

I know it sounds pessimistic on the back of what is a reasonable result and a reasonable performance, but i'm just talking about my gut instinct here. Pardew doesn't appear to be prioritising the competition, which is completely understandable on the back of a feeble transfer window where we didn't strengthen the squad.

Bear in mind Cisse was ill, or he probably would have started. Shola can't really win can he? Saved our arses a few days ago with a quick cameo. He's by no means perfect but look at what the other clubs around us have as back up strikers. Anichebe for Everton, Harry Kane at Spurs? Liverpool? Arsenal? Chelsea? All pretty light up top. We are lucky to have 2 top class strikers, it would be nice to have a back up striker like Hernandez or Dzeko but we can't compete with that

Bear in mind Cisse was ill, or he probably would have started. Shola can't really win can he? Saved our arses a few days ago with a quick cameo. He's by no means perfect but look at what the other clubs around us have as back up strikers. Anichebe for Everton, Harry Kane at Spurs? Liverpool? Arsenal? Chelsea? All pretty light up top. We are lucky to have 2 top class strikers, it would be nice to have a back up striker like Hernandez or Dzeko but we can't compete with that

I disagree with the idea that we can't have better backup in the striking department. We had money to spend there which was proved by bids for De Jong and Carroll. We were prepared to pay double-figures for both. As a team building on 5th place with money to spend, there's no excuse for why that shouldn't have been achieved. I know that's a conversation for another thread, really, but it's relevant here.

It's certainly frustrating that we don't have a 4th option upfront, regardless of what other clubs are doing. We threw away Best and Lovenkrands, who weren't special but still experienced players who could score goals. We've replaced that with absolutely nothing.

And i'm not laying into Shola. As i say, i love the guy and i think he's a good player. We know his foibles though and i'm just pointing out his failures tonight. Can you really argue that he didn't waste chances this evening? Like i say, good player but tonight's performance was nowt fresh.

I disagree with the idea that we can't have better backup in the striking department. We had money to spend there which was proved by bids for De Jong and Carroll. We were prepared to pay double-figures for both. As a team building on 5th place with money to spend, there's no excuse for why that shouldn't have been achieved. I know that's a conversation for another thread, really, but it's relevant here.

It's certainly frustrating that we don't have a 4th option upfront, regardless of what other clubs are doing. We threw away Best and Lovenkrands, who weren't special but still experienced players who could score goals. We've replaced that with absolutely nothing.

And i'm not laying into Shola. As i say, i love the guy and i think he's a good player. We know his foibles though and i'm just pointing out his failures tonight. Can you really argue that he didn't waste chances this evening? Like i say, good player but that's nowt fresh.

Ideally we should have kept Best, I'd love De Jong here or Carrol back, but I can't see either of them being happy to sit on the bench at a club of our stature, or we would have to shuffle the squad to accomodate them which could backfire.

I think Shola should have scored, but we was on a tough pitch to be fair and he only learned to cleanly strike a football 2 years ago.

i didn't have any problem with the team Pardew picked tonight.  He went with a strong back 4, Colo was the only one missing,  Shola and Obertan are going to play most if not all the EL games if fit.  We could have maybe took Ba but Cisse was ill, HBA suspended, Tiote injured and that just leaves Cabaye who is still getting back to full fitness and after his slow start from playing in the summer is being eased back to full fitness and after showing some promising signs at Everton would prefer to keep him fresh for Sunday. 

As the group games go on i would just like some rotation and mix and match the senior players players with some of the kids.  Two big games coming up with back to back home games against Bordeaux and Brugge, win both of them and we will be in a strong position, especially as i can't see us not beating Maritimo in the return game.

I must have watched a different match, one where we didn't start seven non-first teamers and bring another two on, the pitch was much better than a cabbage patch and it wasn't significantly hotter and more humid than the UK. 'Utter shit', 'shocking' ffs. :lol: If Shola alone had had his finishing boots on we'd have won that by two or three.

Pardew has openly stated that this competition is third or fourth on the priority list, so why are some treating it as though it's mega important? I wish it was, but it's not. Therefore a point away from home with a shitload of changes is easily acceptable.

That bit is irrelevant IMHO. Pardew should be sending the team out that is best suited to win games, we simply left far too many first team players at home this time. Against the Greek side it was understandable as we had a game on the Saturday, but it's not when the next game is on a Sunday. I'm not saying we should play the entire first team, but changing our entire front 6 is too much. I'm all for developing our fringe players and giving them proper competitive games, that's brilliant, but the right way to do that IMO isn't by throwing them in all together, you need a good mix of fringe and first team players.

I'm not bitterly disappointed with getting a point away against Maritimo, I just think we should have done better. Find it really disappointing how we barely even had a go the last 20 minutes, far too obvious that the attitude was "a point away is good enough" instead of giving us a great position in the group right from the start.

Pretty proud of them tonight tbh. Thought they done very well, second half reminded me of Atmromitos away in the second half. Shola was very unlucky not to score, bigi was great 9some potential this lad has), Amifi was indifferent but hasnt played much.

Gosling for me, I keep waiting for him to impost himself and he has the odd decent 20 minute spell here and there but over 90 minutes he just doesnt do it for me.

Overall, would have loved three points but the team we had out, we done well. Cant play that team against the French.

Considering the team he put out, I guess 0-0 is a good result but we could have won that. So frustrating.

One of the most boring matches I've ever seen too. Hopefully when the injuries clear up we can afford to play some decent players.

Just read through the last couple of pages and fucking hell, seems to be a bit of a reaction for a second string draw against Maritimo. What were people expecting ffs? We have three games in a week. Two premiership, one 1800 miles away. People need to get real.