C.S Marítimo 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 20/09/12 - post-match reaction from pg 31

Disco

I must have watched a different match, one where we didn't play seven non-first teamers, the pitch was much better than a cabbage patch and it wasn't significantly hotter and more humid than the UK. 'Utter s***', 'shocking' ffs. :lol: If Shola alone had had his finishing boots on we'd have won that by two or three.

Pardew has openly stated that this competition is third or fourth on the priority list, so why are some treating it as though it's mega important? I wish it was, but it's not. Therefore a point away from home with a shitload of changes is easily acceptable.

Because all foreign teams you've not heard are automatically s*** you big dafty. English teams RULE IDEMT.

How many portugese league matches did you watch last season?

Enough to know it wouldn't be a walkover with all our top level players not playing.

I fully expect us to win at home though.

Really?  I've watched Maritimo a lot over the last few years, they're piss just like any portugese side outside Benfica, Porto and maybe Braga.  We just drew nil nil with burnley.

One thing people overlook is that these reserve teams tend to be a cobbled together mess that has never played together. It's no surprise they rarely 't look like functioning outfits.

Think we'll tank that lot at home and really should get out of this group.

:thup:

As I said, it's not like we didn't make the chances. Hit the post twice and the bar, only got ourselves to blame for not comfortably winning two more points but I'd much rather create and miss than not create at all.

the home games are going to be key,  win those and we should progress. 

Should have won today, Shola should have scored 3 but played well overall, thought Bigi and Gosling were excellent in the middle of the park and that was probably Goslings best game for us.  Obertan was just Obertan, some decent stuff let down by a terrible final ball on too many occaisions.

Case of job done tonight - disappointed we couldn't get a goal, but a point away from home is better than nout. Really impressed with young Bigiramana, who worked hard and was very neat and tidy. Shola also put in a great shift - disappointments were Obertan (rubbish final ball as always) and Vuckic who just couldn't get into the game.

One thing people overlook is that these reserve teams tend to be a cobbled together mess that has never played together. It's no surprise they rarely 't look like functioning outfits.

Think we'll tank that lot at home and really should get out of this group.

Good point.

Think we'll play stronger teams at home n all due to lack of travel. We'll have too regardless against Bordeaux me thinks, they'll be no mugs.

I must have watched a different match, one where we didn't play seven non-first teamers, the pitch was much better than a cabbage patch and it wasn't significantly hotter and more humid than the UK. 'Utter s***', 'shocking' ffs. :lol: If Shola alone had had his finishing boots on we'd have won that by two or three.

Pardew has openly stated that this competition is third or fourth on the priority list, so why are some treating it as though it's mega important? I wish it was, but it's not. Therefore a point away from home with a shitload of changes is easily acceptable.

Because all foreign teams you've not heard are automatically s*** you big dafty. English teams RULE IDEMT.

Enough to know it wouldn't be a walkover with all our top level players not playing.

Really?  I've watched Maritimo a lot over the last few years, they're piss just like any portugese side outside Benfica, Porto and maybe Braga.  We just drew nil nil with burnley.

Does that make Sporting, who got to the Europa league semi final last year, the equivalent of someone like Cardiff? Righto

That's not a bad result but it all seems a bit pointless because we'll do nothing in the competition playing with the reserves. That's entirely down to the shite transfer window.

I'll feel a bit more enthusiastic about it if we manage to get out of the group and invest in January. If not, my gut instinct is that we'll be dispatched early in the knockout rounds by the first good team we face.

As of right now, it wasn't a bad performance and some players should be fairly pleased with themselves. Bigirimana and Elliot, in-particular, were plus points for us. I was impressed with Amalfitano and Vuckic in the first half too. Shola did alright n'all but he's never been suited to playing up top on his own. After that, we missed our big chances and then ran out of steam. Taking home a point was never in doubt once we made it past the first ten minutes.

Meh. It appears we don't have the squad to make any sort of attempt at this competition, and i'm quite gutted about that. See what happens in January i guess.

Draw away from home in Europe is always a decent result in my book. We could and probably should have won it, however we had a few scares of our own.

Pleased with Rob Elliot, hopefully he can kick on and try and push Harper quite hard for the #2 spot. Bigi was class again, has looked brilliant every time I've seen him, still can't quite believe he's only 18!

Sammy, while looking rusty, still did more in his time than Vuckic, which was disappointing. Still we must be patient I feel, he is young still and has time. Marveaux looked very tidy when he came on, really can't judge him from the Everton game, he was up against a beast in Baines, very hard to defend against.

Which brings me on to our centre half pairing tonight, Taylor and Williamson. I'm going to be critical here because I felt the pair looked very shaky. One moment in particular sticks out in my head where in the first half, a simple ball down the middle split them both and caused us all sorts of trouble. Not good enough. Williamson's aimless punts up field are really starting to irk me, it's just giving the ball away which is unnecessary and invites pressure which can be so easily avoided.

Anyway, hopefully we can see some of youth/fringe players develop well in this competition, because a lot of them do look decent. Special mention to Shola btw, who played his role really well and was unlucky not to score.

I'll feel a bit more enthusiastic about it if we manage to get out of the group and invest in January. If not, my gut instinct is that we'll be dispatched early in the knockout rounds by the first good team we face.

This'll probably happen regardless of a transfer window & strength of team we put out unfortunately.

Pardew: 'The performance of the team was outstanding on a poor pitch. It was great application from the players.'

Completely fair comment. For the team we put out it was an admirable performance and we should have won really. Great experience for some younger lads but i'd hoped there'd be more to the competition than that.

Does it matter if we finish 1st or 2nd in this?

"In the draw for the round of 32, the twelve group winners and the four third-placed teams from the Champions League group stage with the better group records will be seeded, and the twelve group runners-up and the other four third-placed teams from the Champions League group stage will be unseeded. The seeded teams will be drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same group or the same association cannot be drawn against each other. In the draws for the round of 16 onwards, there will be no seedings, and teams from the same group or the same association can be drawn with each other." - wiki.

That's not a bad result but it all seems a bit pointless because we'll do nothing in the competition playing with the reserves. That's entirely down to the s**** transfer window.

How's that? People wanted a back up striker and Shola was our best player tonight along with Bigi signed this transfer window. We kept a clean sheet with a backup defence pretty much.

Why is there only white and black opinions regarding the line-up and whether we're taking the competition seriously. We're clearly balancing the line-ups based on the opposition, the proximity of other fixtures and the amount of travel being undergone.

If we balance this well and get out of the group then I couldn't care less what kind of side we're playing. When Fulham got to the final I remember them playing guff sides in the group stages, obviously they weren't still doing that once Juve came around in the last 16.

Really?  I've watched Maritimo a lot over the last few years, they're p*ss just like any portugese side outside Benfica, Porto and maybe Braga.  We just drew nil nil with burnley.

Does that make Sporting, who got to the Europa league semi final last year, the equivalent of someone like Cardiff? Righto

Aye, Warsaw, Vaslui, Metalist and Zurich were really tough games.  Canny result against City though.

That's not a bad result but it all seems a bit pointless because we'll do nothing in the competition playing with the reserves. That's entirely down to the s**** transfer window.

How's that? People wanted a back up striker and Shola was our best player tonight along with Bigi signed this transfer window. We kept a clean sheet with a backup defence pretty much.

Ameobi simply can't score. We knew that years ago. He's not good enough to start games in any competition we play in.