C.S Marítimo 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 20/09/12 - post-match reaction from pg 31

Disco

I think AP's comments about us not taking this seriously are deisgned to take the pressure of the "development" players in the team.

I am pretty sure he is looking to give these players the chance to develop away from home, bringing in more expereinced players if required at home.

Lets say we get though the group phase and in the 1/4 final - you think he wont field our strongest team then given the chance?  Of course he will.  Silverware is important and IMO at the moment, I dont care which cup it is.

i presume AP and the staff have calculated on how many points we need to be no 1 & 2. Our aim must be to advance from the group and hopefully we can do this by playing as many youngsters and squad players as possible.

If we need to win, lets say, the last 2 matches, then i really hope AP will field a strong enough team to succeed.

We should take this competition seriously and try and win.

Based on Pardews quotes we are going to be fielding a much stronger team at home. Its been mentioned already but provided we get 4 points off each team we'll be fine. We're on course for that after 1 away game so all good for me.

Got really high hopes for Bigi, can't really believe he is only 18. He's definately our most promising youth development. I can't help but feel Vuckic is never going to make it. He picks up too many injuries and i've not been too impressed by what i've seen of him when he's not been. I think we should be giving Abied much more game time in these sorts of games.

Considering how many 'first teamers' he rested it's fantastic management really. It just a shame we don't have another centre back so we could have rested Taylor too.

Now we can go into sunday with what's available, with a much better chance.

Chances are we won't win at old trafford but we must do the same again there.

Great experiance for Bigi, playing at old trafford and in europe.

Considering how many 'first teamers' he rested it's fantastic management really. It just a shame we don't have another centre back so we could have rested Taylor too.

Totally agree. People seem to forget we played on Monday too. Three games in six day, you just cant play your first team. I'm spurised Taylor played to be honest but I suspect he took it easy as he could. I think in future games when its a Sunday/Thursday we'll see a slightly stronger team. Keep in mind Anita and Cisse were due to play last night too.

HBA back from suspension, Tiote and Colo nearly back too. I dont think we'll such a weak first 11 again.

Guest Roger Kint

Totally agree with STM & EM above and also Dave and Sewelly earlier. Lot of shite in between though, better finishing and a bit of luck last night and that could(should) have been a very comfortable win. Either way Pardew picked a strong enough team for the match imo.

Also he has said that we had the weakest team we will see out last night so all this not trying crap is a bit OTT

hoped we could have rested santon and taylor or perch or willo also for fergu and tav.

Solid point away from home (could have won), with the stiffs playing. Good result. Extra-days rest for the first XI (except Santon and Saylor). Added bonus of not having any first team players injured. Far and away the most sensible approach Pards could have taken IMO. Imagine the misery on here if we'd have gone with a couple of first team player's and someone like Cabaye or Cisse got injured. If its a case of 1 point at Maritimo and 3 at home against Norwich then its a good job all round (something of a false dichotomy I know).

As fans its always frustrating to watch 0-0 draws, but at this stage of the competition its really not the end of the world. Also some young talented players got some match experience.

As an aside I would really like to see us target the domestic cups this year. We are good enough to beat any team out there. If we can put in good performances I think we have a decent chance. Certainly should be aiming for last 4-8 in both (I accept its draw dependant to a certain degree).

Very decent performance and result all things considered. We lacked a bit up front but then when you don't have Cisse, Ba or Ben Arfa that's hardly a surprise. The performances in midfield and defence made up for it though. Well organised, resolute and pretty tidy on the ball for such an inexperienced side. Maritimo were no mugs either, they didn't give the ball up in a hurry. Well pleased with that.

Taylor was guilty of a bit of ball watching yesterday, hopefully like said was taking it easy.

The whole back 4 seemed a bit out of position and lazy at times I thought, barring maybe Santon.  They were solid enough though.  There were two occassions where I thought Taylor was miles away from his man.  One for a shot second half and another when the guy failed to connect with a cross first half.

Someone mentioned on here a week or so ago that he seems to be standing off and hasn't been as impressive as the start of last season.  Tend to agree TBH.

They had a couple of decent balls in from the their left. Thought Perch should have done better their. They seemed to catch our CBs at 6s & 7s too.

Another thing, sometimes you'd see Bigi press the ball a bit higher up and Gosling (who i don't dislike) was just ball watching leaving about half an acre behind him. He didn't seem to have good enough positional sense to play one of two in the midfield.

I don't know if Kaizero's post about squad rotation, etc, are in response to my complaints, but if they are - people haven't actually read what i've said.

Mostly in response to that loki dude, you're well kosher, man.

Yeah, when i'd sobered up the next day and thought about it I realised it wasnt such a bad result.  I think it was just the disappointment of not winning such a winnable game that pissed me off more than anything.