C.S Marítimo 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 20/09/12 - post-match reaction from pg 31

Disco

Bigi was really impressive for such a young kid. Exciting future for him, the same has been said of a few of our others that aren't progressing much any longer mind so I'm not going to proclaim him as the new Tiote just yet. But yeah, very good tonight.

Also think Elliot was excellent. Made one small mistake all night and some very tidy saves.

Just glad we're focusing on the league so we might be able to get a place in europe and be uncompetitive again next year.

A point away in the group stages is more than enough. If our fringe players can do that it's fully understandable that there's some shuffling amongst players. All teams do it. Really don't get that attitude unless we start doing it in the late knock-out stages and the likes.

Wait until Man Utd next week.

The League Cup :yao:

At work; couldn't watch. Were we HORRIBLE horrible, just horrible, meh, or good enough?

If we'd scored people would be very satisfied with the performance given who was playing. Missing those chances makes it a bit meh.

Just glad we're focusing on the league so we might be able to get a place in europe and be uncompetitive again next year.

A point away in the group stages is more than enough. If our fringe players can do that it's fully understandable that there's some shuffling amongst players. All teams do it. Really don't get that attitude unless we start doing it in the late knock-out stages and the likes.

Wait until Man Utd next week.

The League Cup :yao:

1969 :yao:

Elliot 8.5  Great performance by the Dilsh

Perch 7 Not a right back for me. Didn't get forward much if at all

Willo 6.5 Average, nearly cost us a goal once or twice

Saylor 7

Santon 7.5 Pick of the defenders for me

Obertan 6.5 Sure, final delivery mediocre but continually got past his man to deliver a ball into the box. Don't think our attacking players ever really got into good positions

Bigi 8 Great game, particularly in the first half

Gosling 7 Not too bad tonight, certainly seems to do quite a bit of running

Amalfitano 5.5 poor for me

Vuckic 6.5 Some good touches, including the one to Gosling for his chance. Just sooo frustrating to see him come off the pitch injured again

Shola 7 Decent hold up play but should have finished at least one of his chances. Doesn't take very good positions on crosses and was out of the game after 65 minutes

Sammy 6 Seems to have a similar "footballer IQ" to Obertan

I must have watched a different match, one where we didn't start seven non-first teamers and bring another two on, the pitch was much better than a cabbage patch and it wasn't significantly hotter and more humid than the UK. 'Utter shit', 'shocking' ffs. :lol: If Shola alone had had his finishing boots on we'd have won that by two or three.

Pardew has openly stated that this competition is third or fourth on the priority list, so why are some treating it as though it's mega important? I wish it was, but it's not. Therefore a point away from home with a shitload of changes is easily acceptable.

I must have watched a different match, one where we didn't play seven non-first teamers, the pitch was much better than a cabbage patch and it wasn't significantly hotter and more humid than the UK. 'Utter shit', 'shocking' ffs. :lol: If Shola alone had had his finishing boots on we'd have won that by two or three.

Pardew has openly stated that this competition is third or fourth on the priority list, so why are some treating it as though it's mega important? I wish it was, but it's not. Therefore a point away from home with a shitload of changes is easily acceptable.

I must have watched a different match, one where we didn't play seven non-first teamers, the pitch was much better than a cabbage patch and it wasn't significantly hotter and more humid than the UK. 'Utter shit', 'shocking' ffs. :lol: If Shola alone had had his finishing boots on we'd have won that by two or three.

Aye. Wasn't as bad as people are making out.

Because all foreign teams you've not heard are automatically shit you big dafty. English teams RULE IDEMT.

I must have watched a different match, one where we didn't play seven non-first teamers, the pitch was much better than a cabbage patch and it wasn't significantly hotter and more humid than the UK. 'Utter s***', 'shocking' ffs. :lol: If Shola alone had had his finishing boots on we'd have won that by two or three.

Because all foreign teams you've not heard are automatically s*** you big dafty. English teams RULE IDEMT.

How many portugese league matches did you watch last season?

I must have watched a different match, one where we didn't play seven non-first teamers, the pitch was much better than a cabbage patch and it wasn't significantly hotter and more humid than the UK. 'Utter s***', 'shocking' ffs. :lol: If Shola alone had had his finishing boots on we'd have won that by two or three.

This. We weren't shocking, we had our b team out on a terrible pitch and I think they were unfortunate not to win. Shocking was how our first team played first half against everton, this is not bad, and think shows sign our younger players are starting to bond a bit as a team compared to when seen them earlier. THat said our final third was awful and do need to work on that.

Because all foreign teams you've not heard are automatically s*** you big dafty. English teams RULE IDEMT.

How many portugese league matches did you watch last season?

Enough to know it wouldn't be a walkover with all our top level players not playing.

I fully expect us to win at home though.

Frustrating that we worked our arses off to get into this competition and seem willing to basically throw it though.  Not necessarily having a go at the management, more the lack of activity in the summer really.  Btw I didn't see much of the game, didn't get back from work until about half 7.

One thing people overlook is that these reserve teams tend to be a cobbled together mess that has never played together. It's no surprise they rarely 't look like functioning outfits.

Think we'll tank that lot at home and really should get out of this group.

Maybe because to some of us it is important, Dave.

You're going to be very disappointed then.

Maybe because to some of us it is important, Dave.

You're going to be very disappointed then.

Been a newcastle fan for thirty years, i'm used to that, doesn't change anything.

Elliot 7 - Some fine saves.

Perch 5.5 - Poor, though he was probably fucking knackered from Monday.

Williamson 6 - Dodgy at times but mostly solid.

Taylor 6.5 - Assured.

Santon 7 - Gave us options going forward and defended well.

Obertan 5 - His first touch is always exquisite, its everything afterwards that is the problem.

Bigirimana 7.5 - Allowed them a little too much space early, but was clearly our best player by the end of the contest. Class.

Gosling 6.5 - Unlucky not to score, worked hard in midfield.

Vuckic 5 - Offered little before coming off.

Amalfitano 6 - Offered good delivery and looked composed on the ball.

Shola 7 - Mark would be higher but I'm quite irritated with him for not fucking scoring.

Sammy 5 - Sorry but I don't rate him at all. Really poor on the ball and no better than Obertan from wide areas.

Ferguson 5

Marveaux 6 - A higher mark just for that delicious ball to Sammy late on.