C.S Marítimo 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 20/09/12 - post-match reaction from pg 31

Disco

Pardew has done a complete 180 in this competition compared to the teams he's fielded in domestic cups against lesser opposition.  We've fielded strong and unmotivated teams at Brighton and Stevenage and paid the price.  It will be interesting to see if this is him learning a lesson or just not giving a shit about a competition we tried so hard to qualify for.

Thought Bigi was our best player tonight some great tackles, intelligent positioning and a great range of passing. Elliott I was unsure of before the match but he did pretty well. Shola a mixed bag but very unlucky not to score with a fantastic turn and shot which hit the bar.

Yes we struggle to fit two excellent strikers in Ba and Cisse into our starting XI not sure how we would accommodate De Jong or Carroll as well. As much as I'd love us to sign them they are not a priority for me.

I'd much prefer to spend the money on a hoillett type of player for forward left in a 433

As much as I really like Ba as a player and he would definately be in my starting XI doesn't change the fact he will only have 1 year left on his contract at the end of this season plus that buyout clause hanging over him. This may make Cisse the preffered striker if Push comes to shove. Personally though Ba would be second on my team sheet after HBA

Still not overly impressed by Gosling.

Me neither, but I thought this was his best game for us in terms of having a bit of control in the midfield. I guess having Bigi next to him helped. Gosling was a bit more on top of things this time around, and he still makes those excellent late runs into the box.

Thought it was gonna be dog s**** and we'd get walloped, actually we played decent and we should have won. Happy with a point.

Aye, quite pleased with the point, could easily have won it - enjoyed seeing some of the fringe players in action, Bigi in particular looks a star in the making.

Beginning to wonder what the excitement was about getting into Europe. Trips to the continent to watch our reserves. Only amusement might be the 7,000 or so fans partying in Bruges city centre whilst 1,400 are at the game watching Gosling and Obertan, try to impersonate footballers.

Beginning to wonder what the excitement was about getting into Europe. Trips to the continent to watch our reserves. Only amusement might be the 7,000 or so fans partying in Bruges city centre whilst 1,400 are at the game watching Gosling and Obertan, try to impersonate footballers.

The idea is when you get to the knockouts, teams stop playing reserves and there's more prestige and money involved - also the away trips for fans tend to have a bit more glamour about them. Also, more exposure for the club generally. That's my view, anyway.

I'm quite enjoying the group though. Maybe I'm just easier to please. :lol:

The idea is when you get to the knockouts, teams stop playing reserves and there's more prestige and money involved - also the away trips for fans tend to have a bit more glamour about them. Also, more exposure for the club generally. That's my view, anyway.

I'm quite enjoying the group though. Maybe I'm just easier to please. :lol:

Nope, some people are just miserable fuckers.

Pardew has done a complete 180 in this competition compared to the teams he's fielded in domestic cups against lesser opposition.  We've fielded strong and unmotivated teams at Brighton and Stevenage and paid the price.  It will be interesting to see if this is him learning a lesson or just not giving a s*** about a competition we tried so hard to qualify for.

But we didn't try so hard to qualify for it. We were trying for the champions league. We didn't make it and got this instead. I'll be surprised to see us a field a strong team before the knock out stages (if we squeeze through).

I'm absolutely fine with playing reserves and kids in away games like this. We should have enough quality to get past this group and Pardew surely will play a lot stronger team in the knockout rounds.

We´ll definitely see a stronger team out against the better teams in the group. I thought Pardew sent out a good team all things considered. The result wasn´t too shabby either.

A weakened team against the worst team in the group is hardly a shocking decision our schedule considered. Baffled that someone is thinking this is Pardew throwing away the cup.

Good game I thought, Elliott kept us in it with some decent saves and we could have won it with better finishing.

Bigiraman and Gosling did very well in the middle of the park, back 4 solid, wingers disappointing and Vuckic again flatters to deceive.

As decent as Shola was I think Ba and Cisse would have buried the chances he had.

must be remembered as journeys go for us in the group stage this was by some distance the longest which probably had the most bearing on the squad selection for it, pards post match was saying how the travel can have an effect on energy levels etc, the other 2 away games might see stronger squads

I thought Vuckic did quite well, he was nice and tidy and rarely lost the ball, don't understand the disappointment with him here on his performance, the only disappointment is that he got injured again.

Bigi was MOTM for me, great performance from the kid, Santon was good too but once again lacking in the final third. Elliot is better than i thought.

Disappointing things were Obertan's end product. Amalfitano looked average, and Williamson was shaky, thought their team was awful and we should've won that one, but i'll take the draw.

It worked tonight and as it progresses would like to see more of a mix of first-team and certain youngsters. Think it can help them more sometimes to play alongside the more experienced heads. Kind of like the idea of Bigi getting games alongside Cabaye etc, get used to playing with the better players.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/592/my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

Honestly don't get why most people on here seem to expect us to put out a first choice 11 for every. single. game. we play in any competition. Fuck that shit. At home we'll likely see some of our better players in the starting eleven. Away our fringe players will most likely feature a lot more. It doesn't mean we don't take the competition seriously. It just means we're rotating players because we have a fuckton of games. We have too few fringe players of decent quality, sure, but it doesn't mean we should push the likes of Demba Ba into every fucking match. These "shit" players drew away, and with some luck could've won quite comfortably. I'm not worried. Luck was not on our side today, so be it. A point away is still good in this competition. If this was the last 16 and we'd be facing Atletico Madrid or something, I highly doubt we'd not take it seriously and field the best side possible. Team selection is about the level of opposition as well, and as I just mentioned, with some luck the team put out today should've won.

Liverpool switched their entire first XI from their last match FFS. Squad rotation. It's what football teams do when they have a lot of games over a short period of time. That's why teams don't just have 11 players. Fuck this shit.  :joey: