Newcastle Utd 0 - 3 Man Utd - 07/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 38

Beren

I find it hilarious that people on here are suggesting our performance was decent 'minus the first 20 minutes'. Man Utd dominated the first 20 minutes and could have scored 4-5 goals. They were 2-0 up and decided to sit back and defend. That's why we were able to get hold of the ball and pass it around. They had a two goal lead and had no reason to take chances. Their win was comfortable and deserved.

Terrible opening 15 minutes, then I thought we were alright tbh.

Already seen a fair few OTT reactions in here. At the end of the day, we knew we didn't have the same strength of depth as them - so missing Saylor/Colo/Krul at the back fucked us up a lot more than their absentees.

Obviously our opening tactics/attitude was poor as usual. I noted that during the game that Gary Neville praised our media darling manager Alan Pardew for changing things up to get a foothold in the game. Of course, what Gary didn't know is that he's had to do this a number of times before. An effective tactical change isn't quite as laudable if you knew from the outset that what you were doing initially was wrong.

In terms of ratings, I won't bother, but I thought Jonas, HBA and Shane were our best players by quite some way.

Webb was a cockend. The immunity granted to Rooney is just unreal. Can't argue with many of the shit decisions though, we've had our fair share this season. Of course it had to be Man Utd who it happened us again. While decisions seem to even themselves out (more or less for most clubs), Man Utd always seem to be the ultimate benefactor :laugh:

In these games, I can't always help but look at our best players grow gradually dispirited by how the game progresses and how their teammates don't quite measure up. It stings as a fan, because these are the types of games which, I imagine, would gradually edge them towards the day. Especially where it's so eminently obvious that we needed convincing cover centre-backs at the club.

If we had a CB who could organise a defence on set-pieces how things might have turned out. We didn't have our shooting boots on either though, so maybe not that different.

Can't wait until Krul is back either. Harper has built up a good portfolio of moments in these past few games, but reality has caught up with the guy.

Not too down though, we played some okay stuff in parts. The Mackem games in two (galling) weeks is now pretty big. Think whoever wins that could kickstart their respective season. A draw would be shite quite frankly - consigning us both to midtable mediocrity. Even this early in the season, the gap between us and Everton/WBA/that ilk can't afford to grow any more IMO.

Showed some spirit but once again it highlights that we had a very poor summer transfer window, when at least one class centre-half should have been sourced. On this season so far, mid-table beckons - just hope we have a good go at the Europa League and the FA Cup.

The game was over as soon as Cisse missed that header; the third goal was irrelevant. We needed a goal either side of half-time and when that didn't come, it was standard practise for Manu.

Completely shot ourselves in the foot at the start of the game and it was essentially game over after 15 minutes. Seriously frustrating because we made it totally easy for one of the best teams in the world - on our own patch too.

It's an easy excuse but we'd have made a better game of it had we had our first choice defence/signed some defenders in the summer. It was their fault we were 2-0 down before the game had even started. We made a decent fight of it for an hour, but Manu are always gonna do well at defending a lead in a big game, and to be fair to them they were excellent.

That, combined with an excellent victory and performance in midweek, could've been the catalyst to get our season going. We're gonna have to rely on the Mackems instead. If we don't play well against them i'll start to get pretty worried.

Pard8 won't commit to a 433. In effect the team are playing 2/3 systems nearly every game. Also don't like seeing Hatem on the left so much seems to detract from his game too much.

3-0 is such a misleading headline. Didn't think we played too badly after we switched away from 4-4-2 but our finishing and our marking from set plays was very poor. Hard to create too much as Manchester clearly sat back a bit after their second and there wasn't a lot of space to play in.

Harper 3.5 Think he could have done better for the first and just atrocious all round today

Santon 6 OK, hope he continues to play there

Willo 4.5 At fault for the first, get rid please.

Perch 6 ok

Fergie 5 Mediocre, are willing to give Fergie time to grow into the role? I was crying out for us to sign a LB in the transfer window and Fergie is a little raw at LB

HBA 6 Really key in getting us going in the first half. Was poor in the second

Tiote 5.5 Hothead, poor in possession

Cabaye 6 Ok, game was a bit too fast paced for him today.

Jonas 8 MOTM for me, played in 3 different positions and did well in all. Could see he was trying to organise our defence from set plays which should never be his role.

Cisse 5.5 So close to scoring (I don't think it was in) Did better on the right than i honestly thought he would.

Ba 5.5 Poor finishing today. Should have got more on target

I find it hilarious that people on here are suggesting our performance was decent 'minus the first 20 minutes'. Man Utd dominated the first 20 minutes and could have scored 4-5 goals. They were 2-0 up and decided to sit back and defend. That's why we were able to get hold of the ball and pass it around. They had a two goal lead and had no reason to take chances. Their win was comfortable and deserved.

i agree. 

I really don't think Man Utd started to pull back after 2-0, if they had that much control of the game why sit back when they could've scored more? The switch to three in the midfield changed things, we were just in too deep a hole.

3-0 is such a misleading headline.

bollocks

It's not really, we had quite a few chances that could have gone in on another day..... meanwhile they hardly created anything from open play we didn't defend set pieces good enough and that's why we lost but i don't remember them all over us creating chance after chance.

I really don't think Man Utd started to pull back after 2-0, if they had that much control of the game why sit back when they could've scored more? The switch to three in the midfield changed things, we were just in too deep a hole.

Agree with that. Remember when they hit us for 6 some years back. They would have done so today as well - especially with the likes of Rooney looking for goals.

Goals change games, but I too wouldn't chalk up our post-15 minutes spell to "Man Utd sitting on their lead". They're not that type of team, they don't like us that much (:lol:) and they weren't nearly comfortable enough (having "let us" back into the game) for that to be their tactics for the remainder of the game. IMO.

Disgrace, shambles, pathetic, embarrassment etc etc.

We looked slow, disinterested and unmotivated almost everywhere on the pitch.  So a few refereeing decisions didn't go our way - doesn't matter as we've been jammy as fuck so far this season with them and they are not what lost us the match.  We lost it from the first minute with our attitude, horrible tactics and poor individual errors.

Harper and Williamson utter liabilities.

Big improvement needed, would be nice if next match we could look like a team who've actually played together in their entire lives.

Harper - 4. Shocking for an experienced keeper. Judgment was just off.

Santon - 6. Not bad at all, seemed more potent being at the right.

Williamson - 5. First goal. Nuff said.

Perch - 6. Brave tackling, decent performance, cannot be faulted.

Ferguson - 5. Not the best, but with all the hype and games lately, no blame really.

Ben Arfa - 6. Tried but was effectively shackled by Carrick and co. Still our most creative spark.

Tiote - 4. Careless, sloppy, hotheaded, rash.

Cabaye - 6. Finally coming into some decent form and fitness. Threw himself about everywhere, distribution apart from set pieces were okay.

Jonas - 7. MotM. Captain's performance. Was the only one running in the last 10 minutes.

Cisse - 5. Invisible. Was not too shabby in tracking back though. Decent instinct to get his head on the "goal".

Ba - 5. Same as Cisse. With his form you'd expect him to hit the target at least once.

Subs

Ameobi - 5. Teammates lost the drive by the time he came on. I wish that we actually hoofed it more to him as our passing just looked labored at the end.

Anita - 5. Unremarkable.

Bigirimana - 5. Same as Anita.

Pards - 6. Adventurous line-up. Knew that with our defensive problems that we had to bring out the best attack possible. Would've given him a 5 for his reluctance to change it to 4-3-3 and the lack of motivation among the team today. I'll give him a 6 though for bringing in the subs early for once.

Disgrace, shambles, pathetic, embarrassment etc etc.

We looked slow, disinterested and unmotivated almost everywhere on the pitch.  So a few refereeing decisions didn't go our way - doesn't matter as we've been jammy as fuck so far this season with them and they are not what lost us the match.  We lost it from the first minute with our attitude, horrible tactics and poor individual errors.

Harper and Williamson utter liabilities.

Big improvement needed, would be nice if next match we could look like a team who've actually played together in their entire lives.

Harsh considering that they weren't directly at fault for any of the goals. (imo corner defending relies on team effort)

Might have been mentioned, but personally I thought Anita should have gone to one of the full back positions and Jonas stayed in the middle.

I hope we aren't trying to keep Anita happy by playing him CM when the team needs to come first

Guest bimpy474

My worry all season has been our lack of chances, clear cut ones anyway. We just aren't creating decent ones for our strikers.

Might have been mentioned, but personally I thought Anita should have gone to one of the full back positions and Jonas stayed in the middle.

I hope we aren't trying to keep Anita happy by playing him CM when the team needs to come first

Aye, the most solid could've been

Anita Perch Williamson Santon

then Fergie impact sub.