sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 21/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

I didn't realise Taylor was winding up their fans although it is not a surprise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2221395/Sunderland-v-Newcastle-verdict--Colin-Young.html

The chants aimed at Steven Taylor by Sunderland fans – which depressingly increased in volume despite its sickening message – were really shocking.

After the events at Hillsborough, supporters behaviour was under scrutiny at the Stadium of Light but some people seem to relish in that.

Taylor didn't do himself many favours here. He may have been talking like a fan in the build-up, and it was possible to offer some restraint in covering the sometimes crude message that he doesn't like Sunderland very much. But he still did it. And he did say he wasn’t bothered what fans sang at him.

His warm-up was deliberately provocative and unnecessarily so.

The pre-match stretches and kickabouts should be used as vital preparation, not a means of territory marking and Taylor and Newcastle could have handled that better.

He didn't need to stand so close to the away fans, the mock orchestrating was silly in the extreme, and as for the laying down of his tracksuit top on the ground. Well, you'd imagine his manager has had words.

It probably wouldn't have stopped the vile chants, which returned when he replaced Fabricio Coloccini, but at least he could say he was completely innocent.

Pardew reflected that with his rock steady captain at the helm, Sunderland probably wouldn't have scored their equaliser. It came from sort of pot luck cross which had typified Sunderland all game, and which Coloccini had been attracted to like a moth to light. Taylor wasn’t blamed but he was his replacement.

So when Newcastle won a corner in injury-time, Taylor sprinted forward. He was bouncing round the penalty area as Yohan Cabaye placed the ball on the turf and you just knew he wanted to score. His adrenalin was already pumped in anticipation. You could see him imagining where the French magician would float his cross, seeking the space to bludgeon the ball past Simon Mignolet.

That's the Steven Taylor I like personally, the willing, over-eager and passionate if occasionally misguided footballer who wants his team, his Newcastle, to win. And even better if he plays his part in it.

I just dread to think what would have happened if he had scored.

I didn't realise Taylor was winding up their fans although it is not a surprise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2221395/Sunderland-v-Newcastle-verdict--Colin-Young.html

The chants aimed at Steven Taylor by Sunderland fans – which depressingly increased in volume despite its sickening message – were really shocking.

After the events at Hillsborough, supporters behaviour was under scrutiny at the Stadium of Light but some people seem to relish in that.

Taylor didn't do himself many favours here. He may have been talking like a fan in the build-up, and it was possible to offer some restraint in covering the sometimes crude message that he doesn't like Sunderland very much. But he still did it. And he did say he wasn’t bothered what fans sang at him.

His warm-up was deliberately provocative and unnecessarily so.

The pre-match stretches and kickabouts should be used as vital preparation, not a means of territory marking and Taylor and Newcastle could have handled that better.

He didn't need to stand so close to the away fans, the mock orchestrating was silly in the extreme, and as for the laying down of his tracksuit top on the ground. Well, you'd imagine his manager has had words.

It probably wouldn't have stopped the vile chants, which returned when he replaced Fabricio Coloccini, but at least he could say he was completely innocent.

Pardew reflected that with his rock steady captain at the helm, Sunderland probably wouldn't have scored their equaliser. It came from sort of pot luck cross which had typified Sunderland all game, and which Coloccini had been attracted to like a moth to light. Taylor wasn’t blamed but he was his replacement.

So when Newcastle won a corner in injury-time, Taylor sprinted forward. He was bouncing round the penalty area as Yohan Cabaye placed the ball on the turf and you just knew he wanted to score. His adrenalin was already pumped in anticipation. You could see him imagining where the French magician would float his cross, seeking the space to bludgeon the ball past Simon Mignolet.

That's the Steven Taylor I like personally, the willing, over-eager and passionate if occasionally misguided footballer who wants his team, his Newcastle, to win. And even better if he plays his part in it.

I just dread to think what would have happened if he had scored.[/i]

Dunno, but I bet it would have been something none of us would ever forget  :D

and as for the laying down of his tracksuit top on the ground. Well, you'd imagine his manager has had words.

Can someone shed light on this? I imagine it's immature/stupid, but I can't help picturing him stretching on it so he doesn't touch the turf and this ensues: :lol:

It's a case of timing.

From a referee perspective you don't want to get your cards out too early (unless you absolutely have to) because then you have nowhere else to go.  Once you have gone to the cards, you don't really have the no option to manage the game by talking to the players.  So referees want to talk first and then move up to cards if that fails.

At the time in the game of the "Foot to chest" there had not really been much for the referee to deal with.  So he elected to keep his cards in his pocket and talk to the player. He would keep the cards for any escalation in incidents.

Unfortunately, Tiote saw red with being held back, and then saw Red for the late tackle on Fletcher.  Definately a card - just a decision of which color.

And I think that reputation tilted the decision to Red.

At this point the next violent tackle really will come under scrutiny, however there was nothing else really close to either the Larson or Tiote challenges. And so the remaining cards all went for niggling fouls and dissent as the referee wants to keep a lid on emotions/actions. (I thought he missed a foul and a card for the challenge in the back of Ba by Cuellar but seeing as he saw no foul, there was no card).

It's a shame that these events in the game unfolded where they did - a change in order would have had very different reaction from the referee.

New Super HD photo from the match in thunderland yesterday...

http://sportsbyte.sunderland.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/normal_nufc_v_safc.jpg

9-1. FTM!?

No wonder we lost 9-1, the guy in the bottom right is quite clearly not a footballer.

Guest WashyGeordie

What was the Obrien song all about? Was it just the normal Liam, Andy etc etc? Just gathering my thoughts from yesterday, went to be at 8pm and slept through til 10am!

It was just the song but we did it constantly for ages, proper bouncing and banging on metal at the back. Stopped a few times, but just got going again after complaining at ref or whatever. Was proper knackering, it was so fast.

" 5under1and away 21/10/12 " on everyone's favourite video hosting website. :)

What was the Obrien song all about? Was it just the normal Liam, Andy etc etc? Just gathering my thoughts from yesterday, went to be at 8pm and slept through til 10am!

It was just the song but we did it constantly for ages, proper bouncing and banging on metal at the back. Stopped a few times, but just got going again after complaining at ref or whatever. Was proper knackering, it was so fast.

:thup:

canny, although doesnt do it justice cos you cant hear the banging on the back wall...and its not shaking :lol:

Sang too fast though.

Guest WashyGeordie

Sang too fast though.

Anar, it always is that song though.

Made the point yesterday and have seen others say similar - if a mackem had done that to one of our lot would you have been screaming for a red card?

I would and I'd have been pissed off if it wasn't given.  Before anyone mentions Larsson, I did not see that incident.

http://cdn.fourfourtwo.com/contentimages/interviews/Wenger1.jpg

The general consensus at my work is that Tiote's red card was deserved :undecided:

Do you work in Mike Baldwins knicker factory?

They're arguing that if Fletcher's leg was on the ground then it's a leg breaker.

Guest Slippery Sam

The general consensus at my work is that Tiote's red card was deserved :undecided:

Do you work in Mike Baldwins knicker factory?

They're arguing that if Fletcher's leg was on the ground then it's a leg breaker.

If Fletcher's leg had been on the ground then contact would not have been made.  Fletcher kicked the ball away a nano-second before Tiote's boot came through. Fletcher's swinging leg made contact with Tiote's boot. As I said before, I can see why the ref gave the red card but I don't agree with it.

The referee gave us fuck-all all game like, really added to the pressure on us in a way Sunderland's play couldn't.  The ref's performance seemed legitimately biased.

Pretty unbelievable that the home side got no yellow cards while we got 4 of them and a red as well, I thought they were just as dirty as us and certainly more persistent.