sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 21/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

I think when you view the Tiote incident in isolation, it's touch and go.  If it was Cattermole on Cabaye, we'd be complaining it wasn't a red.  I think it's a yellow, definitely.

But if Tiote's is a red then the kick on Ameobi is a a minimum yellow, if not red, as has been said on here.

Hopefully the intensity with which we played in the first half pre-red card can be carried into our next games.  We'll need it against West Brom.

Honestly, it's days like this when you see pundit after pundit and ex-player after ex-player call it a red that I wonder what the fuck is going on in football. Red cards are for dangerous play not trying to kick a football and not even knowing where the opposition player is, I'm not going to stop being pissed off about that decision and many others today for some time.

think this is a valid point- fletcher came in so fast from out of tiotes view- theres every chance of a poor mis-timed attempt at the ball catching him.

Well, it looked to me like Tiote deliberately kicked him. He gets these rushes of the blood to the head most games, and refs may now be looking out for it.

Honestly, it's days like this when you see pundit after pundit and ex-player after ex-player call it a red that I wonder what the f*** is going on in football. Red cards are for dangerous play not trying to kick a football and not even knowing where the opposition player is, I'm not going to stop being p*ssed off about that decision and many others today for some time.

think this is a valid point- fletcher came in so fast from out of tiotes view- theres every chance of a poor mis-timed attempt at the ball catching him.

Well, it looked to me like Tiote deliberately kicked him. He gets these rushes of the blood to the head most games, and refs may now be looking out for it.

Not a chance. Watch the replays.

I think when you view the Tiote incident in isolation, it's touch and go.  If it was Cattermole on Cabaye, we'd be complaining it wasn't a red.  I think it's a yellow, definitely.

But if Tiote's is a red then the kick on Ameobi is a a minimum yellow, if not red, as has been said on here.

Hopefully the intensity with which we played in the first half pre-red card can be carried into our next games.  We'll need it against West Brom.

I wouldn't argue with a yellow, but some of the shit that I have heard to justify the red. Nonsense about it being a leg breaker, it wasn't a leg breaker in a million years. It was "over the ball", what? He went to kick the ball and it got nicked away. "Studs showing", again, what does that mean? If you swing your foot at a ball to kick it your studs will show sometimes, but even then in this scenario it was more the side of his foot that hit Fletchers shin-pad.

Guest Slippery Sam

I can see why the ref thinks it was a dangerous challenge, but I don't agree with it though.

There has been an argument about Tiote carrying on with the 'challenge' after the whistle had gone and that he should have stopped. If that is valid, then why did Fletcher carry on with his 'challenge/clearance' after the whistle? The reason is that both were committed to getting the ball - nothing else, and the time from whistle to challenge was far too small imo.

Guest neesy111

The red card is 50/50 imo, though on 1st viewing in real again on MOTD2 it looked nothing imo, but why the fuck is Tiote putting himself into such a situation in the 1st place.

We would have won easily with 11v11 never seen us control a derby so much for the 1st 45 mins in a long time.

Atkinson is probably the biggest homer of a referee you can get, biased cunt that he is.

Sunderland are dog shite and in a relegation battle easily and they shouldn't have sacked Bruce on that evidence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2221161/Fabricio-Coloccini-coolest-man-pitch-Sunderland-v-Newcastle.html

Taylor, a local lad, had been expected to partner Coloccini but found himself watching Mike Williamson do that.

On Tyneside the belief was that Taylor’s seat on the bench was a consequence of an interview he gave last week in which he said no Sunderland players would get in the Newcastle starting XI and that he would rather ‘collect stamps’ than play for the Wearsiders.

???

What irritated me a great deal was the ref pulling stuff back after he'd played advantage. How long can it go on for? There was a case where I think Cabaye had a hack at Johnson and failed, ref played advantage, Johnson tried to beat the next guy, crossed it, we cleared it, ref pulls it back for the Cabaye challenge. So how long does the advantage last?

Guest neesy111

I wonder how Wireside felt when the invisible Sessegnon was HAULED OFF in the 2nd half.

Didn't realise Adam Johnson was playing until he got hauled off :lol:.

What irritated me a great deal was the ref pulling stuff back after he'd played advantage. How long can it go on for? There was a case where I think Cabaye had a hack at Johnson and failed, ref played advantage, Johnson tried to beat the next guy, crossed it, we cleared it, ref pulls it back for the Cabaye challenge. So how long does the advantage last?

Aye, I've mentioned that bit a couple of times as well, it was the worst bit of refereeing today IMO. Making a mistake is human and understandable, but that was a complete lack of knowledge of the game.

Just back home. I had a proper good time like. Would have been nice to hold on, but I never expected to, and thought we were fucked when Tiote got sent off. To get a draw from that, and only cos of a fluke is a credit. Although the mackems really were much poorer than I expected.

And that period in the second half where we were singing Liam O'brien, Andy O'brien for ages, with the back wall banging was class, hope yous could hear it on tv. It certainly wound the mackems up.

I can honestly see the Mackems being in some serious shit. I mean today they should have been fired up and even after us going down to 10 men they did nothing with the ball, they have had 1 win this season and that was too Wigan and Wigan should have at least got a point from that game, all the rest have been draws, they just simply aren't god enough. They offer nothing going forward, I mean Rose is supposed to be good going forward but didn't doesn't do anything and every time I've seen him play he gets skinned by whoever he is up against, Johnson today proved simple marking rules him out of a game, Mcclean is starting to become another Cattermole thug, Fletcher gets no service, Jack Colback isn't allowed to go forward which is his game really, a good pass on him but no one to pass too, Sess is possibly the most over rated in the Premiership at the moment, has a decent game every 25 games. If it wasn't for a few teams being worse then them then I'd be very worried about being dragged into a relegation fight. I think they will be fine this season, but if they don't sort it out then they will be serious trouble.

I'd like to take the positives from this.

I've been thinking all season that the players seemed strangely lethargic, but we seemed to have that spring in our step back for this match.

I think everyone's been suffering from a bit of a motivational crisis after coming down from the highs of last season, but this match showed that they're still capable of getting it together when they need to. Maybe it was just an isolated incident due to it being the derby, but hopefully this is something we'll be able to take into the next game.

They were ridiculously poor and without the sending off I was feeling like we could score 3~4 goals. Sending off was a bit harsh but there was no reason whatsoever for Tiote to be lunging at the ball like that after the whistle had gone already. His aggressive tendencies are getting a bit irritating now and he needs to learn how to control himself.