Newcastle Utd 1 - 2 Swansea - 11/17/12 -post-match reaction from page 29

Beren

Focusing on Swansea's hyped-up passing game while underestimating their capability to throw us off with something based on counter attack, especially with the tactically-astute manager they have. F*** off.

We're losing a lot of games this year because we're just applying the same tactics we tried on them last season. Our scouting on opposition just seems to be so one-dimensional and focuses solely on the style the opponent is expected to bring out. I remember a good article about our ManU game where we attempted to beat their central midfield like last year, without taking note that they've changed shape to pit 3 midfielders there to outnumber our two. Now we have Swansea who come in with practically the same game we outplayed them with last season. They've moved on while we're caught fighting guns with swords. So utterly predictable and unprogressive.

There was absolutely no reason to bring on Shola. None in the slightest.

I disagree. Sammy was shit. Unfortunately it was Ferguson that went off. Shola coming on was the product of a stupid starting 11.

Sammy had a nightmare, he should have made way not Ferguson but not for Shola FFS!

I sat between the Leazes and the East Stand and some of the "support" in there is terrible

I was in level 7 and they/we got behind the team, so did the Gallowgate corner, that changed at 0-2 mind.

I started typing up scores for players then realised it's pointless. Our game plan is fucking woeful, no matter who was playing for us. Taylor HBA and Santon are the only ones that did the things you expect. The rest were atrocious.

I thought Anita had his best game for us. Easily MOTM.

Santon was our best player by a country mile.

Krul 6

Simpson 5

Williamson 5

S.Taylor 6

Santon 6

Tiote 6

Anita 6

HBA 6.5

Sammy 4

Ferguson 5

Ba 6.5

Shola 6.5

Bigi 5

Marveaux 6

Really pissed off yet again, thought we were decent in the first half and but for a wonder save from their keeper from Ben Arfa we would have had the lead, still by the same token they always looked dangerous on the break. Early stages of the second half it looked like the goal was going to come, we were clearly on top and the crowd was in good voice. However, we soon fell to pieces and as soon as they capitalised on their spell of dominance it was all but over.

It hasn't helped at all that we've never really been able to field a full strength side, but the lack of cohesion from a group of players that train with each other every day is absolutely shocking. As soon as they took the lead we couldn't string two passes together and the second goal was inevitable with how much possession they were allowed to have.

Perhaps what has been most concerning over these past two weeks is that the mental strength that was all so evident last season isn't there at all. The Southampton game is absolutely vital if we are to have any chance of finishing close to where we did last season, but ironically I think our run of 'form' may come over Christmas for once. Having no Europa games for a while will be a bonus, and hopefully we will be able to gain some continuity and momentum.

Krul 6

Simpson 5

Williamson 5

S.Taylor 6

Santon 6

Tiote 6

Anita 6

HBA 6.5

Sammy 4

Ferguson 5

Ba 6.5

Shola 6.5

Bigi 5

Marveaux 6

Really p*ssed off yet again, thought we were decent in the first half and but for a wonder save from their keeper from Ben Arfa we would have had the lead, still by the same token they always looked dangerous on the break. Early stages of the second half it looked like the goal was going to come, we were clearly on top and the crowd was in good voice. However, we soon fell to pieces and as soon as they capitalised on their spell of dominance it was all but over.

It hasn't helped at all that we've never really been able to field a full strength side, but the lack of cohesion from a group of players that train with each other every day is absolutely shocking. As soon as they took the lead we couldn't string two passes together and the second goal was inevitable with how much possession they were allowed to have.

Perhaps what has been most concerning over these past two weeks is that the mental strength that was all so evident last season isn't there at all. The Southampton game is absolutely vital if we are to have any chance of finishing close to where we did last season, but ironically I think our run of 'form' may come over Christmas for once. Having no Europa games for a while will be a bonus, and hopefully we will be able to gain some continuity and momentum.

It looked as if Krul was the busier keeper of the two, if they could shoot we could have been well beaten by half time.  Krul dropped a massive bollock for the first goal, I still think he kept us in it before and after that.

Krul 6

Simpson 5

Williamson 5

S.Taylor 6

Santon 6

Tiote 6

Anita 6

HBA 6.5

Sammy 4

Ferguson 5

Ba 6.5

Shola 6.5

Bigi 5

Marveaux 6

Really p*ssed off yet again, thought we were decent in the first half and but for a wonder save from their keeper from Ben Arfa we would have had the lead, still by the same token they always looked dangerous on the break. Early stages of the second half it looked like the goal was going to come, we were clearly on top and the crowd was in good voice. However, we soon fell to pieces and as soon as they capitalised on their spell of dominance it was all but over.

It looked as if Krul was the busier keeper of the two, if they could shoot we could have been well beaten by half time.  Krul dropped a massive bollock for the first goal, I still think he kept us in it before and after that.

I suppose the first half is open to interpretation, we did most of the pressing imo, but they cut us apart time and again and created the more clear cut chances. Thought Krul was ok, at fault for the first, but I'm not even sure how the second went in.

The first goal went something like this:

Newcastle goal kick.

Santon comes short in vast space and offers to receive it short from Krul, who tells him to go away and prepares to go long.

I go mental.

Kicks it long, they win the second ball and nearly score, win a corner.

Second corner, NUFC goal kick.

Santon offers himself short again, Krul tells him to go away.

I go apopleptic.

Kicks it long, they win second ball, we are forced to go back to Krul under pressure.

Miskick as he tries to go long again.

Goal.

I burst blood vessel.

4-2-4 for the whole second half and we still rarely threatened the goal.

Formation has very little to do with that performance.

The passing was utterly atrocious throughout. Ba, Krul, Ben Arfa, the Ameobis, Bigirmana when he came on, and of course Williamson.

Ben Arfa's dribbiling is fantastic, but he too often lets himself down with a sloppy pass and I think only one of his shots was on target. That is not that unusual either.

Doesn't matter which team we are playing, they know to stand off Williamson and just let him have it - the ball will soon be chipped straight to their centre half. As a result he touches the ball far more than any other player in the side. Barcelona have Xavi on the ball more than anyone, we have Williamson.

The sad fact is, that while some bemoan our direct style, our real undoing comes when our overrated players start trying to pass the ball to each other. Theres quite a few things wrong with this side atm, but more than anything they are missing a real target man to help them play the direct style that naturally suits them. Pardew was right to try and sign Carroll in the summer.

If Stone Cold Steve Stone is our attacking coach he can go with Woodman.

Sorry if I've missed something but what's the problem with Woodman?

Krul's kicking. It's worse now than it ever has been and it's infuriating.

Yeah, it's always been very poor and I said last season it should be worked on in the summer.