Newcastle United 1 - 1 CS Maritimo - 22/11/12 - post-match reaction from page 30

Dave

"We wanted to qualify, so we have done the job. The last 20 minutes of the game, Maritimo had nothing to lose and we were poor in that period, I am not going to cloud over that.

"But to some extent, we didn't have enough threat up the top of the pitch. We lost Hatem and then we lost Papiss - we lost Shola [Ameobi] yesterday - and we didn't really have enough pressure up there that could cause them problems.

"They had nothing to lose, so they came on to us, and that was a little bit disappointing, that period.

"But I am delighted we are through. It's very important for us, for our feeling because up until that last 20 minutes, we have been excellent in this tournament, so I am not going to get carried away by that.

"We know that we are really stretched at the minute, and I thought that showed in that period."

"We wanted to qualify, so we have done the job. The last 20 minutes of the game, Maritimo had nothing to lose and we were poor in that period, I am not going to cloud over that.

"But to some extent, we didn't have enough threat up the top of the pitch. We lost Hatem and then we lost Papiss - we lost Shola [Ameobi] yesterday - and we didn't really have enough pressure up there that could cause them problems.

"They had nothing to lose, so they came on to us, and that was a little bit disappointing, that period.

"But I am delighted we are through. It's very important for us, for our feeling because up until that last 20 minutes, we have been excellent in this tournament, so I am not going to get carried away by that.

"We know that we are really stretched at the minute, and I thought that showed in that period."

:jesuswept:

The whole of the 2nd half was garbage, it was the longest 48 minutes of my life.

we scored on 22 or 23 mins.  I went to turn to Ketsbaia and say "finally.  A goal just before half-time".  That's how bad it was  :lol:

My prediction of "get an early goal and spend the match trying to hold on" was spot on too. Wish it was wrong :(

It doesn't work having two DMs and then trying to play a passing game.

Sammy looked nervous, like the pressure is on him after his initial good performances. He just needs to relax again.

Amalfitano really struggled. Admittedly he came on when the team was falling apart, but I don't think he's going to be one of Carr's successes.

Absolutely s*** defending by Taylor for their goal. It often looks like he's so scared of getting beaten that he concentrates on staying two yards goal-side. It cost him in that instance.

The one bright-ish spark was Marveaux. At least he kept his composure and showed some good touches.

He needs to go back to the reserves.

It doesn't work having two DMs and then trying to play a passing game.

Sammy looked nervous, like the pressure is on him after his initial good performances. He just needs to relax again.

Amalfitano really struggled. Admittedly he came on when the team was falling apart, but I don't think he's going to be one of Carr's successes.

Absolutely s*** defending by Taylor for their goal. It often looks like he's so scared of getting beaten that he concentrates on staying two yards goal-side. It cost him in that instance.

The one bright-ish spark was Marveaux. At least he kept his composure and showed some good touches.

He needs to go back to the reserves.

This. Not nearly good enough. Not even for the shit fests we serve every weekend. Clumsy and just of his depth.

I love this site.

Tonight's stats: http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/667895/LiveStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Europa-League-2012-2013-Newcastle-United-Maritimo

Krul played 24 long balls tonight, 8 accurately. The Maritimo keeper played 6. I wanted to run on the pitch and strangle him in the second half like.

Surely it's something he's been instructed to do though? In any case, Pardew should recognize how terrible it is, and make Krul cut it out.

I love this site.

Tonight's stats: http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/667895/LiveStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Europa-League-2012-2013-Newcastle-United-Maritimo

Krul played 24 long balls tonight, 8 accurately. The Maritimo keeper played 6. I wanted to run on the pitch and strangle him in the second half like.

Surely it's something he's been instructed to do though? In any case, Pardew should recognize how terrible it is, and make Krul cut it out.

I don't doubt for a second that he's being told to do it but it's still utterly infuriating to watch Santon or Coloccini offer him an option and him tell them to go away before kicking it straight to the Maritimo goalkeeper like it's a fucking drop ball. You'd think at least once or twice he'd think 'fuck this' and roll it out.

It's long pissed me off how little option we give the goalkeeper though, even the players who want it only come short to him. If you watch Man Utd, any time the keeper catches it, the full backs and/or the wingers go, straight away, pull very wide, start to run in anticipation of the pass and offer a quick counter attack. Our players turn their backs and walk slowly away.

There was a moment which epitomised our problems at the moment. Ba got the ball on the left in the 2nd half around the half way like, looked up saw nothing on so held on to it spun on the ball and protected it from maritimo players. Looked up again and every single one of our players were standing still watching him and only one player was ahead of him.

Absolutely shocking. Football basics is to have runners moving into space off the ball.

Don't even know what to say about the match other then that was really hard to watch last night, i don't know if i'm happy that we have done enough to go through with the squad we have got or whether i'm pissed because paying £15 to watch that shower of shite really is a disgrace.

Thought Santon looked bright, he's dying to get that goal.  Colo should some lovely touches and i liked how the centre mids chased after the ball, unfortunately thats all they did.

Simpson was gash, Sammi too.

If anything i hope its proven to the management that our reserve players aren't ready for the step up, certainly playing more than one or two of them at a time leaves the team wide open.  Also have we decided to collect dwarfs? the midfield had the height of a under 11's team last night.

All that said, booing at the end is fucking laughable for me.

Guest palnese

Don't even know what to say about the match other then that was really hard to watch last night, i don't know if i'm happy that we have done enough to go through with the squad we have got or whether i'm pissed because paying £15 to watch that shower of shite really is a disgrace.

Thought Santon looked bright, he's dying to get that goal.  Colo should some lovely touches and i liked how the centre mids chased after the ball, unfortunately thats all they did.

Simpson was gash, Sammi too.

If anything i hope its proven to the management that our reserve players aren't ready for the step up, certainly playing more than one or two of them at a time leaves the team wide open.  Also have we decided to collect dwarfs? the midfield had the height of a under 11's team last night.

All that said, booing at the end is fucking laughable for me.

Not really. We've played what, 20 games this year? We're yet to produce a single good performance. That's pretty fucking poor given the players we've got.