Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bobby was a big advocator of home grown talent. I think there has to be a place for it. Mind, put two players in front of me and ill pick a player based on nothing but ability.

It means something to see Taylor do well, in the past to see Carroll wear the number 9. Was certainly far more special than seeing Cisse for instance score a goal wearing the shirt.

We do need some Engrish players like.

Do we though?  I find this line of thought quite disturbing because I think there's a large undertone of xenophobia/racism attached to it.

:lol: Really? It's about having players I can relate too and who know the mentality of the league personally.

This, even though you can't relate to them anymore. It's easier to pretend you can.

It's sad indictment of the North East in particular and England as whole we'll field a team next season without a single representative from the country we represent.

Makes me feel apathetic as f*** and I couldn't have more love for foreign football etc.

You know the reasons why though..... the ones that are good enough are far too expensive and the one that are cheap are usually crap.

We do need some British players though, for all the reasons you said but also because we are seriously lacking in them for the 25 man squad.

I don't want us to buy English/British players for the sake of it though, they have to be good enough.

Hope we are seriously considering getting Sinclair, Ince etc etc for the LW spot.

Bobby was a big advocator of home grown talent. I think there has to be a place for it. Mind, put two players in front of me and ill pick a player based on nothing but ability.

It means something to see Taylor do well, in the past to see Carroll wear the number 9. Was certainly far more special than seeing Cisse for instance score a goal wearing the shirt.

Nail on head.

It's the little things like the extra roar/encouragement players like Campbell get purely because they're local. Stuff like that makes going to the match for me, even more so these days when we're effectively playing for profit not cups.

I want the best, most committed footballers we can get at our club regardless of race. Can't see why anyone would think that different. Can maybe understand a bit of nationalism kicking in wanting to see great English players come through but to be realistic in our aims rating nationality over the above halts progress and makes no sense to me.

I am not affiliated with Chicago at all but when Derrick Rose wins MVP for his hometown, now that's a bit special.

Don't see why anyone not from Newcastle can be that way either (I can see the argument rearing it's head).

We do need some Engrish players like.

Do we though?  I find this line of thought quite disturbing because I think there's a large undertone of xenophobia/racism attached to it.

:lol: Really? It's about having players I can relate too and who know the mentality of the league personally.

This, even though you can't relate to them anymore. It's easier to pretend you can.

It's sad indictment of the North East in particular and England as whole we'll field a team next season without a single representative from the country we represent.

Makes me feel apathetic as f*** and I couldn't have more love for foreign football etc.

You know the reasons why though..... the ones that are good enough are far too expensive and the one that are cheap are usually crap.

We do need some British players though, for all the reasons you said but also because we are seriously lacking in them for the 25 man squad.

I don't want us to buy English/British players for the sake of it though, they have to be good enough.

Hope we are seriously considering getting Sinclair, Ince etc etc for the LW spot.

Well said. It would be great to be buying the best English talent again, but there isn't that much of it, and if you don't get the best, you end up paying daft money for the Stuart Downings and Jordan Hendersons of this world.

Good, a signing at last, hopefully he can deliver, as we have need his type of player for a long time. I am actually starting to look forward to the start of the season, well maybe West Ham. I'm just glad for some positive news for a change.

Bent or Gomis would do nicely now (preferably Bent) but more importantly let's hope nobody is sold! I think we could surprise a few this season if Pards puts all our creative talent on the pitch at once

Why preferably Bent?  We have Cisse and Remy, two different strikers and Gomis would be another different option.  Bent's just a poor mans Cisse so he's not a different option, plus he's older than Gomis.  He seems like the worst option we could go for now.

I like to see a British backbone in the team throughout the 90 minutes. Bent is a proven Premier League goalscorer who is desperate to get back in the England fold for next summer. A lot of people seem to be well clued up on these foreign 'stars'. How often do they actually see them play? I've never seen Gomis, not once.

He's a proven goal scorer, but he plays in exactly the same style as our main striker, just without the ability to score goals he creates himself.  If we're going for another striker don't you think we should want someone who offers something different?  Fair enough if your reasoning is you haven't seen anything of Gomis.  But he's obviously still a proven scorer at a good level and is that different kind of striker we're missing.

I couldn't give a shit about buying English players, in fact I'd prefer it that we didn't because - by and large - they're not worth the money paid for them. The problem, where this argument is concerned, is our academy and our generally pitiful evolution of local youngsters. Carroll and Taylor are the only notable local 'successes' since the Keegan era - when we had Clark, Watson, Howey, Beardsley, Venison, Beresford and Shearer* as regular first-teamers over a period of a few years. Something clearly stinks at the academy because we don't produce good players, simple as that. But with teams across the league scouting younger players from abroad - as opposed to developing their own - I dare say we're not the only ones in such a predicament.

*not an academy product but a Geordie nonetheless.

I would like to have at least 3 English/Scottish players in our first 11. That said, value for money will always come first with this lot so it's pretty pointless to even debate it.

If Cabaye gets sold off, and unfortunately he most certainly will in the next 18 months, I'd like to see his replacement be a Brit. McCarthy would be great.

There is plenty of young English talent coming through, a lot of rough diamonds that have to be coached well and right during their development years. And then yes, on the flipside, you have the overpriced English player like Jordan Henderson.

I ultimately want what's best for NUFC but I'd love to see some real English talent come through and make a mark at this football club.

I would like to have at least 3 English/Scottish players in our first 11. That said, value for money will always come first with this lot so it's pretty pointless to even debate it.

If Cabaye gets sold off, and unfortunately he most certainly will in the next 18 months, I'd like to see his replacement be a Brit. McCarthy would be great.

In an ideal world, yeah. Not just for the sake of it though, like replacing Cabaye with McCarthy, for example.

I couldn't give a shit about buying English players, in fact I'd prefer it that we didn't because - by and large - they're not worth the money paid for them. The problem, where this argument is concerned, is our academy and our generally pitiful evolution of local youngsters. Carroll and Taylor are the only notable local 'successes' since the Keegan era. Something clearly stinks at the academy because we don't produce good players, simple as that. But with teams across the league scouting younger players from abroad - as opposed to developing their own - I dare say we're not the only ones in such a predicament.

The North East just doesn't seem to produce good sportsmen across the board. I think it's partially a problem with mentality.

In an ideal world, yeah. Not just for the sake of it though, like signing replacing Cabaye with McCarthy, for example.

Nobody suggested doing it just for the sake. If we have options, and of course we do, I'd rather we didn't fill the remaing gaps in our squad with players with no PL education/experience.

That's the main thing in general. We/other clubs would prefer to buy an Amalfitano or Good just because they're cheap when there's similarly talented British players in the lower levels who are being ignored because they cost a little bit more.

Wish Carroll was still our centre forward tbh. I know he left us etc, but I just wish that whole thing never happened.

Stuff like that I can agree with. It was great seeing a local lad wearing the number 9 and murdering defences nearly every week. Absolutely no idea how he even happened, given our academy's track record.

Carroll's success here was definitely a bit more special for me, but I'll probably feel that way about any player coming through the academy, foreign or English. I don't really find any special connection to English players, to the point where I'm much more excited about Europeans/South Americans. I'm just going to find it hard to relate to any player who makes thousands a week, but I guess if we signed an American it would be a different story.

I couldn't give a shit about buying English players, in fact I'd prefer it that we didn't because - by and large - they're not worth the money paid for them. The problem, where this argument is concerned, is our academy and our generally pitiful evolution of local youngsters. Carroll and Taylor are the only notable local 'successes' since the Keegan era. Something clearly stinks at the academy because we don't produce good players, simple as that. But with teams across the league scouting younger players from abroad - as opposed to developing their own - I dare say we're not the only ones in such a predicament.

The North East just doesn't seem to produce good sportsmen across the board. I think it's partially a problem with mentality.

Historically it does.