Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newcastle United finally land Loic Remy

6 Aug 2013 08:26

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew will be hoping that his director of football Joe Kinnear can pull off a swift follow up to last night's signing of Loic Remy

The onus remains on Kinnear and dealmaker Lee Charnley – who Pardew last month revealed had been handed more responsibility since the departure of Derek Llambias – to deliver another new face.

Remy was not presented to the media today and was unable to face questions from the Press.

Kinnear was today in talks to bring in a second new face of the summer in and it is believed that Bafetimbi Gomis of Lyon is the striker that the United director of football wants to bring to Tyneside next.

Darren Bent of Aston Villa remains on the radar, but the Chronicle understands that the England international is very much a fall back if the Ligue 1 side continue to dig their heels in over Gomis.

Kinnear admitted on Sunday that the goalposts are continually being moved in the Gomis deal, despite the fact that the striker – who celebrates his 28th birthday today – is keen on the move.

French sources have indicated that the Gomis transfer fee is not cut and dry at £7million even though his contract is up next summer.

Yet Kinnear will continue to push for the deal today.

The arrival of Remy, who has been on United’s scouting radar since the 2010/11 season, bolsters Pardew’s attacking options. But it remains to be seen if he fields both Papiss Cisse and Remy as a front two.

Kinnear was on Tyneside yesterday to complete his first signing as transfer chief.

United did not include Pardew in the picture of Remy being unveiled yesterday and left most of the talking to Kinnear.

Remy turned down United in January but last night said: “I’m very happy to be a Newcastle player.

“It will be a huge honour to play for such a big club. I was very flattered by the club’s interest back in January and very happy that they showed interest in me again this summer.

“The Premier League is the best league in the world and that’s where I want to play.

“I am very motivated this year to get into the World Cup squad for my country. I know in order to do that I need to have a big season and a successful campaign with Newcastle.

“I am focused on helping the team achieve success this season and scoring as many goals as I can.”

Kinnear was today continuing to work on transfer deals and while Remy was unavailable for further comment, the ex-Nottingham Forest and Luton manager said: “The need for us to strengthen up front was a priority and I have been working very hard to secure one of our targets in this position.

“I’m delighted to have secured Loic for the season. Now we have him I’m sure he’ll be a huge success for us.

“I know he’s hungry for goals and is absolutely committed to helping us achieve success this season.”

Some journalists try too hard.

I'll weep to see what songs come out of this one.

Loic Loic Remy Remy

Loic Loic Remy Remy

Loic Loic Remy to Rumble

Although rumble could be replaced with humble, tumble, jumble, fumble or apple crumble.

Maybe nimble.

On the point of producing top athletes/players from the North East and from the Academy; How often are the younger age groups training at the Academy? I remember seeing some documents from the Academy a couple of years ago and was baffled as to how little training they were actually doing. Or are they involved with other boys teams as well in the younger ages? With kids sitting at their computers and consoles all day long the spontaneous football is all but dead. Therefore, surely the only way to combat that is to increase "organised" training time?

Kinnear admitted on Sunday that the goalposts are continually being moved in the Gomis deal, despite the fact that the striker – who celebrates his 28th birthday today – is keen on the move.

Too old. Do not want.

Flabbergasted we've managed to pull this one off. I fully expected other clubs to show an interest once it became clear QPR were willing to move him on on loan, thereby largely mitigating the risk of the rape case. Excellent player, who should compliment our existing forward options well. Credit to Kinnear for getting this deal done. I didn't think he could do it. Even more surprised it appears we haven't finished our summer business yet. If we keep our best players and manage to add another one or two (another striker and a winger), our combined business over January and this summer will be nothing short of amazing.

Flabbergasted we've managed to pull this one off. I fully expected other clubs to show an interest once it became clear QPR were willing to move him on on loan, thereby largely mitigating the risk of the rape case. Excellent player, who should compliment our existing forward options well. Credit to Kinnear for getting this deal done. I didn't think he could do it. Even more surprised it appears we haven't finished our summer business yet. If we keep our best players and manage to add another one or two (another striker and a winger), our combined business over January and this summer will be nothing short of amazing.

We clearly had a massive advantage in that we almost got him in January so most if not all of the groundwork will have been done already. Has worked out amazingly well in reality.

Yeah, not sure Kinnear's getting credit for this one, even if his senile mug was on the picture with him.  Pretty sure Charnley (even Del Boy) deserve most of the credit.

The best thing we can say is that Kinnear hasn't actually wrecked our entire transfer operation yet, which TBH would do me fine.

Yeah, not sure Kinnear's getting credit for this one, even if his senile mug was on the picture with him.  Pretty sure Charnley (even Del Boy) deserve most of the credit.

The best thing we can say is that Kinnear hasn't actually wrecked our entire transfer operation yet, which TBH would do me fine.

Same thoughts here.

Why do places like Manchester produce so many great athletes then? The North East just seems to produce nearly men (at best) these days.

Athletic facilities are far better there and people from the south are more willing to live there - apart from pampered BBC news-readers who don't want to move to Salford from London..!

Victoria Pendleton is a case in point - originally from Beds, now lives in Cheshire.

In the 60s, Manchester did produce some good footballers - Nobby Stiles, Brian Kidd etc, but the NE had more...Norman Hunter, Howard Kendall, Colin Bell, Charlton Bros, Colin Todd, Pop Robson etc etc as well as those who were scouted and nurtured by clubs like Burnley.

Much of the best talent left the NE because the local clubs arrogantly assumed most people wanted to play for them rather than making the effort to look for the talent - to a degree, this went on right up to recent times.

I think the "poor people are more likely to devote to sports" cliché is a bit overused. Catalonia is one of the richest regions in Spain and we produced nearly half of the Olympic medalists in London. Infrastructure availability and a family that can allow you to practice a sport instead of working at Maccy D's to make ends meet help a lot.

I think the "poor people are more likely to devote to sports" cliché is a bit overused. Catalonia is one of the richest regions in Spain and we produced nearly half of the Olympic medalists in London. Infrastructure availability and a family that can allow you to practice a sport instead of working at Maccy D's to make ends meet help a lot.

True. See post above ref Germany.

However I would agree that their is a lot less "hunger" at street level in working class areas of the UK than there once was. Nowadays it tends to be a more self indulgent lifestyle regarding diet, exercise, drinking etc.

Being working class once meant a diet of meat and vegetables and lots of outdoor games, it's more likely to equate to convenience food and endless Sky TV nowadays.

Watching kids playing football etc on squares and beaches all day and night around Catalonia is in stark contrast to the way it is in the UK.

Thank god we got him in. We have a ray of hope now of having a decent season.

Tiote          Sissoko      or          HBA    Tiote  Cabaye  Sissoko

Cabaye

Remy

HBA              Remy                                Cisse

Cisse

This line up seems to have the right balance of Energy, Speed, skill creativity, grit and goals if Cisse can start banging them in again. If Cabaye does go Marveaux is the perfect replacement and Jonas in for Tiote if he's not up to it. Jonas in a defensive midfield spot is underrated but agree he looks spent as an attacking player. Anita and Bigi mean we are well covered in midfield. Could still do with some strength in depth up front/on the wings from still as if Cisse struggles again and/or HBA or Remy get injured/sent down we are really struggling after Gouffran. A young quick up and coming winger maybe ?

Really not sure that even if we sign Gomis he would form a partnership with Cisse as they seem too similar.

Things would be so much easier in this country if the school system was more committed to having a proper structure for it's sports teams, with proper coaches, training and competitive league play.

For a kid to be serious about their sports it seems they have to join a club outside of school, which requires a lot more commitment, and effort. Besides, you'd have to be pretty good to achieve this in the first place.

There should be another option for kids that aren't necessarily at that level yet, who may very well be late developers.

Also, it's much easier to just go for practice and games right after classes. I imagine it would be a lot easier for kids to put off heading home to jump on their computers all evening, if things were setup this way.