Newcastle United 1 - 0 QPR - 22/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 27

Mike

Well, what did I make of today then? Forgettable first half - it was literally the case of two shite teams cancelling each other out. The second half was much better viewing (which surprisingly came after we switched to 4-4-2). Shola's goal was such a lovely finish, canny technique.

I'm delighted with the result, we desperately needed a win today and we got just that despite it being an ugly one. No further complaints from me like, it was always going to be a tense/nerve-wracking game. A win's a win and with Man U, Arsenal and Everton on the horizon, this win could prove crucial to our season...

We weren't playing 4-4-2 though, obertan was on left wing, and marveaux may have techinally been right wing but was in practice central and roaming, Santon playing wingback more then and as such we had bodies in midfield. We were more direct but they weren't that interested in attacking so we could have plenty of bodies forward (Colo was playing pretty wide and pretty high up at times) and so while we were more direct there were passes available and we weren't playing too badly.

The formation thing has always been a slightly innacurate thing, having a 2 man midfield is a poor idea against astute teams but it's all a bit more complicated than the formation, it's about what players are doing. The turgid 4-4-2 we've played for a lot of this season didn't resemble the 4-4-2 for this second half. That's not to say it was genius and will work most games, it was simply a fairly fluid load of players playing against a team who weren't really competing, they just wanted to counter, not try and stop our possession.

Our movement off the ball has as much to do with how we've played as the formation imo, noone makes themselves available for forward passes at times, having 2 in mid obviously restricts options further but so often players don't get the ball forward, and there's noone running into space. First half of this game was full of total lack of movement and being incredibly predictable. It seemed to take ages for us to get the ball up the pitch.

We had the luxury in the second half, especially once they sent Derry on for Faurlin, of not really needing a formation. Keep Simpson and Williamson back and let everyone else stay up because they haven't got a cat in hell's chance of scoring.

Mick finally lost the plot, then.

Wtf?  I hate Shaking Stevens with a passion, my mother had one of his LP's when I was a kid and I was woken up every Sunday morning by that bastard when I had a massive hangover.  I think she only had 2 LP's, the other was some fat Greek bloke who I would also rather never hear or see again.

The best thing you could say about this game was that we got 3 points.

Very sterile performance from both sides and this is a temporary respite from what lies ahead...goal was a rare piece of constructive passing, Marveaux always likely to find a good pass if teams stand off him.

Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said - transfer window crucial and the remainder of the season is going to be a fraught affair unless we pick up a few unexpected points over the next 2 weeks or so.

The best thing you could say about this game was that we got 3 points.

Very sterile performance from both sides and this is a temporary respite from what lies ahead...goal was a rare piece of constructive passing, Marveaux always likely to find a good pass if teams stand off him.

Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said - transfer window crucial and the remainder of the season is going to be a fraught affair unless we pick up a few unexpected points over the next 2 weeks or so.

Have to agree. Looking at our fixture list it could be a while before our next win, which is why it was vital to pick up the 3 points yesterday. At least we can enjoy Christmas following a win.

People saying this was "only QPR", etc. They still had quality with the likes of Faurlin, Granero, Cisse & Taarabt, and had just came off the back of 4 games unbeaten, where they probably could have had an extra win or two. You could argue that most of those would be in our team at the moment. We were never going to be brilliant the way results have been going, but the positives are, we were always in control and never looked in danger, it was only a matter of time before we scored yesterday which proved to be the case, and our set-pieces the past few matches have actually looked threatening.

People saying this was "only QPR", etc. They still had quality with the likes of Faurlin, Granero, Cisse & Taarabt, and had just came off the back of 4 games unbeaten, where they probably could have had an extra win or two. You could argue that most of those would be in our team at the moment. We were never going to be brilliant the way results have been going, but the positives are, we were always in control and never looked in danger, it was only a matter of time before we scored yesterday which proved to be the case, and our set-pieces the past few matches have actually looked threatening.

It's quite amazing how a club can spend so much money and yet look so bad. It just shows the value of building a settled side.

I was surprised that Hoilett was on the bench. He's quite a talent IMO, but it looks like he's wasted there.

Guest neesy111

It's quite amazing how a club can spend so much money and yet look so bad. It just shows the value of building a settled side.

I was surprised that Hoilett was on the bench. He's quite a talent IMO, but it looks like he's wasted there.

QPR deserve what they are getting right now.  Shows what a clown of a manager Hughes was to sign so many mercenaries.

Their sterility surprised me yesterday considering their on a decent run, the players they have and they did quite well at ManU as well.

The support at SJP yesterday was excellent - best in a long time I thought and right behind the whole team. It certainly helped the team.

Our movement remains very poor and the only player who looks like he can take a player on is Santon.

I agree. Santon was the only starting player that really seemed to be getting forward with intent and confidence. We had too many players hanging back, making themselves available for a backward or sideways pass so that we kept possession, rather than running forward into space. Perhaps some of that was a lack of faith in the man in possession being able to play a ball that eliminated defenders, which is why we should be playing Marveaux. Although we often retained possession well, the build up was far too slow to cause problems.

The whole atmophere in the team changed when Shola came on. Whatever his limitations, he's always looking for the ball and always looking to take responsibility. Things can be going badly, but he retains the belief that the next time he gets the ball, he's going to produce, and so it happened.

This is exactly how i see it!

Our movement remains very poor and the only player who looks like he can take a player on is Santon.

I agree. Santon was the only starting player that really seemed to be getting forward with intent and confidence. We had too many players hanging back, making themselves available for a backward or sideways pass so that we kept possession, rather than running forward into space. Perhaps some of that was a lack of faith in the man in possession being able to play a ball that eliminated defenders, which is why we should be playing Marveaux. Although we often retained possession well, the build up was far too slow to cause problems.

The whole atmophere in the team changed when Shola came on. Whatever his limitations, he's always looking for the ball and always looking to take responsibility. Things can be going badly, but he retains the belief that the next time he gets the ball, he's going to produce, and so it happened.

Would love to see what Santon could do in a more advanced position. He goes past players so easily.

Just read the Sunday Sun's match report for some reason, it's fucking shite. This bit about the goal in particular:

Sylvain Marveaux started it with a decent run across the edge of the box; he passed to Anita who in turn slipped a lovely ball to Ameobi who was way right of the goal.

:lol:

Just how?