Best Signing of the Last Decade

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I voted for Nolan.

The man's contribution to the club should never be forgotten.

Without him only Woodgate and Bassong would make the vote list.

As a captain, he dragged us back into the league, kept us up and was a key component in allowing us to sell Carroll for 35m.

That alone is worth hundredmillion pounds to us and enabled us to see the best of others already at the club whilst bringing other new top quality players in.

For where we were at when he played for us, his performances were of a top level, and when we looked to progress beyond his limits he did not outstay his welcome.

I hope the history books look kinder on Nolan than the average present day fan for his contribution to this football club was a huge success eclipsing the contribution of the more talented players on this list.

Time will tell with the current players, but certainly Hatem and Krul stand out.

Woodgate was head and shoulders above any central defender that I've seen play for us. Losing him to injury and then Real was a crucial blow. If he'd stayed fit and with us, we could have kept that momentum going from the Sir Bob era.

If there was a thread for the best VALUE transfer over the club's history, it would be hard to look beyond Terry Mac...bought by Joe Harvey in 1971 from Bury for 25,000 and sold to Liverpool 3 years later for 175,000. We bought him back for a pittance in 83 and he helped us to get promotion the following year.

Supermac was a record 180,000 when we bought him in 71, we got 5 great years from him and still got 333,000 when we sold him to Arsenal in 76....he would be worth a king's ransom today as would Beardo. Macdonald was the most exciting CF I have seen playing for Newcastle but Shearer was the most professional .

Guest SweMatt

With only 9 goals and 9 assists during his 43 apps (not including 11 subs) you could argue that Ben Arfa has not showed enough statistics yet.

But I would pay money to see this man play football every day of the week, and it wouldn't even have to be in a black and white shirt. In terms of talent, it's our best signing the last ten years.

I voted for Nolan.

As a captain, he dragged us back into the league, kept us up and was a key component in allowing us to sell Carroll for 35m.

That alone is worth hundredmillion pounds to us and enabled us to see the best of others already at the club whilst bringing other new top quality players in.

For where we were at when he played for us, his performances were of a top level, and when we looked to progress beyond his limits he did not outstay his welcome.

I hope the history books look kinder on Nolan than the average present day fan for his contribution to this football club was a huge success eclipsing the contribution of the more talented players on this list.

Great post IMO.

Still voted Colo

:yao:

I voted for Nolan.

:clap:

I voted for Nolan.

:thup:

In a fit of sensibility I voted for Nolan but could've easily picked Ben Arfa, Colo or Krul.