Africa Cup of Nations 2013

Fenham Mag

Our performance yesterday has completely killed my enthusiasm for the tournament. I don't understand Keshi at all. Our back six was amateur and Ogude is maybe the worst player I've seen in our clours at a major tournament. Worse than Kaita, all he does is foul and pass to the opposition. The only player that impressed me was Mikel Obi, who genuinely looked like a player who competes at the top level of the sport and was clam, strong, and creative in midfield. The rest were below standard. The Zambia game will be massive, now.

The matches have picked up in quality and excitement the past few days. I think the rest of the tournament will be very interesting, especially after we get rid of some of the riff-raff.

I can excuse the quality of some of the teams but their approach has been disappointing. Too many sides I've seen so far playing with 1 big striker and lumping it.

I enjoyed the Zambia - Ethiopia game. Two teams went for it, eventful and a decent crowd. All you ask for from this tournament.

I can excuse the quality of some of the teams but their approach has been disappointing. Too many sides I've seen so far playing with 1 big striker and lumping it.

I enjoyed the Zambia - Ethiopia game. Two teams went for it, eventful and a decent crowd. All you ask for from this tournament.

People who don't  follow African football regularly are surprised at how defensive it is now. The minnows especially are generally based on staying organised and trying to counter. If you compare the Nigeria and Cameroon sides of the 90's with the Ghana 2010 side, you can see the difference. The 90's teams were almost reckless in their attacking nature (and physicality if you are talking about Cameroon) but Ghana were a very defensive and reactionary team at the last World Cup. They really just sit back and rely on the athleticism of their forward players to break.

Cape Verde dominating Morocco. Loving their quality until the final ball.

I'm pretty sure I already mentioned this, but they outplayed Cameroon is both legs to qualify for this. Very talented and well drilled.

Nearly fell asleep at the gym today watching Niger vs Congo

Niger are unbelievably terrible. I watched Mali-Niger and decided not to watch that team again. I don't understand how Northern Nigeria (along with Mali and Algeria) can produce such stars and Niger consistently gives nothing.