Newcastle vs. Reading - 19/01/2013 @ 3pm (not on TV) - DEFINITELY ON

Skirge

Shola-Cisse in a 4-4-2 will be more effective than the Ba-Cisse partnership early on this season.

I think as a temporary measure for this game it will do, until we get another forward.

I'm not a Shola fan but it's our only option after the total ineffectiveness of 4-2-3-1 Vs Norwich.

I'll be your good luck charm today. :shifty: Ohhh Ameobi, you are the love of my life.... that's how the song goes, right? Right? Oh, right.

Personally think, while it's far from ideal, Shola and Cisse in a 4-4-2 - if that happens - could have some potential. The one thing Ameobi seems to be good at is winning it in the air so if Cisse's sharp, it could work. More so than Ba-Cisse. I hope to see Ameobi perform many bicycle kicks, regardless.

Edit: basically what Fenham said.

Shola-Cisse in a 4-4-2 will be more effective than the Ba-Cisse partnership early on this season.

I think as a temporary measure for this game it will do, until we get another forward.

I'm not a Shola fan but it's our only option after the total ineffectiveness of 4-2-3-1 Vs Norwich.

At least Shola will not be making the same runs as Cisse, the problem is that it will only be because he'll not be running much after the first 15 minutes.

Guest neesy111

The total ineffectiveness of the formation against Norwich was to do with Pardew telling them to play that way.

Guest bimpy474

The total ineffectiveness of the formation against Norwich was to do with Pardew telling them to play that way.

Aye, being as defensive as he can be, which we all now know is his default tactic. I hate him.

Aye - the objective at Norwich was to not get beat, today it should be win at all costs.

I'll be genuinely surprised if Shola starts this one mind.

Guest tollemache

I don't think 4-2-3-1 was the reason we were poor against Norwich. Could've played any formation I think, and been poor.

We're splitting hairs a little bit... our 4-4-1-1-ish / 4-2-3-1-ish thing is a lot like a 4-4-2 with a withdrawn striker. The crucial difference is that one requires Shola Ameobi to start the match and one gives a starring role to Marveaux instead

Guest bimpy474

Aye - the objective at Norwich was to not get beat, today it should be win at all costs.

I'll be genuinely surprised if Shola starts this one mind.

Pardew seems incapable of having a go though, it really makes you wonder wtf was going on in the Man Utd/Arsenal games.

I just would love to see us grab them by the throat from the first whistle, but in reality it'll be us hoofing it and letting them have possession and getting themselves into the game.

Its not a formation issue mate. its a football philosophy issue.

We have no movement or plan. In 442 Pardew can lump it up and hope the two on top sorts out a goal.

Sure as fuck no one from midfield will come up and help them.

The 4-2-3-1 issue at Norwich comes when he asked the two wide forwards to follow the wings when we defend.

Why does he not ask them to hold a little bit higher on the pitch, so we can for once this season have a chance for a counter attack?

How many times this season have we won the ball and gone for a counter, none?

Just a striker or two up there, rest is lumping after. So frustrating and negative tactic from Pardew, get some balls!

Strange thing is that he did it against Arsenal and Manu, as he thought we had nothing to lose.

Against Reading he will think he have everything to lose, and set us up not to concede.

By doing this he have lost even before the ball is kicked! Again  :huff:

Shola is not effective in this position either, giving away free kicks, loses the ball, tired after 30 mins etc.

At least Ba provided goals  :lol:

The sad part is, that i think all of us knows whats coming.

It will be a frustrating 90min, Pardew style.

I don't think 4-2-3-1 was the reason we were poor against Norwich. Could've played any formation I think, and been poor.

We're splitting hairs a little bit... our 4-4-1-1-ish / 4-2-3-1-ish thing is a lot like a 4-4-2 with a withdrawn striker. The crucial difference is that one requires Shola Ameobi to start the match and one gives a starring role to Marveaux instead

I can't think of any formation that requires Shola to play.

The team should be:

Krul

Debuchy  Colo.  Williamson  Santon

Bigi  Anita

Cabaye

Marv.                                      Jonas

Cisse

That is the formation our player are used to and the formation we have played the majority of the season,we should not be changing the way we set out just to suit Shola. The player that everyone knows is a good impact sub, but doesn't perform when, in from the start.

I wonder if Pardew will blame the fact that we set up for Remy being in our team if we lose :lol:

Guest tollemache

Hmmm started the Wigan game very brightly didn't we, to pluck a recent example? Ball on the deck, moving it about nicely before the penno. Could be that he sees this as an eminently winnable home game of the same ilk, in which case we could see a similar approach? Or maybe he'll see it as that bit more pressurised and just take no risks. Don't think it's open-and-shut though

The team should be:

Krul

Debuchy  Colo.  Williamson  Santon

Bigi  Anita

Cabaye

Marv.                                      Jonas

Cisse

That is the formation our player are used to and the formation we have played the majority of the season,we should not be changing the way we set out just to suit Shola. The player that everyone knows is a good impact sub, but doesn't perform when, in from the start.

I wonder if Pardew will blame the fact that we set up for Remy being in our team if we lose :lol:

I am tempted to say Obertan for Jonas tbh.

Guest tollemache

I just had a horrible thought, what if we are playing 4-2-3-1, but with Shola in the middle and Cisse on the right. :scared:

As a member of the inner circle I can confirm that that will never ever happen

Guest malandro

Our only option is to play a formation completely unsuited to a single one of our players just because Shola likes long balls? :lol:

I doubt Shola's inclusion would have much to do with how we play.

Posted about this yesterday. When he made a point of saying Reading were dangerous from set pieces there was always a strong chance he'd start with Shola as we don't have a lot height in the team, and his muddled comments about formations seemed to be hinting at concentrating at being hard to beat and grinding out results.

Not saying he's right but playing 442 with Shola up front would hardly be a bolt out of the blue.

As always we need an early goal.