Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

this Matthew Wilkes SOB should never work a football match again!  i don't care if he was instructed to only call throw-ins, etc by the ref--- the "i was just following orders" line has a dark history.

Is that a nazi reference?  :lol:

too far?    :whistle:      seriously though--you see something like that your conscience should pang you into action & raise the damn flag!

Maybe a tad too far. I agree with the sentiment though. It's worse than just a poor piece on linesmaning if he was thinking something like: "Oh, it looks like that french guy just had his kneecap shattered, but the ref told me just to deal with offsides so I won't bother raising my flag, he'll just have to writhe around in agony for a bit." And going off the view he had of the incident, and the way he seemed to nervously look towards the ref shortly aftewards, as if waiting for a whistle, it's not an unreasonable interpretation of events.

Both Halsey and Wilkes equally culpable here. Linesman had a clear view yet chose to do nothing. Halsey's view was partially blocked but he didn't even have the sense to consult his linesman after seeing the coming together and the subsequent cries and injuries of Haidara.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/20/massadio-haidara-callum-mcmanaman-tackle?CMP=twt_gu

Massadio Haïdara tells of his shock at brutal Callum McManaman tackle

• Newcastle left-back says challenge was worst he's ever seen

• "It could have ended my career and ruined my life"

Share 3

inShare0

Email

Peter Mason

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 March 2013 23.52 GMT

Callum McManaman

Alan Pardew shows displeasure at Wigan's Callum McManaman as he is substituted after tackling Massadio Haidara. Photograph: Craig Brough/Action Images

Massadio Haïdara has spoken of the horror he felt at the tackle by Wigan's Callum McManaman on Sunday and his disappointment that no action will be taken against the player.

In an interview with Le Parisien newspaper, Newcastle United's French defender said: "I really thought my leg was broken, I was in so much pain I couldn't think of anything. I was completely shocked – I still am. I've never seen such a tackle in football in my life. I shudder every time I think about it."

Haïdara said he found it "hard to swallow" that McManaman will receive no punishment because the FA is prevented from taking retrospective action. "I don't understand," he said. "His tackle could have ended my career and ruined my life. I don't want to change the physical mentality, pace and commitment in England but we can't tolerate tackles like this in football."

Despite saying that he felt "really, really angry" with McManaman immediately after the incident, Haïdara maintains he will bear no grudge and will be happy to respond to overtures from the player for a meeting in the next few days. "Now I feel differently and just hope that this will give him a lesson," he said.

Haïdara revealed that a series of scans have shown no damage to his knee ligaments or broken bones, and that he has sustained nothing more than severe bruising to his left leg. But he suggested the brutal challenge may have inflicted some short-term psychological damage. "I feel the need to be cautious and don't want to go back too fast," he said. "I will be apprehensive."

Haïdara revealed that a series of scans have shown no damage to his knee ligaments or broken bones, and that he has sustained nothing more than severe bruising to his left leg.

:indi:

From his first few games really had high hopes for this kid, what he's said since only emphasises that. So thankful his injury isn't as bad as was feared. When I first saw the replay I honestly thought it was a career ender.

this Matthew Wilkes SOB should never work a football match again!  i don't care if he was instructed to only call throw-ins, etc by the ref--- the "i was just following orders" line has a dark history.

too far?    :whistle:      seriously though--you see something like that your conscience should pang you into action & raise the damn flag!

Maybe a tad too far. I agree with the sentiment though. It's worse than just a poor piece on linesmaning if he was thinking something like: "Oh, it looks like that french guy just had his kneecap shattered, but the ref told me just to deal with offsides so I won't bother raising my flag, he'll just have to writhe around in agony for a bit." And going off the view he had of the incident, and the way he seemed to nervously look towards the ref shortly aftewards, as if waiting for a whistle, it's not an unreasonable interpretation of events.

Both Halsey and Wilkes equally culpable here. Linesman had a clear view yet chose to do nothing. Halsey's view was partially blocked but he didn't even have the sense to consult his linesman after seeing the coming together and the subsequent cries and injuries of Haidara.

i still remember the radio 5 documentary where they mic'd up the officials, before, during and after a game. the ref said  "i want hadballs in the box, offsides and nothing else from you" whats the linesman to do?

also, i may have posted this before, not sure, but  i was talking to someone i know (not really a friend) who, because of his son and wanting to help out at his kids footy is taking the refereeing stuff. they had a talk in with a local (north west) premier legaue referee. he's instructed that they aren't to referee a game, more manage an event, that we the supporters want to see games of 11 v 11 more than see the rules applied.  swearing at the ref is to be stamped on (they'll get marked down for it at lower levels if they let it pass) but to let it pass at higher to apply the rule of keep everyone on the pitch.

Brilliant news, so glad for him.

Think he's a fantastic player in the making from what I've seen, could be better than the last two LBs we've had which for me have been the best we've ever had.

Strong statement, but he's started better than those two by a fucking mile. Love his ability at head height.

i still remember the radio 5 documentary where they mic'd up the officials, before, during and after a game. the ref said  "i want hadballs in the box, offsides and nothing else from you" whats the linesman to do?

also, i may have posted this before, not sure, but  i was talking to someone i know (not really a friend) who, because of his son and wanting to help out at his kids footy is taking the refereeing stuff. they had a talk in with a local (north west) premier legaue referee. he's instructed that they aren't to referee a game, more manage an event, that we the supporters want to see games of 11 v 11 more than see the rules applied.  swearing at the ref is to be stamped on (they'll get marked down for it at lower levels if they let it pass) but to let it pass at higher to apply the rule of keep everyone on the pitch.

It wouldn't hurt to use a bit of common sense would it? If both ref and linesman are so rigid when it comes to pre-match instructions, how different are they from those incompetent fools at the FA. Halsey has a partially-block view of the impact but he has seen the before and aftermath of it, and Wilkes has a clear view of it. It's ridiculous that both of them can't even initiate any basic communication regarding the incident.

Granted the refs could be asked to manage matches like they would an event and try to keep a match flowing and players on the pitch. If minor incidents like swearing goes to pass, I can live with that. I doubt any fans will want to see a 11-on-11 if it was such a severe OTT challenge deserving of a dismissal though. Again, logic falls into play here. Refs are not asked to keep players at all costs.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Wait are you telling me NUFC has actually had some luck on the injury front for a change? There is a first time for everything :o.

If by some f***ing luck he's just terrible strained or bruised then this kid will go down as some legendary hard as nails b******.

Hard as Nails. Confirmed.

I'm so happy he's going to be ok. :clap:

Great stuff, hope he can get over the mental aspect of it pretty quickly too and not have his career hurt by this. :)

Developed a real hatred for Wigan through this whole thing, hope the horrendous cunts go down.