Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

To be fair I think the French press have an agenda here. Build our hopes up, backtrack, do it again get us more excited then smash said hopes into small tear shaped pieces. Payback for fleecing French clubs in the past!

Do not believe for a second..would be the best possible signing though...nah.

As a side note, this lad in and we're liable to fulfil my prophecy of a full foreign starting XI, bit of a shame if you ask me.

Interesting observation. Didn't really give it much thought that our most maligned players lately have been the two Englishmen, Simpson and Williamson.

Buying British is an expensive business though, ask Liverpool. Be more worrying if we didn't produce any homegrown talent in the future.

Sad thing is though it'd effectively be 3rd choice with Taylor's injury proneness.

True, hence the need for this/another high level transfer in this area to go through.

As a side note, this lad in and we're liable to fulfil my prophecy of a full foreign starting XI, bit of a shame if you ask me.

Don't mean to be a bit of a negative nelly, but i have an awful feeling we are only looking at Mbiwa because Coloccini is leaving and it will most likely be Taylor/Willo-Mbiwa if we were to sign him.

He'd be better than Perch/whoever esle is deemed to be 4th choice who isn't actually a CB.

Nah, Perch is a better CB than Hall, even though he isn't one.

Debatable IMO. I won't indulge though as it's fucking embarrassing we should even be considering either of those options at any time.

Interesting observation. Didn't really give it much thought that our most maligned players lately have been the two Englishmen, Simpson and Williamson.

Buying British is an expensive business though, ask Liverpool. Be more worrying if we didn't produce any homegrown talent in the future.

True RE: British players but given the last alleged trip to Paris which was about signing 'development/back up' players it would appear the youth development angle may have changed a bit. I'm far from an Englander when it comes to football but too me it very much symbolises how much of a soulless 'business' we've become amongst other things. Don't get me wrong I'll support whoever wheres the shirt just something I thought it worth pointing out. Probably worth a thread on it's own tbh.

French media advertise NUFC bid for player - cue other PL clubs to ting the French club involved and say 'ring us when you know what Newcastle are offering the player and we'll top it'...

They can do that because they know that in most cases, they CAN top it....

Name: Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa

Club: Montpellier HSC

Position: Centre-back

Nationality: French

Stuart MacFarlane/Getty Images

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, left, could be joining the Arsenal side his Montpellier team met last fall in Champions League play

The Sunday newspapers once more revived an old rumour  with reports that Montpellier captain Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa could be set for a move to Arsenal during this January transfer window. The  centre-back was an integral cog in La Palliade's shock Ligue 1 title win in the 2011-12 season and has already been considered one of the best young centre-backs in Europe for some time, with links to the continent's biggest clubs now a regular occurence.

Following Montpellier's title success last summer, rumours of Yanga-Mbiwa's impending Ligue 1 exit were at their strongest. Both Milan and Arsenal were heavily linked with a move for his services and some reports even suggested he turned down the Gunners. However, the situation has developed somewhat since that point, when there was only a year remaining on his contract, with the centre-back now committed to Montpellier until 2015.

In this context, suggestions the asking price has been cut to £3.5 million seem absurd. Far less absurd is that the North Londoners would show a serious interest in the three-time France international, or that the player would be keen to move.

The reigning Ligue 1 champions lie in 11th  and  bombed out of the Champions League in the Group Stage, with Yanga-Mbiwa helpless to prevent his side's plight. The captain has been fighting a losing battle and has continued to impress individually, but may consider it time to take his next step.

Technically gifted, the Central African Republic-born defender has plenty to offer any side. Arsenal like to retain possession and have encouraged defenders to get involved in the construction of play. It is certainly easy to see how he would fit in Arsene Wenger's plans in that respect.

In Thomas Vermaelan's early days, he was praised extensively for carrying the ball out of defence—a trait that Yanga-Mbiwa shares with the Belgian. However, the Montpellier man is arguably the better defender of the two.

Blessed with pace and power, the Frenchman is a master of the interception and has made this quality a defining feature of his game. His positional awareness is, for the most part, very good, leading to a high number of interceptions and clearances (stats via WhoScored). However, even if caught slightly off-guard, he normally has the speed required to mop up the situation.

Although not particularly tall at 6 feet, Yanga-Mbiwa has enough strength and spring in his jump to be considered good in the air, even if his talents demand that he should score more. His strongest attributes, though, lie more with the ball on the ground—both with and without the ball.

There has been talk in the English media that, with Bacary Sagna likely to be moving on from the Emirates in the near future, Yanga-Mbiwa may instead play at right back for the Gunners. Indeed, there is reasoning behind such a suggestion. He started his first-team career in the position back in 2007 and has filled in as a full-back on a couple of occasions this season.

However, despite the logical idea that Yanga-Mbiwa could offer the side extra protection in the position, it is highly unlikely the player would consider leaving his preferred centre-back role on a regular basis. It is simply not where his attributes are best utilised and would likely affect his future with the France national team.

With Montpellier set to miss out on European football in 2013, it is logical Yanga-Mbiwa will look to move elsewhere in the next six months, with the 2014 World Cup in mind. At present, he and PSG defender Mamadou Sakho look favourites to form a long-term centre-back partnership for Les Bleus. For the moment, though, it is Arsenal's Laurent Koscielny occupying that spot, alongside Sakho.

Unfortunately for Arsenal supporters, the defender recently spoke of his preference for a move to Manchester United should one come about. However, unless the Red Devils were to act upon their reported interest, his preference matters little in reality.

While recently quoted prices seem to be on the low side, any deal that would see his services secured for under 10 million euros would represent good value for the buyer. There are very few sides worldwide who would not benefit from a player of Yanga-Mbiwa's quality and Arsenal, with their strong French influence, may be the ideal place for him to continue his stready rise to the top of European football.

Last week Article but it shows how highly this guy is rated...

...and exactly why this will be completely dismissed over the next couple of days. Give it a weekend of silence and building rumors before it is all put out to pasture on Monday or Tuesday morning.

Still need a classy all round forward as well, as a centre half. Beef the squad up in the summer with a classy winger and some 21/20 year olds, a new manager that is tactically good. We have a squad capable of challeninging top 6 consistantly.

Nah, not getting excited. Not following this f***ing thread either :lol: the remy one killed me, nearly, seriously I'm now in a hospital bed....in sunderland :scared:

This ward?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2245958/Inside-Britains-FAT-ward-Where-clinically-obese-patients-weighing-47-stone-treated-reinforced-wheelchairs-industrial-weighing-scales.html

Not likely, I haven't ate since wednesday :lol:  :(

If we do sign a quality centre half then it may allow more flexibility with Colo.  We are going to have some free weekends having been knocked out of the cup so the club may allow him to take a couple of breaks in Argentina to help him through the rest of the season.